POE Switch recommendation (20 ports or more) for a Blue Iris setup

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of setting up Blue Iris (BI) for my in home IP camera management. I am looking for recommendations for a good POE switch with about 20 ports or more, so that I can connect my cameras to that switch, and then that switch to the computer running BI.

Do you all have recommendations for a good switch? preferably 20 ports or more...

I heard that Cisco switches are very good, but they may be too expensive. Should I opt for that or are there other great options that you recommend?

I am in the USA.

Thank you

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, yes that reminds me...I was advised to get SFP Plus ports?

Also, I have only used an unmanaged switch previously, is a managed switch much more difficult to use?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of setting up Blue Iris (BI) for my in home IP camera management. I am looking for recommendations for a good POE switch with about 20 ports or more, so that I can connect my cameras to that switch, and then that switch to the computer running BI.

Do you all have recommendations for a good switch? preferably 20 ports or more...

I heard that Cisco switches are very good, but they may be too expensive. Should I opt for that or are there other great options that you recommend?

I am in the USA.

Thank you
I have a PoE switch suggestion list; see the link in my signature.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have used these, You can find these on Ebay for around 100.00
HP ProCurve 2520-24-PoE Managed Switch 24 Ports J9138A Rack Mountable

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That HP Procurve would work well...but if you're planning on 20 cameras at a high bit rate you may want to use a gigabit switch in place of a 100mbps switch.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@giomania @Q @mycoma yes thank you I have read those threads, but I was under the impression that they mostly recommended switches with like 8-12 ports, unless I missed something

I will revisit those threads in case I overlooked something

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@giomania @Q @mycoma yes thank you I have read those threads, but I was under the impression that they mostly recommended switches with like 8-12 ports, unless I missed something

It's true I don't have that many 24-port switches on there; maybe just one?

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can pick up a used 24 port Netgear FS727TP on eBay for <$100 <$60. 24 100mbps POE ports and 4 gigabit non-POE ports. I use them for phones, cameras, they work great.

If you need/want 24 gigabit POE ports you have the Netgear GS727TP. Well-bought used is around $100-125.

Last edited:

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

adamrx7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I love my Ubiquiti Unifi Switches. The cost more then some of the other recommendations but do more also.

SeanO

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, yes that reminds me...I was advised to get SFP Plus ports?
Those ports are for switch-to-switch communications so if you only have one they are useless. Well maybe not totally useless if you have a fiber connection to your modem.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought one of these 48 port POE switches off eBay for $40.
Linksys Cisco SRW248G4P 48 Port 10/100 1000mbps 4-port GigabitSwitch WebView PoE

They are pretty expensive enterprise switches when new. I guess companies dump them as soon as they go EOL.

It is a managed switch. I had never used a switch of any kind an knew nothing about them. Nice web interface too but I never use it.
I plugged it in and it has been running without reboot since August of last year, rock solid so far.
I plug in another camera and it just connects.
I'm sure it has a lot of interesting options to play around with and "manage" but I did not have to do a thing.
I have no need for anywhere near 48 POE ports but it was cheap and worked.
Note, this has a fan. I would not say it is all that loud, but you would not want it sitting in my living room or bedroom.
You would hear it somewhat through a closed hollow core closet door.
Mine is in an unfinished section of the basement so it is not an issue.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I added more 16 and 24-port switches to the list, including models noted in this thread. I also made it a Google sheets doc.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I splurged a bit and went with this: TP-Link T1600G-52PS JetStream 48-Port Gigabit Smart PoE+ Switch with 4 SFP Slots

It'll allow me to use it for all my networking throughout the home (non-PoE), my cameras, any additional poe powered IR Floods or mics, poe ubiquiti access points, etc.
It has a total power supply of 384Watts for all that stuff. Hoping it'll last 20 years! *cough*

So far.. in just a months time, it has been rock solid, super simple to setup (if you wanted to actually setup anything rather than just plug and go), good web interface, easy enough to setup a VLAN For the cameras, etc.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wish all my cables were home run to a single location, but the house was finished when we purchased it, with only telephone and RG-6 runs; it was 2005.

The basement was unfinished at the time, and I wired the first floor before finishing it.

I added drops as I went, and the needs expanded. Therefore, I have a patchwork installation, unfortunately, so I have switches all over the house. If only I could go back...

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Get a used cisco or other enterprise level switch . much cheaper than the suggestions and more robust.