pre made cables for PoE cams

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That Monoprice link points to stranded cable. I thought that wasn't recommended for PoE, especially long runs. :shrug:
The OP , @xmfan stated that he "....was not planning to run it permanently, just a temporary run"....I think while he tested cam mounting options on a 2x4 and a bucket of rocks.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I looked into using pre-made cables. I've used a few 150mm (6 inch) ones between my POE switch and my patch panel so they look neat

However my OCD about curled excess cables led me down the route of learning to install my own RJ45 plugs

Though a novice, I can put on an EZ RJ45 plug with strain relief & test it in about 3 mins ...... and best of all, no unsightly curled excess cable

I buy Cat 6 Exterior grade solid core ethernet cable @ 305 mtr (1000 ft) in bulk, so cheaper

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Greeting folks !!

Those, the purists will always prefer to go the custom route, :lol: however, those, like myself with limited time might be looking for an express method for their install.

So, here's the question, my friends...
I am looking to buy 75' - 100' ft lengths pre-made cables, probably something from monoprice. Aside from getting solid copper (not stranded) cables, is there anything else I should look for, when going this route ?

thanks.
My only concern for you in doing this is that any coiled excess cable will in effect become a heating element by the nature of electricity

AVOID coils in power carrying cables - its a recipe for fire !

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My only concern for you in doing this is that any coiled excess cable will in effect become a heating element by the nature of electricity

AVOID coils in power carrying cables - its a recipe for fire !
IMO, that's not a big concern at least with CAT-5 or 6 carrying a max of 15.4 watts @ 48VDC, so 3/10 amp....that's not going to get hot, even in dozens of coils.

The biggest issue with any Ethernet cable in providing a medium for POE is that the conductors must be solid copper, not Copper Clad Aluminum.

Someone thought CCA would be a good idea, since electricity travels on the outside of a conductor and not through the core, and to clad the cheap aluminum core with the more expensive copper (and better conductor) skin and save some money. It might have worked if copper and aluminum could "get along" chemically, but they do not. Hence, the lack of UL-approval. The corrosion due to oxides that form between the dissimilar metals creates resistance between the surfaces, which translate to voltage drop, which in turn produces heat. And we all recall the combustion triangle of 4th grade...we've got heat, fuel and oxygen now. What more could a little fire ask for?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Excessive heat degrades data & power delivery in cables, so it can be a concern, especially if the equipment is being pushed to the limits of the specification.
The heat loss in data cables providing PoE services is truly negligible.
As a for example, for a camera consuming 5W (say the IR is on at night), a 50 foot Cat5e pure copper ethernet cable will dissipate under 10mW over the entire length.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And a PSE that meets specs will not supply more than it's rated power:
  • POE (802.3af) = 15.4 Watts
  • POE+ (802.3at) = 30 Watts
Source of info =>> here.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IMO, that's not a big concern at least with CAT-5 or 6 carrying a max of 15.4 watts @ 48VDC, so 3/10 amp....that's not going to get hot, even in dozens of coils.

The biggest issue with any Ethernet cable in providing a medium for POE is that the conductors must be solid copper, not Copper Clad Aluminum.

Someone thought CCA would be a good idea, since electricity travels on the outside of a conductor and not through the core, and to clad the cheap aluminum core with the more expensive copper (and better conductor) skin and save some money. It might have worked if copper and aluminum could "get along" chemically, but they do not. Hence, the lack of UL-approval. The corrosion due to oxides that form between the dissimilar metals creates resistance between the surfaces, which translate to voltage drop, which in turn produces heat. And we all recall the combustion triangle of 4th grade...we've got heat, fuel and oxygen now. What more could a little fire ask for?
Just for the record, generally speaking, I'm NOT a proponent of CCA wire. That said...

POE is DC far as I know and skin effect is not a factor with DC. Skin effect occurs with AC and has more and more effect as the frequency of the signal goes higher. A very good example is the general RG-6 coax for CATV. Much of it is CCS (copper-clad steel) because at the dozens if not hundreds of MHz high frequency the skin depth is very shallow and the thin copper layer provides a fine path for the signal.

Even if POE were the typical 60Hz AC (or 50Hz, depending on your region) 100% of a 24ga conductor is used all the way up to around 68kHz so skin effect itself wouldn't be a material consideration, CCA or no CCA, regarding AC impedance vs DC resistance.

When it comes to CCA for Ethernet cables, again, not a proponent, but where it would eventually have some impact of material significance would be longer runs. CCA wire has roughly 65-70% conductivity of 100% copper so you can see how that would come into play on a longer run in a current-carrying situation like POE.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Far as the experimental camera location, presently I'm using an older WiFi router (Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware) to bridge 2 IP camera signals from a detached garage to the house network (IP cameras > POE switch > WiFi router/client bridge > WiFi router in house).

This is about 80ft distance. At some point when I upgrade the electrical service I will also have a couple Ethernet cables put down too. But, for now, the wireless bridge works well and might be a viable option to use when trying somewhat distant camera locations rather than stringing out long Ethernet cable(s).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just for the record, generally speaking, I'm NOT a proponent of CCA wire. That said...

POE is DC far as I know and skin effect is not a factor with DC. Skin effect occurs with AC and has more and more effect as the frequency of the signal goes higher. A very good example is the general RG-6 coax for CATV. Much of it is CCS (copper-clad steel) because at the dozens if not hundreds of MHz high frequency the skin depth is very shallow and the thin copper layer provides a fine path for the signal.

Even if POE were the typical 60Hz AC (or 50Hz, depending on your region) 100% of a 24ga conductor is used all the way up to around 68kHz so skin effect itself wouldn't be a material consideration, CCA or no CCA, regarding AC impedance vs DC resistance.

When it comes to CCA for Ethernet cables, again, not a proponent, but where it would eventually have some impact of material significance would be longer runs. CCA wire has roughly 65-70% conductivity of 100% copper so you can see how that would come into play on a longer run in a current-carrying situation like POE.
You are correct, my bad regarding skin effect. The biggest issue I have with CCA is not only is it bad for POE it's not good for data either. The corrosion and subsequent issues with resistance creates havoc with the data as well.