PoE Switch Suggestion List

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey Tyler, I'm actually using that Extender Hub right now to power two cameras. It doesn't use a power adapter and is solely for use in IP cameras (as disclosed in specifications on Amazon). @nayr shared his review here, 1 to 4 PoE Extender It provides up to 25.5 watts of power. Each port supports PoE devices which are af compliant. However, this extender needs to be connected to an PoE at-type power source in order for it to fully work.

Also, as per your recommendation from that product listed on your online store, I'd still prefer active-PoE in this setup, and avoid Passive, as I want the flexibility of adding other PoE devices

I personally haven't used this particular switch (a customer was showing it to me the other day which is why I recalled it), so I wouldn't want to say 100% it will. But I'm 99% certain it will for two reasons: 1) it has a DC barrel port and 2) based on my experience with other RouterBoard products. I'll check with a guy I know who uses a lot of these.

However, I can say 100% our passive PoE switch will do 30 watts through the uplink port and have a back-up power supply through the DC barrel port. Full disclosure, this switch is sold by my company and it is Passive, so it doesn't do auto negotiation for the PoE power. Having said that, the other pros are that it's fanless and energy efficient. WS-GPOES-8-7

I also ran across a different Extender Hub that isn't backed up with DC power, but I'm interested to see if anyone has used one of these extenders successfully: http://amzn.to/2jaGy6U (Again, full disclosure, in case you don't recognize the URL type, this is an Amazon Affiliate link, however I'm genuinely interested to see if anyone has used and liked one of these extenders to see if I should recommend this to customers looking for this kind of thing).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Also, is there a PoE switch (extender) that is powered fully by PoE, but also contains an AC adapter (which can be plugged into a nearby outlet) that acts as a fail-safe in case that part of the network goes down? The D Link doesn't come with an AC adapter, nor does it support it.

In essence, is there a switch that can powered by both AC Adapter (connected to AC port) and PoE connected to uplink?

Seems like the Intellinet 561082, netis PE6105, both come with an AC Adapter, but can be powered by another PoE+ switch as an alternative; but I'm not sure if it can be powered by both at the same time.

This PoE Switch would be within close proximity to the NVR and act as the bridge between the main switch and the NVR. Thus, a few key cameras (especially in chokepoint areas) would be connected to this switch.

@Tyler Andrews does this switch support that feature?

I talked to some Mikrotik experts, and, yes, they work on DC power and pass through PoE.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I heard back from Intellinet regarding the PoE-Powered 5-Port Gigabit Switch with PoE Passthrough ( 561082), they stressed that Power Adapter and PoE (connected to uplink for power) cannot be used at the same time as a power source. That's a bummer. I've heard some users state that Mikrotik units tend to occasionally reset to default factory settings over time, thus not promising. Any other make & model suggestions?

doodles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
V7 MPEGS24-1N <- switch that is listed in the spreadsheet above is freaking awesome. I have one. For the price of $122 you get 24 ports of full POE+ managed switch. And a web interface that doesn't suck! And is actually very useful especially for a home switch. You can't beat it. The only questions is how long will it last... I had an older but still good HP POE switch that I took out of commission permanently because of this guy. It's actually more power efficient also.
The V7 gear looks to be the best bang for the buck, if it lasts. You have the option of managed or unmanaged switches in the 16 to 24 port range. The difference in price between the 16 port unmanaged and the 24 port managed is only $20. To me, the 24 port is a no brainer.

@jrf - On your V7, can you see the power draw for each device on a per port level in the Management interface?

Looks like the TP link and V7 are the strongest contenders. But V7 MPEGS24-1N is now priced at $399.00, are you sure it was the 24 port model listed at $122?

Also, how are the noise levels on the fan?

Definitely has a fan. I just plugged my new one in. Amazon reviews argued back and forth about whether it has a fan or not but I think they blend the 8 port and 16 port reviews into the same pot, so to speak. It's not LOUD, but not silent either. Definitely noticeable even when my CPU cooler fan is spun up (stock i7-3770 cooler). Time will tell if it'll blend in for me or bug me. It's in a server/storage room, so it's not like it's in a living room. Definitely wouldn't want it in a room where you'd need quiet. I might stick it on the far end of the room and keep the 8 port switch at the computer end for a few convenient plugins.

BTW, it's rack mountable, has an internal power brick, and desktop feet, but no bottom screw keyholes for hanging on a wall. The included rack brackets can, however, be rotated so that you can mount the switch flat on the wall behind your desk with the front LAN ports facing down, which is how I usually prefer to mount my switches. I put 'em up above my eye height when sitting so I can see the lights and the cables hang straight down.

