Powerful PC or Dedicated Powerful PC

Reaction score
Been reading through the wiki to determine a plan of action in terms of hardware to run Blue Iris with around 10 cameras for my business.

However, I'm also currently looking to piece together an editing station as well.

When talking about hardware for BI are we referencing a dedicated system that specifically runs BI all day and nothing else, or simply a guide to a powerful enough system to handle the job.

I understand a lot of this will come down to specific hardware capabilities, but generally speaking would a powerful computer that is used as an editing station also be able to run BI as well.

Would use programs like Premiere, Photoshop, Resolve, and also render media. For the most part I can get away with using a laptop with only 8GB RAM.

For my budget, would prefer to purchase 1 great motherboard and 1 great processor with 16GB RAM rather than split my budget into 2 separate machines.

Going to have someone more knowledgable than me guide me through this process, but was looking for some insight from someone with BI experience.

Thanks for the help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Been reading through the wiki to determine a plan of action in terms of hardware to run Blue Iris with around 10 cameras for my business.

However, I'm also currently looking to piece together an editing station as well.

When talking about hardware for BI are we referencing a dedicated system that specifically runs BI all day and nothing else, or simply a guide to a powerful enough system to handle the job.

I understand a lot of this will come down to specific hardware capabilities, but generally speaking would a powerful computer that is used as an editing station also be able to run BI as well.

Would use programs like Premiere, Photoshop, Resolve, and also render media. For the most part I can get away with using a laptop with only 8GB RAM.

For my budget, would prefer to purchase 1 great motherboard and 1 great processor with 16GB RAM rather than split my budget into 2 separate machines.

Going to have someone more knowledgable than me guide me through this process, but was looking for some insight from someone with BI experience.

Thanks for the help!
you always want a dedicated pc for any VMS

SirVenom

n3wb
Reaction score
The main problem of having the latest intel cpu with 18 cores with 64gb of ram and a gtx 1080 with 2 PCIE SSDs in raid configuration is that it will do very well when editing videos in premiere but will be wasting power 24/7. 16gb for premiere is low btw even for 1080p. Surveillance is a long run game. Reliability and efficiency. That's why dedicated HW for the task is recommended. Dell Optiplexes and Hp elitedesks are cheap and widely available. Even from the business point of view. Buy two, keep one as spare and depreciate the lot.