***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You said
"I can log in to the NVR only by using the Pattern and the NVR remains offline. "

So if you can login at the NVR using a keyboard/mouse you should be able to change any setting including account password

If you have turned off P2P that means you initially set it up with P2P enabled. So reboot the NVR and see if you can reach it at 192.168.1.108 on the web interface (assuming your home network is 192.168.1.x)

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There's nothing corrupted. You setup using P2P and changed the login password.

If you have now turned off P2P you will need to start from scratch on DMSS and SmartPSS and add the NVR via IP to them

Last edited:

riverhigh

n3wb
Reaction score
There's nothing corrupted. You setup using P2P and changed the login password.

If you have now turned off P2P you will need to start from scratch on DMSS and SmartPSS and add the NVR via IP to them
Thanks for your reply.

I decided to leave the DMSS and SmartPSS alone until I had found out why I had not got the NVR online.

So on the NVR went onto:

Account > Modify Password.
Result: Wrong Username or Password.
Tried again same result as attached.

Went onto Network TCP/IP tried TEST .
Result : Connection Failed. Please check the IP Settings and Gateway Network cable connection.
The IP is as you say 192.168.1.108. Gateway 192.168.1.254. Ethernet cable was changed.
Result: still no success getting the NVR online.

If the NVR Pattern is letting the NVR function (see live cameras and record/playback) albeit offline why cannot I modify the Admin Password.

Any recommendations appreciated

Thank you

Attachments

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you successfully ping the 192.168.1.254 IP address from another machine?

You mention that address is a gateway, however there is a chance the gateway hardware itself is not set to respond to ping requests.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Or that the gateway /router is not using that address range..

Two separate problems
1- NVR admin password
2- network issue

on #2- can you go to a laptop or pc that has network access and type in 192.168.1.108 and get to the web interface? (Assume this is a home install) I’m thinking not because your network is something other than 192.168.1.x

riverhigh

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you successfully ping the 192.168.1.254 IP address from another machine?

You mention that address is a gateway, however there is a chance the gateway hardware itself is not set to respond to ping requests.
I can ping router 192.168.1.254 OK.

If I ping the NVR 192.168.1.108 I can only get a ping when the NVR is in its initial "boot up" phase. After that message is always Request Timed Out.

It is a home install. I'll try the GUI again but in the past its failed with IE Tab,Chrome (addon), Safari, Firefox, Pale Moon. This made me suspect NVR Password is corrupted.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can ping router 192.168.1.254 OK.

If I ping the NVR 192.168.1.108 I can only get a ping when the NVR is in its initial "boot up" phase. After that message is always Request Timed Out.

It is a home install. I'll try the GUI again but in the past its failed with IE Tab,Chrome (addon), Safari, Firefox, Pale Moon. This made me suspect NVR Password is corrupted.
But when you attempt to connect via Browser, does the NVR login page actually appear?

riverhigh

n3wb
Reaction score
But when you attempt to connect via Browser, does the NVR login page actually appear?
When using via the Browser I can get the NVR Login page, but only if I disable the NVR Firewall.
Just tried using Browser with NVR Firewall disabled and getting message incorrect admin or password.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So that means no network issues locally. for external access that’s a whole different issue we can get to after you are able to login to the NVR

You probably have to specify a device for the firewall to allow access with it on.

Obviously you need to recall the admin password. Are you sure you changed it? try admin/admin

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So that means no network issues locally. for external access that’s a whole different issue we can get to after you are able to login to the NVR

You probably have to specify a device for the firewall to allow access with it on.

Obviously you need to recall the admin password. Are you sure you changed it? try admin/admin
Good on you, for your patience on your advice bigredfish. Seems the problems are going round in circles!

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
When using via the Browser I can get the NVR Login page, but only if I disable the NVR Firewall.
Just tried using Browser with NVR Firewall disabled and getting message incorrect admin or password.
Have your tried ping with the NVR firewall disabled?

... there is a chance the gateway hardware itself is not set to respond to ping requests.
It is not just routers that can be locked down and made "more secure" by disabling access to web interfaces and ping requests. Depending on the make/model/manufacturer YMMV.

riverhigh

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry that doesn't make a lot of sense. If you cannot access the web UI with the toggle of the controls you have done. How can you turn off and on the so called firewall control?
I can use the NVR ok using the Pattern only but I cannot log into the NVR using the NVR admin password.

As I can use the NVR Pattern I can change the internal settings of the NVR. eg Enable or Disable Firewall in the Security settings. All the cameras are working and I can record/playback but I cannot get the NVR online even with the Pattern working ok. I need to get the NVR online so I can use the Web GUI.

When I DIsable the NVR Firewall I have access to the WebGUI on the monitor, but cannot log on to the NVR via the WebGUI. Whether its because the NVR Password is corrupted or Modem Firewall blocking access to NVR I don't know. I didn't think I need to Port Forward on the Modem just for the WebGUI if I was only using the NVR and modem in the LAN.

Thank you

riverhigh

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply I am using IE on a PC. (Win10 and defaulted to IE rather than use Edge).

I am sure you are right it is the password and I have tried all the relevant passwords on the Dahau NVR2104HS-P-12 (POE 4 channel) including the default supplied with this 3 month old NVR.

So the 2 issues are:
1/ My NVR admin password is corrupted, but I can log in just with the Pattern, change setting, see cameras, record and playback.
2/ I cannot get the NVR online. Tried Port Forwarding on the Router but it just won't ping (I can ping the PC on the LAN and Router ok).

