Problem with Blueiris, Extreme CPU usage

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

After troubleshooting for the last month and some serious head banging, I cannot figure out whats wrong, I believe its a bug in blueiris.

I've recently undergone a full computer upgrade, to a i5 7600k 16gb ram, all the usual crap. Also overclocked the cpu to 5ghz with watercooling.

The cameras are 6x Dahua 4431EM-AS 4mp cams. I have all motion sensing done inside the cameras itself and the setup is CBR 4096 20fps H264.

The CPU sits around the 70-80% mark and struggles to perform anything else while blueiris is running. Now I'm pretty sure this PC has enough power to handle 6 of these cameras and also considering Blueiris is actually doing no processing or anything,

I have searched and searched and cannot find a solution. I have direct to disc selected on all cameras, added blueiris program and folder exclusions to antivirus.

I really don't know where to go from here, other then try sighthound or something else.

Thanks in advance

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The first question would be are you using a licensed copy or not? Certain features (like D2D) do not work unless you are using a licensed copy.

The second question would be if you have D2D enabled for all cameras.

The third question would be whether or not you have hardware acceleration enabled for all cameras.

The fourth question would be how are you connecting to the BI server, e.g. local login or remote login.

The fifth question would be what are all your camera settings, fps, image size, iframe, etc.

I'm sure fenderman or bp will be around shortly and will ask these same questions, so you'll want to get them out of the way now to save them time. :)

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response,

1 & 2. Yeah, I am using a licensed copy and D2D is enabled.

3: I've tried all three methods of Processing, No HA, HA and HA with VPP, no real difference

4: I connect via local login aswell as remote.

5: H264, Fps is 20fps, iframe 40, image size 2688x1520, also tried h265 also.

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the response,

1 & 2. Yeah, I am using a licensed copy and D2D is enabled.

3: I've tried all three methods of Processing, No HA, HA and HA with VPP, no real difference

4: I connect via local login aswell as remote.

5: H264, Fps is 20fps, iframe 40, image size 2688x1520, also tried h265 also.
For a test bump all cameras resolution to 1920x1080. I have a couple of 4mp cameras and when I did that it dropped CPU considerably. I also don't notice any difference in image quality.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could try reducing your fps to 15 or 10 and see if that makes a difference.

I run 13 4mp cameras thru BI (4@20fps, 9@10fps) at ~40-50% cpu.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After troubleshooting for the last month and some serious head banging, I cannot figure out whats wrong, I believe its a bug in blueiris.

I've recently undergone a full computer upgrade, to a i5 7600k 16gb ram, all the usual crap. Also overclocked the cpu to 5ghz with watercooling.

The cameras are 6x Dahua 4431EM-AS 4mp cams. I have all motion sensing done inside the cameras itself and the setup is CBR 4096 20fps H264.

The CPU sits around the 70-80% mark and struggles to perform anything else while blueiris is running. Now I'm pretty sure this PC has enough power to handle 6 of these cameras and also considering Blueiris is actually doing no processing or anything,

I have searched and searched and cannot find a solution. I have direct to disc selected on all cameras, added blueiris program and folder exclusions to antivirus.

I really don't know where to go from here, other then try sighthound or something else.

Thanks in advance
Something is very wrong in your setup..it is not a bug in blue iris or else we would all have the same problem...why are you overclocking and water cooling this system? disable over clocking?
your load should be about 15 percent...you can use blue iris motion detection, it doesnt use any noticeable additional resources and is much more advanced than the cameras.
What other software are your running on the system?
What is the resolution of the monitor you are viewing on?

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, something is very wrong.

I've tried all the above in everyone's post above. I've even rebuilt windows 10 with a fresh blueiris, all latest drivers. I'm also running plex on it, which occasionally trans codes 4k HVEC streams to 1080p H264. Hence why I needed to overclock. I've also tried on factory default BIOS (I.e. No overclock), and that hits the comp hard with 100% usage,

My monitor is a 1080p Dell 24".

Point noted about the motion detection, I'll plan to use Blueiris, just thought it would be simpler from the DAHUA cams.

Funny thing is, I was actually using less CPU with my old Computer, which was i7 920 @ 3.2ghz.

I hope someone is able to help, either way, I appreciate the responses

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, something is very wrong.

I've tried all the above in everyone's post above. I've even rebuilt windows 10 with a fresh blueiris, all latest drivers. I'm also running plex on it, which occasionally trans codes 4k HVEC streams to 1080p H264. Hence why I needed to overclock. I've also tried on factory default BIOS (I.e. No overclock), and that hits the comp hard with 100% usage,

My monitor is a 1080p Dell 24".

Point noted about the motion detection, I'll plan to use Blueiris, just thought it would be simpler from the DAHUA cams.

Funny thing is, I was actually using less CPU with my old Computer, which was i7 920 @ 3.2ghz.

I hope someone is able to help, either way, I appreciate the responses
You should not be running plex and transcoding on your blue iris server..have you gone into each camera in blue iris and confirmed that direct to disk is enabled? is windows set to high performance?

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, thats something i didn't do, I'll try that now, Why can't you run plex and blueiris on the same server? See attached

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, thats something i didn't do, I'll try that now, Why can't you run plex and blueiris on the same server? See attached
because you dont want any other software conflicting or making the system unstable...a VMS pc should be dedicated to the task...half the problems people have are related to other software running on the system.
Are you logging in remotely to view this system? is there a remote session open when that snapshot was taken?

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, point noted, so for now, I'll uninstall Plex.

Yeah, I'm just using remote desktop while I'm at work.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
15% is rather optimistic for 6x 4MP @ 20fps (480 MP/s) with an i5. Maybe attainable with an i7. Hardware acceleration would have to be enabled and working. I'm guessing @daniellib has a GPU in that PC that he hasn't told us about, as the onboard graphics being disabled is the usual reason for hardware acceleration not working.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
15% is rather optimistic for 6x 4MP @ 20fps (480 MP/s) with an i5. Maybe attainable with an i7. Hardware acceleration would have to be enabled and working. I'm guessing @daniellib has a GPU in that PC that he hasn't told us about, as the onboard graphics being disabled is the usual reason for hardware acceleration not working.
you are correct, i misread the i5 as i7...

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, I tried disabling teamviewer and remote desktop. Still the same issue. And there is no gpu, just the onboard (i5 7600k). So what usage should I expect? Anything else I can try?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I tried disabling teamviewer and remote desktop. Still the same issue. And there is no gpu, just the onboard (i5 7600k). So what usage should I expect? Anything else I can try?
what birtates are you using?
if you want to do a teamviewer session i can check your settings.

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
Im using VBR at 8196kb max.

That would be great but I've just left for work, so I'll have to reinstate Teamviewer when I get home.

daniellib

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, just an update, I *think* the problem relates to the Hardware decoding, ( I also tried with HW Decode + No vpp and still had high cpu usage).

So now I've turned the hardware decoding off completely (in options and individual camera pages), and the cpu has dropped down to about 40% usage, which I think, is still high. I'm still in testing phase atm though.

Fenderman, i can send you the teamviewer details in PM if that's okay?