Poor Night Vision (DS-2CD2532F-IS)

jfmd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
Over the winter months the night vision of one of my external cameras (Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS) started to deteriorate rapidly up to the point where you couldn't see anything at all.
Long story short I replaced it and decided to clean it up and install it inside to see if there is any improvement.
Just checked the footage and, whilst the night vision is better than it was, it's still terrible!
Please can I have a second opinion on the attached images (image 3 is the night vision quality) and let me know if there's anything I can do here?

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like there may be no IR active.
Can you see the dull red glow of the IR LEDs when the camera is in night mode?
It would also be useful to know what image settings away from the defaults you have used.

jfmd

n3wb
Reaction score
That looks like there may be no IR active.
Can you see the dull red glow of the IR LEDs when the camera is in night mode?
It would also be useful to know what image settings away from the defaults you have used.
Thanks for the reply.
The IR light is turned on in the software but I haven't checked it turns on at night yet.
Attached are screenshots of the image settings.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd drop DNR down - though that would mostly affect motion ghosting/blur, and see what difference WDR off makes.
And eyeball the IR LEDs.

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
two of my 2CD2132's seemed to have a broken IR after a couple of years. I found that swapping from auto-switch to scheduled timer instantly re-enabled the IR.

There is certainly no IR coming from your camera. So lets get that going before any further adjustments.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
+1 on WDR as mentioned by alastair...that is exactly what will happen when set to 100..

jfmd

n3wb
Reaction score
two of my 2CD2132's seemed to have a broken IR after a couple of years. I found that swapping from auto-switch to scheduled timer instantly re-enabled the IR.

There is certainly no IR coming from your camera. So lets get that going before any further adjustments.
The camera is at the office so unfortunately I wasn't able to check if the lights came on or not.
One thing I did configure yesterday was to swap from auto-switch to scheduled timer to see if this re-activated the IR but unfortunately the picture was the same.
I didn't get chance to change the WDR so I'll turn this off today and see if anything changes tomorrow.

Thanks again for the responses guys.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
The IR light is turned on in the software but I haven't checked it turns on at night yet.
Attached are screenshots of the image settings.
Under Day Night Switch- "Smart Supplement Light" is selected to "Off". Is that referring to the on board IR light?

I've got different model Hikvisions, but for best night results I've totally disabled WDR.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Smart light just turns the LED down if there is an object close to the camera causing overexposure. With that camera placement leaving it off is probably best.

Reaction score
DS-2CD2532F-IS supports only 10meter IR
Hence use DS-2CD2332-I for better night vision upto 30mteter IR Range

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
DS-2CD2532F-IS supports only 10meter IR
Hence use DS-2CD2332-I for better night vision upto 30mteter IR Range
True - however if you look at the images, it's an entrance hallway of just a few meters, not an external view.
And it looks like there is no IR active.