Poe to poe switch?

dalepa

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like it would probably work as long as the cameras don't each use more than about 6 or 7 watts. Looks like it is fed from one PoE port and it lists the 802.3af standard which means I think 15.4 watts is all the power it will have available.

If you have an electric outlet at the location, you could easily just put a cheap PoE switch there and power both cameras off the switch, no worrying about overloading a single PoE line by using it to power a switch and two cameras.

dalepa

Reaction score
That looks like it would probably work as long as the cameras don't each use more than about 6 or 7 watts. Looks like it is fed from one PoE port and it lists the 802.3af standard which means I think 15.4 watts is all the power it will have available.

If you have an electric outlet at the location, you could easily just put a cheap PoE switch there and power both cameras off the switch, no worrying about overloading a single PoE line by using it to power a switch and two cameras.
I buried a cable underground on about a 200ft run to get to my cam via POE, and was hoping not to dig another run... No electrical outlet near the camera... The BV-Tech looks like it will work...

Any suggestions for a waterproof case for the BV-Tech? This box looks like it will work for $25: Arlington EB1111-1 Electronic Equipment Enclosure Box, 11" x 11" x 3.5", Non-Metallic, 1-Pack - Switch And Outlet Plates - Amazon.com

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I buried a cable underground on about a 200ft run to get to my cam via POE, and was hoping not to dig another run... No electrical outlet near the camera... The BV-Tech looks like it will work...

Any suggestions for a waterproof case for the BV-Tech? This box looks like it will work for $25: Arlington EB1111-1 Electronic Equipment Enclosure Box, 11" x 11" x 3.5", Non-Metallic, 1-Pack - Switch And Outlet Plates - Amazon.com

So let me get this straight you dug a 200ft long trench for one cable? Did you run the wire thru pvc like your suppose to? if you did i don't see the issue with pulling another cable disconnect said ethernet cable from device tape new line from a to already run line and use that line to pull MORE THEN ONE CABLE thru always pull extras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight you dug a 200ft long trench for one cable? Did you run the wire thru pvc like your suppose to? if you did i don't see the issue with pulling another cable disconnect said ethernet cable from device tape new line from a to already run line and use that line to pull MORE THEN ONE CABLE thru always pull extras.
...maybe he used burial grade cable...regardless, he found a solution that is much easier than running a new cable..

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with code2 with pulling in more cables than you require or at the very least pull through a draw wire.

dalepa

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1428257165053.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428257184472.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428257214924.jpgView attachment 3095The telephone company was bringing a line in from about 100 feet to my bay rv. I asked if I could add a cat6 cable at the last minute and he said no problem. Only had cat6, but it worked and saved me a hard dig. working setting up several nature cams... just having fun.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
View attachment 3096View attachment 3097View attachment 3098View attachment 3095The telephone company was bringing a line in from about 100 feet to my bay rv. I asked if I could add a cat6 cable at the last minute and he said no problem. Only had cat6, but it worked and saved me a hard dig. working setting up several nature cams... just having fun.

Should be a pull line in there is the telephone company did it. you can tap one of the pairs for power I'm sure the used cat 5 in their pull

dalepa

Reaction score
No they just burried a single 25 pair cable. It's the country out here. 1st time for power and a phone line laid here... uploadfromtaptalk1428257764597.jpg

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No they just burried a single 25 pair cable. It's the country out here. 1st time for power and a phone line laid here... View attachment 3099

So its a 50 pair then what we consider a 25 pair to them is a 50. Don't ask me why but my father has 40 years with att back till when they were IL bell and pairs to them are single wires. You can with ease tap for power :) tho not sure how the phone company would like that