POE switch recommendations...

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While I am also looking, you mentioned the usual...BV-Tech, Netgear, Cisco, etc. Missing is the Dahau which is a true 8 port, not 7+1. --9 Ports POE Switch - Wholesale products with online transaction Very decent price. Has anybody had experience with it? Can't tell from the photo but is it fan cooled or fanless? Noise is what is driving me to the switch vs the built in to NVR. Plus makes an easy transition if elect to go Blue Iris in future.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SAVideoman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have several Netgear ProSafe switches for my regular network unmanaged switches, and they are very well-built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrenD

n3wb
Reaction score
I was researching switch options from Amazon, and I noticed these two 802.3at (PoE+) compliant switches from "V7", and could not believe their prices. Too good to be true?

8-Port PoE+ Switch V7 PEGS8-1N 8 PORT Gigabit PoE+ 120W $48.46 as of 7/6/17

16-Port PoE+ Switch V7 PEGS16-1N 16 PORT Gigabit PoE+ 120W $99.95 as of 7/6/17
That is a great price. I'm considering buying two of the 8 port ones. I notice they are fan-less switches. Do you by chance know if that means they are more likely to overheat in warm conditions? I'm poking around the forum and the internets but thought I would ask as well.

Reaction score
You can get used HP Procurve switches on ebay for cheap, they have lifetime warranty to boot. I just bought a 24 port gigabit with poe for $190.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a great price. I'm considering buying two of the 8 port ones. I notice they are fan-less switches. Do you by chance know if that means they are more likely to overheat in warm conditions? I'm poking around the forum and the internets but thought I would ask as well.
I don't think it is too common for an 8-port PoE switch to have fans, which would seem to indicate they can design in sufficient passive thermal management. In other words, probably just a metal case with some (hopefully) strategically placed air vents.

Mark

DarrenD

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think it is too common for an 8-port PoE switch to have fans, which would seem to indicate they can design in sufficient passive thermal management. In other words, probably just a metal case with some (hopefully) strategically placed air vents.

Mark
Thank you, much obliged.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I still don't like the fact that manufacturers choose to dedicate only four ports as PoE to an 8-port switch, argh
You are looking at it the wrong way.. they are adding 4 regular a ports to a 4 Port poe switch.. there are many useful purposes for this...if you need 8 buy 8..

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah, that I know, lol -- its just that it is too bad we can't get a 8 PoE ports for that price :D

You are looking at it the wrong way.. they are adding 4 regular a ports to a 4 Port poe switch.. there are many useful purposes for this...if you need 8 buy 8..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I'm using right now, but does it ever get cheaper than that? I'm surprised the price hasn't gone lower
no, that is the price for an 8 port managed switch...everything cant be free...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score