The TL-SG1016PE is now listed at $119.00 which isn't bad, but how has it held up? Fan whine anymore noticeable then the day you opened it? Noise would be the only compelling reason to purchase it over the 24 port V7 (assuming it's price returns to $122).

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a switch a posted a few posts back the "Intellinet" it can do BOTH as in be powered off the uplink port FROM a Poe switch and also provided POE power. It also has the option to add an AC adapter to power it from a wall outlet. However I'm not sure what you are looking for because if the main switch powering it goes down. Even if a remote switch has power are you just hoping to continue recording to SD card? Because you won't have any traffic flowing back to a NVR or such. At that point just put a UPS on the main switch.
I believe that these are all "POE Passthrough" switches which also have the capability to be powered by POE themselves...

Intellinet Network Solutions - PoE-Powered 5-Port Gigabit Switch with PoE Passthrough (561082)

GS105PE – ProSAFE Plus 5-Port Gigabit PoE Pass Through Switch

D-Link Smart Managed 5-Port PoE powered Gigabit Switch (DGS-1100-05PD) | D-Link

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But V7 MPEGS24-1N is now priced at $399.00, are you sure it was the 24 port model listed at $122?
Glad I got them at $122!!! Yep the Amazon price is now $399. I was thinking that might have been a mistake.

Reaction score

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I created a list of PoE switches from suggestions I came across on this site and from searching Amazon. I created it in Excel, but cannot upload that file, so I had to zip it. Let me know if there are any you want me to add any, or add any columns with other data. I would be interested to hear testimonials about build quality and/or durability over time in extreme environments, like attics. I found it useful to have all this data in this format, and hope others do as well.

Mark
Thanks for the list. Just a suggestion but you might want to convert this to a Google Sheets doc and share that out instead. Will allow you to keep it updated easier as well as eliminate concerns that the spreadsheet might contain malware.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I looked over the list and it's super helpful. One thing I'm not sure about though is the best choice for my use case. Specifically I am planning on putting the switch in the attic where it can get pretty hot in the summer. So I'm looking at the units with fans and was also thinking managed to view port power consumption. Camera wise I'm looking at probably 4-6 cams, likely the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z varifocal/starlight.

Any suggestions on these where I'll meet the following requirements:
1) Be rugged enough to perform well and be reliable in a higher than normal heat condition?
2) Is managed (mainly for viewing port power consumption assuming I am trying to be budget conscious and not buy with a lot of extra power overhead)
3) Can handle 4-6 of the HDW5231R-Zs and maybe 1-2 PTZ units... or other units that might consume more power than the 5231Rs.

Looking at the list the first one that seems to fit the bill is the TP-Link TL-SG1016PE. I'd consider the Ubiquity US-8-150W however I'm not thrilled with having to have a client service running for management... however I DO have a Windows domain running at home 24/7 so I could run the client service there if the Ubiquity was good enough to justify it over say the TP-link.

That said does anyone have any other suggested models? I don't have all my cameras yet so I was debating going with 1 or 2 POE injectors temporarily and then going with a switch, maybe something a bit better than the two above, once I have the rest of my cameras. At that point I might bump my budget a bit.

Sorry I missed on on the $122 V7... I was going to jump on that!

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like the attic probably a dumb idea... so nixing that idea. Just going to have to run lines together into the attic from the server room/office. Bleh!

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I looked over the list and it's super helpful. One thing I'm not sure about though is the best choice for my use case. Specifically I am planning on putting the switch in the attic where it can get pretty hot in the summer. So I'm looking at the units with fans and was also thinking managed to view port power consumption. Camera wise I'm looking at probably 4-6 cams, likely the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z varifocal/starlight.

Any suggestions on these where I'll meet the following requirements:
1) Be rugged enough to perform well and be reliable in a higher than normal heat condition?
2) Is managed (mainly for viewing port power consumption assuming I am trying to be budget conscious and not buy with a lot of extra power overhead)
3) Can handle 4-6 of the HDW5231R-Zs and maybe 1-2 PTZ units... or other units that might consume more power than the 5231Rs.

Looking at the list the first one that seems to fit the bill is the TP-Link TL-SG1016PE. I'd consider the Ubiquity US-8-150W however I'm not thrilled with having to have a client service running for management... however I DO have a Windows domain running at home 24/7 so I could run the client service there if the Ubiquity was good enough to justify it over say the TP-link.

