Power setting and CPU utilization

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There was a post on the power setting on some windows systems and the effect on Blue Iris cpu utilization. I have a blue iris running on a Windows WHS 2011 system. I change the power setting from balanced to high performance. The cpu load for BI dropped fof 41% to 25%. What in the power settings would cause a drop in CPU utilization ? Is going to high performance need if the CPU utilization is only 41 %

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on a number of posts it appears that this dramatic change occurs only on the server OS... No idea why there is a difference between the server OS and Windows 10. I would hook it up to a power consumption meter and use the setting that pulls less power.

brodown

n3wb
Reaction score
My setup:

Dell optiplex i5-4590 MT, 8 gb ram, running windows 10

Cameras:
2x HDW2231R-ZS 2mp

I followed all directions in the wiki for power consumption, and my CPU usage was hovering around 19-22%. I changed my power setting to High Performance and now my CPU is around 5%

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Minimum and Maximum Processor State under Processor Power Management in the Power Options also regulates things like this.

Look at what they are set, when you set the plan to Balanced or High Power.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My setup:

Dell optiplex i5-4590 MT, 8 gb ram, running windows 10

Cameras:
2x HDW2231R-ZS 2mp

I followed all directions in the wiki for power consumption, and my CPU usage was hovering around 19-22%. I changed my power setting to High Performance and now my CPU is around 5%
Interesting. Switched to High Performance and didn't see any changes.