Possible Plate? Anyone good enough to "enhance"

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The truck was Identified via Facebook from the other pics and video. The owner contacted me and was not the driver. It is being handled responsibly and privately.
I have a feeling that Daddy might be cutting a fresh switch...

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being a Graphics Professional, designer, artist in the GCIU union for years, It's very simple to say that your video does not have enough information to pull detail from that image. I even dropped your image on a 600 res blank page and there is no way at all to make it better.plate.jpg

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being a Graphics Professional, designer, artist in the GCIU union for years, It's very simple to say that your video does not have enough information to pull detail from that image. I even dropped your image on a 600 res blank page and there is no way at all to make it better.View attachment 24290
Thank you for your time. I have placed my order and hope to have good plate pics in the future. Thanks again

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I find a good way to get a plate number from lousy footage is to just watch the footage when it's blown up. The human eye can piece together pixels of video quite well when a given still doesn't really have much info in it. Zoom in and then rock it back and forth and see what you can tell.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very true, the video would have more info per between snapped image frames and also can be overlaid to create a better picture. Snap shots kinda subtract the in between frames which might hold more info to work with.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It's more like your brain can make sense of complicated moving data and you can sometimes make out different digits at different points in the video. Same thing goes for recognizing faces from moving video. A half-useless smear of a still can come from video that can be reasonably recognizable. That's kinda why I have a high standard for video quality. You want the stills to be clear even when you think the video is decent because often you just get to share the stills. People see a pic in one whole second but need to commit to watching a video if they even have the option. A good crisp pic is the real money shot.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your time. I have placed my order and hope to have good plate pics in the future. Thanks again

another thing to consider is that it appears from you images that you are not using direct to disk recording...if so some detail may be lost via encoding if you left the settings at default.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow you guys are right. Its all ok now I think since the owner contacted me although I havent been able to get ahold of him today.... I think using VLC zoomed in, video darkened, contrast up, and played slow I can make a partial plate. Ill post the video so you can play if you want to for purley "fun". Be interesting if you guys see the same I see. I can tell you its a 6 digit plate.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
another thing to consider is that it appears from you images that you are not using direct to disk recording...if so some detail may be lost via encoding if you left the settings at default.
I am using direct to disk. The uploaded pic was a snapshot captured by the cam which I,have set to 100% JPEG quality. I will post the video in a minute

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also may download at the link take out the ZZZ's

ZZZZhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1SBhY-x6Lao5aov8J2o3Vs-LvM3nHYsQE/view?usp=sharingZZZZ

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also may download at the link take out the ZZZ's

ZZZZhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1SBhY-x6Lao5aov8J2o3Vs-LvM3nHYsQE/view?usp=sharingZZZZ
did you add the timestamp at export? if not that camera is not set to direct to disk..

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe so. My bad. This is my first experience at exporting anything from BI. I am a BI newb by all reasoning. I am 99.9% sure I have Direct to Disc enabled. I will check on Sunday

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was right the guy is an idiot. Mythbusters proved that tail gates down dont improve gas mileage. Maybe they improve rock throwing or something.
I know. Could have seen the plate earlier in the video if tailgat was up. Funny part is when he returned 20 min later tailgate was up. But no angles for plate

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Tailgates down reduce fuel mileage by 2% but increase rear lift (decrease traction) by a huge amount on the highway. Dangerous, counterproductive, and leads to a bunch of crap littering the roads from stuff falling out.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since this thread was resurected I'll post that I now have a plate cam up at this location and 2 at my dads shop. Still tweaking. Delaware plates are a real bitch to capture. They are flat (not textured) and blue and gold (low contrast) and only on the rear of vehicles. With some dusty plates (not visibly soiled) the plate is illegible. I am actually thinking about installing some flood lights and disabling IR

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since this thread was resurected I'll post that I now have a plate cam up at this location and 2 at my dads shop. Still tweaking. Delaware plates are a real bitch to capture. They are flat (not textured) and blue and gold (low contrast) and only on the rear of vehicles. With some dusty plates (not visibly soiled) the plate is illegible. I am actually thinking about installing some flood lights and disabling IR

Have you been here: LPR