In your experience is it best :
1/ Use Forgot Password on the Dahau GUI Web Page.
2/ Factory Default (completely recover device parameters to factory default).

I don't want to lose the ability to at least see the cameras, record and playback.

1/ Does the Pattern remain the same if you do either of the above options ?
2/ Is the Pattern totally independant of the admin Password?
3/ Should I ensure P2P is disabled before using any of above procedures ?
4/ Should I unplug the cameras from the NVR before implementing Forgot Password or Factory Default ?. Then plug them back after the reset.

I guess I should also delete DMSS off both my cell phone and I pad before commencing any of above.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply I am using IE on a PC. (Win10 and defaulted to IE rather than use Edge).

I am sure you are right it is the password and I have tried all the relevant passwords on the Dahau NVR2104HS-P-12 (POE 4 channel) including the default supplied with this 3 month old NVR.

So the 2 issues are:
1/ My NVR admin password is corrupted, but I can log in just with the Pattern, change setting, see cameras, record and playback.
2/ I cannot get the NVR online. Tried Port Forwarding on the Router but it just won't ping (I can ping the PC on the LAN and Router ok).

In your experience is it best :
1/ Use Forgot Password on the Dahau GUI Web Page.
2/ Factory Default (completely recover device parameters to factory default).

I don't want to lose the ability to at least see the cameras, record and playback.

1/ Does the Pattern remain the same if you do either of the above options ?
2/ Is the Pattern totally independant of the admin Password?
3/ Should I ensure P2P is disabled before using any of above procedures ?
4/ Should I unplug the cameras from the NVR before implementing Forgot Password or Factory Default ?. Then plug them back after the reset.

I guess I should also delete DMSS off both my cell phone and I pad before commencing any of above.

Thanks for any advice.
-Disconnect cameras
-Shutdown NVR.
-Verify no other device on your network is using 192.168.1.108, by looking on your router for connected devices, or Run a scan using the free iPhone app Net Analyzer (see thumbnail attached)

-Turn on NVR and login using your pattern

I would hit the factory default button.
This should make you go through the original setup steps with mouse and monitor plugged into the NVR.

When it asks to set a password do so and write it down. I would use the password you are currently using on all the cameras. This way you should not need to change the cameras passwords.

When it asks about P2P say NO. This could be part of your problem all along. Turn it off, we can always go back and turn it on at a later date once everything is working if you wish.

I never used the pattern, but yes it’s separate from the admin password.

Wait until you are able to login to the NVR at 192.168.2.108 via the web interface before plugging in cameras.

66734067-F098-4321-82D7-A014BEEC94F6.png

riverhigh

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Big Red for the information and I tried the recommendation of factory default.

Unfortunately on my Dahau NVR2104HS-P-12 as the admin password was corrupted the NVR failed to let me proceed. I still could only access the NVR via the pattern.

As I had exhausted all methods to get the NVR working via the factory password I contacted the supplier in the UK. Even though the NVR was under warranty they recommended me to do a physical hard reset by removing the case cover.

So if this helps others (only do so totally at your own risk) the following it what I did:
  • Unplug NVR from power.
  • Remove all cameras from POE sockets.
  • Remove top cover of NVR.
  • Press and hold button (at end of yellow pencil, as shown in pic 1070700) for 15 sec. Then after this time still keeping the button held down, power up the NVR. Wait until you hear a beep and keep holding button down for a further 15-30 seconds, then let go of the button and unplug the power from the NVR.
  • Wait for a further 15 seconds and only then apply the power to the NVR.
After doing this, I was able to go through original install steps with just the mouse and monitor plugged into the NVR. All was then OK. I was then able to log in with the factory admin password instead of only just being able to log in only using the factory pattern.

After that I plugged in the POE cameras and got no pictures on the NVR. So did hard resets on the tiny switch in the cameras (as pic 1070690) whilst they were still connected to the NVR. Then unplugged the cameras from the POE sockets. I then plugged them back into the POE sockets individually. Only after I got a picture on the first camera did I plug in the next camera, then waited. All worked fine.

As I hadn’t found IPCT website and “the IPCT knowledge” before I did the initial install I suspect the following for the failing:

1/ Using a keyboard with the NVR instead of a mouse.
2/ Enabling P2P in the setup.
3/ Expecting everything to move as quick as a Win PC...

I can now also use the web GUI using IE and Pale Moon and SmartPSS.

Thanks for the advice the Dahua NVR and cameras now work as they should :)

I have changed the NVR password to a much stronger password. I now need to change the NVR camera password from its admin factory default.

On the NVR Account page in ONVIF user it shows you can change the password (see pic 1070719). Is this the best procedure to change the camera password from the factory default.

Then in NVR go to Camera-> Camera list -> Change Camera Log in password or Edit Pencil (see pic 1070720) for both cameras with the new password. Not sure which option should be implemented.

Then go into each camera web GUI (see pic 1070724)-> amend the camera passwords to the revised password.

I have read the read PSA for those with new Dahua NVR doc but would like some guidance on above so I can change the password and still access my camera video feeds.

As per VPN for Noobs doc I have changed to a VPN router using OpenVPN. Certainly intend keeping the cameras offline as advised. But wonder how to access the CCTV cameras via the VPN when travelling, rather than use P2P.

Thank you all for your assistance.

P1070700.JPGP1070690.JPGP1070719.JPGP1070720.JPGP1070724.JPG