That said does anyone have any other suggested models? I don't have all my cameras yet so I was debating going with 1 or 2 POE injectors temporarily and then going with a switch, maybe something a bit better than the two above, once I have the rest of my cameras. At that point I might bump my budget a bit.

Sorry I missed on on the $122 V7... I was going to jump on that!
I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, and really love the build quality. I am thinking I am going to go with all Ubiquiti, but over time. Like you, I have a machine running 24/7/365, so can run the "UniFi" ??? management software on that machine.

There was a bit of debate about the V7 switches (too cheap to be true, probably crap, etc.) and then the price spiked.

If you can use injectors and can wait, set up Amazon price watches for your desired options at www.camelcamelcamel.com

Decisions, decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ubiquiti also makes a rack-mountable ES-16-150 Edgeswitch with 16 Gigabit POE ports and 2 SFP ports. It isn't part of the Unifi line so it is managed through the web GUI, SSH, or a console cable if you really screw it up. It supports 24v passive and 802.3af/at POE. It has at least one fan.

If, like me, you're planning on eventually having 8-9 cameras, then the 8 port switches are out since you'll only net 7 usable after the uplink. Even the models with 8 POE + SFP could leave you no room for expansion down the line.

Ubiquiti Networks - EdgeSwitch™

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter, and really love the build quality. I am thinking I am going to go with all Ubiquiti, but over time. Like you, I have a machine running 24/7/365, so can run the "UniFi" ??? management software on that machine.

There was a bit of debate about the V7 switches (too cheap to be true, probably crap, etc.) and then the price spiked.

If you can use injectors and can wait, set up Amazon price watches for your desired options at www.camelcamelcamel.com

Decisions, decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will probably go with a couple of injectors until the beginning of the new year when I start investing in the full camera setup. I have one on order for delivery this weekend and will see how it works out. Thanks for the tip on Camel, I shop on Amazon a lot (too damn much) and this will help me save some money. I've already pretty much bought Bezos a house on what I've spent there since 2006 ;)

Ubiquiti also makes a rack-mountable ES-16-150 Edgeswitch with 16 Gigabit POE ports and 2 SFP ports. It isn't part of the Unifi line so it is managed through the web GUI, SSH, or a console cable if you really screw it up. It supports 24v passive and 802.3af/at POE. It has at least one fan.

If, like me, you're planning on eventually having 8-9 cameras, then the 8 port switches are out since you'll only net 7 usable after the uplink. Even the models with 8 POE + SFP could leave you no room for expansion down the line.

Ubiquiti Networks - EdgeSwitch™
I'm actually kicking around picking up a Dell X1026/P which I can get with some decent discounts due to my business relationship with Dell. I have a good friend who uses these switches for all of their camera systems across a number of large scale locations and has said they work very well for them. But it's still early and I'm researching and learning, so no firm decisions yet. I also have plans to pickup a Netgear 10GB managed switch in the next couple of months as well so trying to not go too crazy on the networking side of my addition. :)

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That v7 switch looks interesting. Unlike a lot of switches, it has a decent POE power budget and looks like it does POE on all the ports, not just half. It is unmanaged, but I already have a managed switch and I could stick this whole switch onto a VLAN with the port VLAN ID configuration. The only thing is that I've never heard of v7 so I have no idea how reliable it might be.

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I created a list of PoE switches from suggestions I came across on this site...
In your PoE list, for the Ubiquiti switches "A UniFi Cloud Key (~$80) or Management Station / PC running 24/7/365 and the UniFi Controller software (free) is required to manage this switch, as there is no web interface to manage it directly." isn't totally accurate. First: As long as you turn off "connectivity monitor" (it's enabled by default) in the site controller settings there's no need to keep the controller up 24/7/365, you only have to fire up the controller to make configuration changes:

And the switches come default setup for PoE+ on every port so will work out of the box in most cases (without having to configure anything). If you do have to configure it you can use the Ubiquiti mobile app (no need for a cloud key or controller software). I use them on a lot of camera installs:

I didn't see any Planet switches in your list? I have used them in quite a few installs as well, i.e. 8 Port PoE with dual gigabit uplink (RJ45 or SFP): FGSD-1022VHP. They are $139USD from our supplier:

For injectors for speed domes we use these 60 watt injectors (no problems with heaters/fans/wipers): https://video.xortec.de/media/pdf/130290129.pdf

-Jamie M.

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

jcorbin121

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinion or first hand knowledge of the Netgear JGS524PE 24 port switch? I saw only 2 reviews one was good and one said they had issues powering their cameras.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score