Problem connecting Logitech 700e cameras to new router, opening new ports

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, is there a program that allows me to view different subnets and the different IP addresses associated with them? I am surprised there isn't a program that allows you to analyze your local network and show all the parameters such as subnets, IPs etc. To choose the new router I would need to a) know that this particular one has worked in the past with Logitech 700e or b) know the IP range of Logitech 700e and the IP range of the new router, right? Otherwise, I might end up with another lemon.
You dont need a program for this. You can log into your router and it will tell you this info. Lots of software to scan your network like advanced ip scanner, but it wont give you the info you need.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That would be totally amazing! I don't have team viewer on my Mac but I am sure I can install it. I don't suppose Skype screenshare would help, I am totally fine with Teamviewer.
Teamviewer or if you have chrome, you can install chrome remote desktop which will give you a one time code. Send info via private message.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's a terrific set of helpful responses for you to consider.

If @fenderman hasn't already managed to sort out the problem for you with the remote support offer - I have a suggestion.
It may sound a bit daunting, but it's actually not too bad, with a little help from the forum.

When network devices start up, it's common for them to broadcast on the network for lots of reasons, and this is intended not just to provide useful info for other devices on the network, but also to solicit needed responses.
If a device wants to grab a specific IP address, it's common for it to check the slot isn't already occupied.
And a switched environment will send the broadcast packets to all active devices, unlike the usual action where a packet is only seen by the destination.
These broadcast packets can be captured by a network sniffer program, and the data studied for useful info.
So my suggestion (if you haven't already got the camera IP addresses figured out) is to install wireshark and capture the broadcasts that one of the cameras emits as it is powered on.

Here is a download link for the very popular wireshark - select the 32bit or 64bit version according to your Windows version :

The steps to take are as follows:
On the Windows PC, close down all programs, to avoid unwanted network traffic cluttering up the capture.
I'm assuming the PC can be on a wired connection as opposed to WiFi.
Start wireshark.
When it initialises, it will list the network interfaces found.
The one you need will most likely be labelled 'Local Area Connection' and should start showing a small activity graph beside it.
Click it once to highlight it.
Power down the camera of interest.
In wireshark, click once on the blue shark fin icon at the top left menu. This will start the capture.
Power on the camera.
Wait maybe a couple of minutes.
You will see the capture building up.
Click the red square that's next to the shark fin, to stop the capture.
Use 'File save as' to store the capture file on the PC.
Zip it up and attach here and we'll see if we can spot any packets originating from camera activity.

Good luck!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's a terrific set of helpful responses for you to consider.

If @fenderman hasn't already managed to sort out the problem for you with the remote support offer - I have a suggestion.
It may sound a bit daunting, but it's actually not too bad, with a little help from the forum.

When network devices start up, it's common for them to broadcast on the network for lots of reasons, and this is intended not just to provide useful info for other devices on the network, but also to solicit needed responses.
If a device wants to grab a specific IP address, it's common for it to check the slot isn't already occupied.
And a switched environment will send the broadcast packets to all active devices, unlike the usual action where a packet is only seen by the destination.
These broadcast packets can be captured by a network sniffer program, and the data studied for useful info.
So my suggestion (if you haven't already got the camera IP addresses figured out) is to install wireshark and capture the broadcasts that one of the cameras emits as it is powered on.

Here is a download link for the very popular wireshark - select the 32bit or 64bit version according to your Windows version :

The steps to take are as follows:
On the Windows PC, close down all programs, to avoid unwanted network traffic cluttering up the capture.
I'm assuming the PC can be on a wired connection as opposed to WiFi.
Start wireshark.
When it initialises, it will list the network interfaces found.
The one you need will most likely be labelled 'Local Area Connection' and should start showing a small activity graph beside it.
Click it once to highlight it.
Power down the camera of interest.
In wireshark, click once on the blue shark fin icon at the top left menu. This will start the capture.
Power on the camera.
Wait maybe a couple of minutes.
You will see the capture building up.
Click the red square that's next to the shark fin, to stop the capture.
Use 'File save as' to store the capture file on the PC.
Zip it up and attach here and we'll see if we can spot any packets originating from camera activity.

Good luck!
Great info. I was not able to get it going. The router sees that there is a device plugged in, it sends packets but does not receive. I tried the default netgear (old router) subnet which did not work either. These cameras work using logitech's own version of powerline adapters, with a primary network adapter connected to the power outlet then to the router and another adapter plugged into an outlet and the camera. I dont think its possible to even set the network adapter to a static ip and it should have connected to the router regardless.

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
artosha,
Did you have a password set on the Logitech POE adapters? For its time, this system was pretty much dead simple to install. Each camera has a powerline adapter with POE, with the primary adapter as the receiver, and that connects to the router. There really isn't much in the way of customization, and it's DHCP, I just set the connected device IP assigned to static in my router, so each time that MAC address connected it has the same IP. If you assigned a password to the POE network in the Alert Commander software, that may be part of your issues. If you have more than one camera, some cams may be trying to connect to passworded POE network, and the reset cams just don't know what to do. I played with this and found it was more trouble than it was worth because if you have a problem with one cam and have to replace with a new one, you have to remove the password from the whole POE network, install the new cam, then apply the password again. I'd say that would only be beneficial if you were in some type of setting where the powerline would have an unprotected video signal someone else could intercept with another Alert Commander installation. I think the main adapter merely receives the signal. Only each camera is where the IP address resides. (ie, I only see the camera IP on the connected powerline adapter in my router device list, there is no device listing for the main receiving adapter). If you don't see the devide connected to the powerline adapter IP in your router, that is the issue to resolve first. From looking at my system, you have to have a device connected to the adapter. The adapter with nothing plugged in to it does not show up in my router device list. The adapters are more of a "pass-through" they don't assign or manage IP addresses of connected devices. You also need to make sure the status lights on the camera and adapter are indicating properly. If you connect a device that is malfuctioning, you would also not see a device IP in the connected device list. It doesn't even have to be a camera, you can try any network IP device, as long as that device is set to DHCP. Anything after that, Alert Commander, or whatever else you're looking to do won't work.

Last edited: