PTZ Camera on exterior wall - how to run the wire?

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My other exterior camera hangs from an eve on the front porch so wiring was easy for that one.

I want to install a PTZ camera where the red dot is; I plan on using one of those vinyl siding base plates and then placing the camera on that. I already have CAT6 ran up to the attic and can run it through the soffit, however, from there, how should I run the cable to make it look good and to protect it?
20221013_113717376_iOS copy.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That appears to be vinyl siding, as I can see a seam about 7 "boards" down from the left side of the window. If that white vertical trim is standard that generally goes along with that type of siding, can you tuck the CAT cable behind it as you exit the soffitt and come down to your mount and box?

If so, that leaves a very short run horizontally from that trim over to your box, maybe a foot. You could tuck it under the siding overhang, secure with a clip or two and even paint it to match the siding....no more obvious that the PTZ itself, IMO.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking as well, a short horizontal run. I need to see how much play there is on that edge trim, I'd prefer to tuck it in securely and run all the way up. I suppose I could also move the camera to the edge as well, I don't think I am gaining anything by centering it, other than looks.

I wasn't sure if I should run it in a small pipe or just leave the wire exposed.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If the CAT cable is exposed it does need to be UV rated, even if it doesn't get direct sunlight. The jacket will degrade fairly rapidly then the conductors insulation will go next.

Additionally, make sure you properly weatherproof the RJ connection to the camera. Dielectric grease on the RJ before plugging it in, use the gland that comes with the camera, cover that with self amalgamating tape (Coax Seal), then a good wrap of quality electrical tape like 3M 33+ or 88. Both types of tape need to extend past the gland and onto the cable.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the CAT cable is exposed it does need to be UV rated, even if it doesn't get direct sunlight. The jacket will degrade fairly rapidly then the conductors insulation will go next.

Additionally, make sure you properly weatherproof the RJ connection to the camera. Dielectric grease on the RJ before plugging it in, use the gland that comes with the camera, cover that with self amalgamating tape (Coax Seal), then a good wrap of quality electrical tape like 3M 33+ or 88. Both types of tape need to extend past the gland and onto the cable.
Good suggestions. Do I need to cover the RJ if it's tucked inside the mount arm? I will probably do that any way.

I'm assuming that if I tuck the cable back into the edge trim the UV exposure would be pretty minimal.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good suggestions. Do I need to cover the RJ if it's tucked inside the mount arm? I will probably do that any way.

I'm assuming that if I tuck the cable back into the edge trim the UV exposure would be pretty minimal.
If the jacket is outdoor rated then it should be good for UV and moisture, but a layer or 2 of 3M 33+ vinyl electrical tape before it's tucked won't hurt; they make it in more colors than just black, I've got some white 33+; it also adds grip to worm gear-drive SS clamps, especially on PVC mounts.

Agoins6

n3wb
Reaction score
If the jacket is outdoor rated then it should be good for UV and moisture, but a layer or 2 of 3M 33+ vinyl electrical tape before it's tucked won't hurt; they make it in more colors than just black, I've got some white 33+; it also adds grip to worm gear-drive SS clamps, especially on PVC mounts.
On cables I have had to run outside to nanobeams or whatever Ive been putting some heat shrink tubing over the cable before I crimp it. I figure that will last a few years at least.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can buy a UV rated patch cable for the exterior part and connect it to the non-uv rated in the attic. I can't find any UV rated jackets on Monoprice.

Edit, found some, but I'll need to wait for a shorter version to come in stock. Monoprice Cat6 Outdoor Rated Ethernet Patch Cable - Molded RJ45 Connectors, Stranded, 550MHz, UTP, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 24AWG, 50ft, White - Monoprice.com
Spec sheet says 32 gauge, pretty skinny for a PTZ; I'd go with no smaller than 23 AWG with a POE PTZ.

And rather than wind up with another mechanical connection like a coupler where you "connect" it to the non-UV rated stuff from the attic I'd go with your non-UV rated cable outdoors BUT....wrap it with a layer of self-vulcanizing rubber tape, tuck it behind the trim, under the siding and up through the mount or box. The linked 3M #2228 is outdoor-rated and very tough. Just go slow so it won't bulk up on you as you wrap with 1/2" overlap.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's a lot of tape, I was planning on about 14' of a white or grey patch but I can't find that in outdoor rating that's unsheilded.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Spray paint doesn't seem to stick to the cable very well. I tried with a couple of sections at one point. Even cleaned it fairly well before spraying it but it still starts to crack off fairly easily with flex. Maybe if you did it in place if it's somewhere that you can. Of course where I've accidentally gotten house paint on cable that seems to stay forever.

Maybe try searching for UV-resistant. With outdoor you're probably getting mostly the double-jacket burial stuff.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just finding bulk which I don't need, I have bulk already, just not UV.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you are doing it yourself, and thus if it degrades you can replace yourself, if you are having that much trouble finding the right UV rated cable, do as others have suggested and simply go with a good quality copper cable and spend the little extra time to get it behind the siding, tucked along the vertical trim, etc. and you will be fine.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like I will have to go with a standard cable and tuck it in, it's a tight fit from looking at it earlier. I could do 50' but that's a long run and a waste of energy use. The inside run is already 40-50'.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suppose I could, it seems like a waste to do that. For the run that's in the attic waiting, I am going to terminate that into a RJ-45 keystone, and plug the outside run into that and then hand it off of a rafter off the insulation, I'd wrap the entire keystone with electrical tape for extra measure. What would be ideal is a dual end keystone.

Edit, I know about couplers and may have to go with that if I can't find a dual keystone.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Put the plug that comes on the cable into the keystone. Cut the camera end to put on the weatherproof connector and crimp on a new RJ45. Done.