Proxmox Windows 10 VM Issues, Video Choppy

Reaction score
If anyone has experience running Blue Iris on a Windows 10 VM, especially in Proxmox, I would appreciate some help. I had Blue Iris running perfectly on an Intel NUC 8 with an Intel Core i7 8650U and 8GB RAM. Everything was perfect: low CPU usage, low memory usage, video was smooth, etc. Well, I recently purchased a used Dell PowerEdge R720 server with two Intel Xeon E5-2650 processors and 64GB of memory. I created a Windows 10 VM and installed Blue Iris on it. I exported the settings from my NUC and imported them to the Windows 10 VM.

Here is my only problem: video is choppy. When watching live video on the app or a recorded trigger event, it's choppy. At night (when it's black and white), it's smooth. And by choppy, I mean the video skips every second or two. I have everything set correctly: Direct to Disc recording, substreams, etc.

I know the hardware is older in the Dell, but there are plenty of resources and I'm barely using any of them. Would the fact that the processors have no graphics capabilities built into them be the issue? If so, would a graphics card passed through to the VM fix the issue?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A graphics card might help, but the real problem is those Xeon processor cores are about half the speed of the mobile chip you have in the NUC. It doesn't matter how many cores you've got if they individually aren't fast enough to keep up with the job that is expected of one core.

Reaction score
A graphics card might help, but the real problem is those Xeon processor cores are about half the speed of the mobile chip you have in the NUC. It doesn't matter how many cores you've got if they individually aren't fast enough to keep up with the job that is expected of one core.
If I upgraded to two Intel Xeon E5-2680 v2 processors, would that make a difference?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A difference, yes. That would recover about half of the lost ground. Still slower than the NUC though, core vs core.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What kind of storage are you writing to? I’m running Bi on Proxmox with no issues. Writing to a RAID 1 array (ZFS). CPU is an AMD 1600AF with 4 cores assigned. 5 cameras total.

Reaction score
What kind of storage are you writing to? I’m running Bi on Proxmox with no issues. Writing to a RAID 1 array (ZFS). CPU is an AMD 1600AF with 4 cores assigned. 5 cameras total.
Just a single 2TB WD purple drive. I have a RAIDZ2 ZFS array for storage, but the VM has nothing to do with that.

Reaction score
Well I just upgraded the processors to what I said I was going to before. There is no change in the recorded video. However, when watching live video there is no choppiness or shuttering. It's mostly smooth.

I think I'm going to run Blue Iris off of my NUC again and see what my ratios are on there, because I've never had this problem with the NUC.

EDIT: After checking out the processors here: Blue Iris Update Helper, there shouldn't be an issue. Hmm...

Last edited: