PoE Wall plate connection

Carlgr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there. Newbie question here. Hoping some previous posts can be linked or suggestions offered.

I am going to go with a simple PoE 4 camera system.

What I'm wondering about is the cleanest/most efficient way of having the ethernet exiting the wall in being plugged into the NVR

1. Run the 4 ethernet wires and terminate them into a 4 port wall plate, then connect to NVR?
2. Have some sort of switch up in the attic and run the 4 wires into the switch and then only 1 wire out of the wall to the NVR?

I've gone through the cliff notes and youtube videos but can't find info on specifically running ethernet from 4 cameras out of the wall and into the NVR in the cleanest way possible..
Thanks in advance for any replies!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - also search for installation pictures here .. I have a PVC tube coming down from the attic to my network closet ..

btw - vent for the closet here .. some ideas in the thread

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You'll need these, too -

I've have a two gang behind my desk and will be adding a second two gang, These cameras keep multiplying like rabbits! Where did I hear that before?
The EXACT brand and count I bought from amazon in 2019 when installing 4 each CAT-6 drops from attic down inside walls to office areas in a construction co. office (converting them from wireless). Cheap, quick, easy to install, holds the plate for the keystone jack great.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Late to the party for this one.
For residential purposes...I personally HATE surface faceplates with jacks. For fear the patch cord head will be jammed or snapped off by furniture or such. In my house, I use recessed faceplates for cat6 jacks/faceplate and fur strip for audio/video stuff. Mind you, this pic has electrical outlet. I have 4 port faceplate in it's place.
images (1).jpg

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The only thing I'll add to the great information provided by other members here is take the time to select plates and brackets that sit as flush as possible to the wall. If this is your first time ever using low voltage frames you'll quickly find out the market has everything from complete shit to awesome . . .

I've always had great success with the Carlon branded low voltage frames. They are made extremely well and include everything to line up the hole. Cheaper variants found on Amazon are paper thin and 9 X out of 10 the retaining clip once tightened will snap off - besides not sitting flush.

I've had great results (surprisingly to me) using VCE branded keystone wall plates. The one's I found at Home Depot from large makers such as Leviton / LeGrand did not sit flush to the wall?!? :angry:

Lastly, it goes without saying be a wood cutter and Measure Twice - Cut Once check, double check, triple check, the area before you cut a hole or drill into any wall. The Internet is riddled with examples of Oh Shit moments where its really only time and money.

Whereas in some cases its a loss of life and property. :facepalm:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI -

used to buy wall plates from Monoprice .. used to be very affordable...

looks like the prices are significantly higher now .. recall getting these for $0.59 when I bought 20+ ..

1637694275066.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The only thing I'll add to the great information provided by other members here is take the time to select plates and brackets that sit as flush as possible to the wall. If this is your first time ever using low voltage frames you'll quickly find out the market has everything from complete shit to awesome . . .

I've always had great success with the Carlon branded low voltage frames. They are made extremely well and include everything to line up the hole. Cheaper variants found on Amazon are paper thin and 9 X out of 10 the retaining clip once tightened will snap off - besides not sitting flush.
Yeah, I hate the frames with the metal pieces that you fold back around the drywall. Those things never fit very well. Those that you screw in as you linked to are a much better way to go.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind as it relates to the keystone wall plates is buying the ones that are properly spaced apart. The Internet is riddled with stories where Y vs X brand would not install side by side because the spacing was too close together.

There are edge cases where a specific brand and model keystone is obviously too big from the industry standard. Regardless double check the keystone you intend to use vs the keystone plate cover. Also, if you have even a mild dose of OCD be prepared to see different shades of white! :banghead:

Below from right to left is a VCE six port plate which is shiny in texture, the other is a LeGrand that is flat in finish, the small white thing is a blanking plate also from VCE which doesn't match their own color of white! :facepalm: At the end are some examples of larger (yellow grey) keystone jacks vs the industry standard (red white) jacks.