POE Switch recommendation (20 ports or more) for a Blue Iris setup

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same for me.. house built in 2005, just RJ-11 and RG-6 everywhere. Basement already finished when we bought it. But.. they were smart, and did run a nice big PVC from basement to attic... so I can access 1st floor from basement drop ceiling, and 2nd floor from attic, all home-run to my switch in the basement. Learning how to drill holes in the house has been... interesting. :) Measure twice? Nah... measure like 50 times.... sweat profusely, and drill and hope for the best. ;-) So far so good...

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That suggestion for used enterprise grade switches was made, perhaps in the other thread, and I added some switches to the list; the vendor is listed as eBay in those instances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been using Ubiquiti for a good while now, not too hot, stable, and simply works.

The US-8-150W is what i started off with last year, just upgraded to US-24-250W this past week (ran well out of ports on the 8-port). Fairly pleased with it, despite two fans on it - it's not too noisy. Powering three POE AP's, 1 PTZ, and a couple Raspberry Pi POE hats from it currently.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of going with the Netgear GS724Tpv2 s for about $300 as a switch to connect about 20 cameras, maybe 15 or so which are PoE (the others have a DC adapter connection) to connect to computer using Blue Iris (BI).

NETGEAR GS724TPv2 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch | 24-Port 190W Power-over-Ethernet+ | ProSAFE Lifetime Protection

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J24KX7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_3PMvAbV6V20G6

Is this a good buy? Or should I spend the $100 more and opt for the Ubiquiti US-24-250W which is being used by @bctrainers above?

Or any other recommendation? Please.

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of going with the Netgear GS724Tpv2 s for about $300 as a switch to connect about 20 cameras, maybe 15 or so which are PoE (the others have a DC adapter connection) to connect to computer using Blue Iris (BI).

NETGEAR GS724TPv2 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch | 24-Port 190W Power-over-Ethernet+ | ProSAFE Lifetime Protection

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J24KX7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_3PMvAbV6V20G6

Is this a good buy? Or should I spend the $100 more and opt for the Ubiquiti US-24-250W which is being used by @bctrainers above?

Or any other recommendation? Please.

Thanks
I’m not sure of your cameras, but my turrets pull up to 13watts when IR is on. (I measured 11.9) Other PTZs can pull a lot more.

Will 190watts total be enough for you?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don’t forget there is a Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch version (not compatible with UniFi) for all switch “sizes” in the Ubiquiti UniFi line. Check my updated PoE Switch Suggestion list linked in my signature.

That said, if you ever think you might use access points in the future and go with ubiquiti if you go with Unifi you would have a complete unified system...eventually

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank
Don’t forget there is a Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch version (not compatible with UniFi) for all switch “sizes” in the Ubiquiti UniFi line. Check my updated PoE Switch Suggestion list linked in my signature.

That said, if you ever think you might use access points in the future and go with ubiquiti if you go with Unifi you would have a complete unified system...eventually

Thank you. I will look at this recommendation. When you mean access points, do you mean wifi access points? Sorry I know little about networking and computers but am willing to learn :)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I meant WAP’s

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure of your cameras, but my turrets pull up to 13watts when IR is on. (I measured 11.9) Other PTZs can pull a lot more.

Will 190watts total be enough for you?

what turret camera do you own that draws 13w...that is crazy high for a fixed camera...most draw 2-3 without ir and max 5 or so with ir...

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what turret camera do you own that draws 13w...that is crazy high for a fixed camera...most draw 2-3 without ir and max 5 or so with ir...
My brain said bullet, my fingers typed turret.

I have the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12

Documentation says “less than 13 Watts” and my POE+ switch measured it at 11.9 with IR on. This particular camera has a 200m IR range and looks like 4 IR lights.

With IR off it was 3.9 watts.

My IPC-HFW8232E-Z measured 9.6 Watts with IR on. As an aside, wow what a great low light camera!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Documentation says “less than 13 Watts” and my POE+ switch measured it at 11.9 with IR on. This particular camera has a 200m IR range and looks like 4 IR lights.

My IPC-HFW8232E-Z measured 9.6 Watts with IR on. As an aside, wow what a great low light camera!

that is because of the added ir...most use much less..

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Note the bright spot on the trees. Pretty impressive lighting considering my untrained eye.

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank

Thank you. I will look at this recommendation. When you mean access points, do you mean wifi access points? Sorry I know little about networking and computers but am willing to learn :)
That would be correct.

Currently, I have three Ubiquiti AP's (UAP-AC-Pro) connected to the 24 port Unifi 250watt switch. Each has a wattage consumption that ranges from 3.50 to 6.25 watts each. The PTZ i have it of the higher end (for obvious reasons) on the class POE specifications, its a class 4.

chrome_2018-01-11_20-31-51.png
With IR turned off, POE consumption on the PTZ becomes 9watts, 47.88V, 189.2mA.

One of the larger things to note with switches and POE is that you don't want to overload the total POE generated at the switch.

A good quick readup on POE classes: IEEE 802.3af (PoE) and IEEE 802.3at (PoE+) Support on Cisco Meraki MS Switches

Bill_GT3

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone used the netgear 728TP? Full poe with 8 poe+ outputs. Seems like decent gear for $160 new on ebay.

gunnerdog

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using a used Juniper EX4200 switch (EX2200 or EX3200 would also work just as well, get whichever one is cheaper) with 48 POE+ ports(10/100/1000). Found one on ebay for $145 and it even came with 1gbps fiber SPF modules for connection to my router. I have a separate VLAN set up for my cameras and the switch handles all that traffic without burdening my router.

It will handle up to 30 watts per channel (740 max watts POE on the switch) and I can confirm that it works with the UAP-AC-PROs as i have 2. I will likely never need 48 ports, and they make a 24 port version which is slightly cheaper but i like that it matches up to a 24 port rack mount patch panel (seriously, why are all 24 port switches set up so that all 24 ports are on one side in two rows when all rack mount patch panels are a single row?)so for only $145 why not go for 48?

The only issue is that the little 40mm fans are LOUD. I have it under the house, but if you are going to put this in a bedroom closet it may be an issue.

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
TP-Link switches. Those years of them having bad rep a long gone. They make great products and I've been using many small, big, unmanaged, managed, APs, routers and printer network adapters for couple of years without a single problem.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

It seems that your POE switch suggestions link is not working. FWIW

R

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right, I saw the link via iPhone but was too lazy to cut and paste multiple lines of url. :)

Since there was an active link on that page I though a link was intended.

R

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right, I saw the link via iPhone but was too lazy to cut and paste multiple lines of url. :)

Since there was an active link on that page I though a link was intended.

R
I must have messed that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro