PoE switch question

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Initially I'm going to set up an 8 camera system. 6 will be DC 12V and 2 will be PTZ cams requiring AC 24V. Will a POE-SW881 be sufficient to power all 8 of these cameras?

Also, it seems like the 100mbps ports should be sufficient for full (smooth) 1080p video throughput, correct? Everything from the PoE gigabit port through to Blue Iris will be gigabit.

PC will be an i7-4790.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Initially I'm going to set up an 8 camera system. 6 will be DC 12V and 2 will be PTZ cams requiring AC 24V. Will a POE-SW881 be sufficient to power all 8 of these cameras?

Also, it seems like the 100mbps ports should be sufficient for full (smooth) 1080p video throughput, correct? Everything from the PoE gigabit port through to Blue Iris will be gigabit.

PC will be an i7-4790.
Dont confuse the voltages for the pigtail connections and the poe/poe+ options on the camera. Your ptz's probably require poe+..that switch is not a poe plus, despite a rating of 30w per port...I would go with a switch specifically states poe+

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dont confuse the voltages for the pigtail connections and the poe/poe+ options on the camera. Your ptz's probably require poe+..that switch is not a poe plus, despite a rating of 30w per port...I would go with a switch specifically states poe+
The PTZ cameras do specify that they require PoE+... If I get a PoE+ switch, will it step down to PoE for the 12V cameras?

Or... maybe I could get the PoE switch I mentioned (I will want to add a couple more 12V PoE cameras in the future) and then just get 2 PoE+ injectors for the PTZ's?

I should mention that I'm going to have a gigabit switch for other devices, so getting two separate injectors wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
12V PoE cameras in the future
Do you mean cameras that can be powered via either 12v or PoE? The 2 methods are quite separate.
6 will be DC 12V
That is not PoE and will not be provided by a PoE switch.

If I get a PoE+ switch, will it step down to PoE for the 12V cameras?
12v and PoE are separate and distinct.

2 will be PTZ cams requiring AC 24V.
So are these specified for being powered with either 24vAC or PoE+?

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you mean cameras that can be powered via either 12v or PoE? The 2 methods are quite separate.
That is not PoE and will not be provided by a PoE switch.
12v and PoE are separate and distinct.
So are these specified for being powered with either 24vAC or PoE+?
Hi alastairstevenson!

The 12V cameras only have the following description: "12V DC, PoE"
The 24V cameras only have the following description: "24V AC, PoE Plus"

From those descriptions I can only infer that they can be powered by either a 12 or 24 volt wall wart or a PoE (or PoE +) injector.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From those descriptions I can only infer that they can be powered by either a 12 or 24 volt wall wart or a PoE (or PoE +) injector.
From the descriptions implying either/or, I think your inference is correct.