Possibly no need for junction box?

osja

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, first post after a few weeks of reading.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Dahua IPC-T2231T-ZS. I will add more going forward, but per forum recommendations I will start with a varifocal to find out what focal lengths, sensor sizes and resolutions I will need for my yard. To use as an overview cam I will place it quite far up on the side of the wall, close to the roof. I know this might not allow me to ID, but it will mostly be for knowing if there's a car coming and seeing wildlife. Other cams will ID. On the other side of the wall is the attic with the PoE outlet. I don't see a need to use a junction box, since I can attach the camera directly to the wall and route the cable straight through it. Would a junction box (such as PFA130-E) add any benefits that I am missing?

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, first post after a few weeks of reading.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Dahua IPC-T2231T-ZS. I will add more going forward, but per forum recommendations I will start with a varifocal to find out what focal lengths, sensor sizes and resolutions I will need for my yard. To use as an overview cam I will place it quite far up on the side of the wall, close to the roof. I know this might not allow me to ID, but it will mostly be for knowing if there's a car coming and seeing wildlife. Other cams will ID. On the other side of the wall is the attic with the PoE outlet. I don't see a need to use a junction box, since I can attach the camera directly to the wall and route the cable straight through it. Would a junction box (such as PFA130-E) add any benefits that I am missing?
Hi @osja

imho I like junction boxes as I can make a smaller hole through the wall to only pass the cat6 cable through, and thus imho I get a better seal also when doing this and do not disturb any insultation in the wall. ( well, disturb less insultation )

Since you are in Sweden, imho that's what I would try to do to help reduce loss of heat from any holes I would make in the wall ..

btw - I prefer the PFA-121 and PFA-122 boxes as they share the same base, and you can just change out the lids when you need a camera which has 3 or 4 screws...

Last edited: