PoE Switch Suggestion List

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@IAmATeaf - couple of different thoughts. If you can get a quality professional grade switch on ebay many will go for that.

Some people are of the mindset to split cameras across several POE switches so if one goes bad, you do not lose all of your cameras. Others prefer to spend more for a quality professional grade switch to handle everything.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Above all, get more ports than you think you may need. If you think you may need ten go for 16 or 24 total. I have my cameras split between two 16 port IPCamPower switches that feed the second NIC in the BI server.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I think my switch issues are sorted, hopefully.

Just picked up a HP 2530-24G PoE+ 24 port managed switch for £20 plus around £15 in petrol money to drive and pick it up.

Did a simple power on test before purchasing to make sure the fault light goes out after the self test but still need to give it a through test.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
15 pounds worth of petrol? I don't want to know what the price is per liter! I can drive my F150, 4x4, about 300 miles on the equivalent amount of fuel here in the Great Nanny State.

GaryCAa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To create a vlan with tag "100", it's one line:
vlan 100

To add an interface to that vlan, it's two lines. Go to your specific interface, then assign the vlan:
interface g1/0/10
switch access vlan 100

So let's say you have a 48-port switch and want to create two vlans, 100 and 200, and put half of the interfaces in each vlan. Here are your commands:

config t
vlan 100
vlan 200
interface range g1/0/1 - 24
switchport access vlan 100
no shut <------ you may not need this line
interface range g1/0/25 - 48
switchport access vlan 200
no shut <------ you may not need this line
end
write memory

So if you don't count the config and end and save commands, it's 6 lines. The "no shut" command may be needed if the ports were shutdown. Plug your Blie Iris server into both VLANs (like port 24 (vlan 100) and port 25 (vlan 200) ). Your router would connect to one VLAN only.

Think of this configuration as having two separate 24-port switches.
Thanks [B]reflection[/B], for giving such a complete reply. I have a Cisco 3750-48 POE switch and it is on my ipcam bucket list to split my system up in dual vlans. Unfortunately, I do not know where to start. Your post has given me a starting point, and hopefully it will point others in the same direction.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
didn't see them on the list, but I have a couple BV-Tech POE-SW502G PoE+ switches that have 6 total ports, 4 are PoE+ (and one of those has a toggle for extra pookah for a long haul), plus 2 regular gigE ports for uplink and downlink... they run on a 48V 1.25A mini-brick PSU and have been working fine, running a motly assortment of cameras.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’d love to see a 24 or 48 POE/POE+ gigabit unmanaged switch. And I mean every port is a gigabit. One day I hope cameras will be able to push a gig.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’d love to see a 24 or 48 POE/POE+ gigabit unmanaged switch. And I mean every port is a gigabit. One day I hope cameras will be able to push a gig.
stack a couple of these,
(hmm, ok, out of stock nearly everywhere, ooops... and oh yeah, thats a $300 managed switch, so double ooops).

me, I would probably distribute 8+2 port dumb switches closer to clusters of cameras rather than run all the camera cables from one place, especially with that many. like here, a switch at each end of the house, each with a Ethernet to my house switch means much less wire.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Any Cisco switches recommended here?

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
real Cisco stuff is expensive, and requires annual support contracts that are about 30% of the hardware cost. Linksys "Cisco" stuff isn't much different than any other consumer brand (netgear, dlink, tplink, etcetc). Anyways, does Cisco even do PoE+ except for supporting their own devices ?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a real 26 port cisco switch bought from ebay for about $80, 5 years ago, and haven' t had to spend anything for support.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a real 26 port cisco switch bought from ebay for about $80, 5 years ago, and haven' t had to spend anything for support.
so it has 5+ year old firmware? or is this a dumb switch? I would not run a Cisco Catalyst (managed) switch in any sort of production environment without a support contract so I could keep the firmware up to date.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i'm running a 3560 catalyst Layer 3 switch in an offline BI environment. but its in dumb mode. I just need POE power to be solid, 802.3 AT. Theres no way i was doing power injectors all the hell over the Rack.
[TD]WS-C3560X-24P-S[/TD]

[TD]24 PoE+[/TD]

[TD]power supply 715W[/TD]

[TD]Avilable to POE 435W[/TD]​
my second redundant power supply is an 1100 watt for the 48 port switch.
$75 ebay

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
so it has 5+ year old firmware? or is this a dumb switch? I would not run a Cisco Catalyst (managed) switch in any sort of production environment without a support contract so I could keep the firmware up to date.
For the environment that most camers will run the switch in ie just to power the cams and no internet access on that VLAN/subnet unless there is an impacting bug why does the age of the firmware matter?

BillRitz

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine is a 16 port Yuanley POE switch. I wanted one reasonable priced and rack mountable, and I think I found it on Amazon for about $129. No problems with it after 6 months.