Problems with older camera and new NVR

puppyfrog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a few older Q-See cameras (rebranded IPC-HFW2100) that I just hooked up to my new Nvr5216-4ks2 from Andy. I'm in the process of upgrading all my cameras (to IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE cameras) but was hoping to keep costs down for less important cameras.

For whatever reason, the NVR is able to connect to the cameras and everything works for a minute or so, then it disconnects. When I try to access the camera directly via URL, it doesn't respond. If I disconnect the NVR from the camera, it comes back online after a short while. The camera works perfectly with my older Q-see NVRs and with SmartPSS. I've tried switching the camera type from "private" to "onvif" and the results are the same.

Andy thinks the old cameras need new firmware, but we haven't been able to locate an update. I've tried resetting all the settings, etc, but no luck. Does anyone have an thoughts or ideas? I know I have to replace these 3 cameras at some point, but would really like to get a little bit more life out of them. Thanks!

Last edited:

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a few older Q-See cameras (rebranded IPC-HFW2100) that I just hooked up to my new Nvr5216-4ks2 from Andy. I'm in the process of upgrading all my cameras (to IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE cameras) but was hoping to keep costs down for less important cameras.

For whatever reason, the NVR is able to connect to the cameras and everything works for a minute or so, then it disconnects. When I try to access the camera directly via URL, it doesn't respond. If I disconnect the NVR from the camera, it comes back online after a short while. The camera works perfectly with my older Q-see NVRs and with SmartPSS. I've tried switching the camera type from "private" to "onvif" and the results are the same.

Andy thinks the old cameras need new firmware, but we haven't been able to locate an update. I've tried resetting all the settings, etc, but no luck. Does anyone have an thoughts or ideas? I know I have to replace these 3 cameras at some point, but would really like to get a little bit more life out of them. Thanks!
Have a read through this thread.... It may help or not

New NVR - cameras not working

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, just read it through. Perhaps Q-see branded Dahua classifies as hacked and the NVR blocks it? I've checked all the password stuff and it's not that. So strange that it connects fine, then dies.
Hi pup

Does it behave this way also when set at ONVIF? ( can it even do ONVIF ? )

ah, I see you tried that and got the same results... hmmm...

puppyfrog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It can do ONVIF, and it behaves the exact same way. My best guess is that the video feed is fine, but after connecting for a little bit the NVR tries to sync and update some settings (time, etc.). Perhaps the old firmware isn't totally compatible and the API call hangs the camera until the call times out.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It can do ONVIF, and it behaves the exact same way. My best guess is that the video feed is fine, but after connecting for a little bit the NVR tries to sync and update some settings (time, etc.). Perhaps the old firmware isn't totally compatible and the API call hangs the camera until the call times out.
Perhaps try the ONVIF device test against it and see if it passes.