PTZ Camera on exterior wall - how to run the wire?

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After some measuring, the entire run is under 50' I padded the numbers for each bend by 2-4 feet and came out to 43'. I think I'm just going to tape the UV cable to the loose one in the attic that I had and put it through to the basement and no terminations.... My front porch run is 100' long. I'm debating whether or not to get the 50' or 75'.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If that is typically vinyl siding, and the corner trim piece is typical, the trim piece is hollow, with plenty of room to pass the cable from the attic into the trim piece, then veer off to under the siding.
It's easy to pull a piece of sidiing off so you can get to the edge of the hollow trim piece.
That way, the entire cable is hidden and protected from UV.

You need to get at least two lag bolts through the camera mount into either the plywood sheathing or into a wall stud for proper support. Also, keep in mind, if that is a bedroom wall, you will hear the camera moving inside.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If that is typically vinyl siding, and the corner trim piece is typical, the trim piece is hollow, with plenty of room to pass the cable from the attic into the trim piece, then veer off to under the siding.
It's easy to pull a piece of sidiing off so you can get to the edge of the hollow trim piece.
That way, the entire cable is hidden and protected from UV.

You need to get at least two lag bolts through the camera mount into the plywood sheathing or into a wall stud for proper support. Also, keep in mind, if that is a bedroom wall, you will hear the camera moving inside.
The corner piece as Styrofoam insulation so that won't work unfortunately. I should have enough room to fit it in without damage or issue. The GRK screws will be going from the Dahua PFA120 junction box to the sheathing without issue, no electrical there either. The room is my office, I can't imagine that the motor is that loud?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Dahua PTZ is quiet and in the middle of the night I can hear it if I am in that room.

My Sunba on the other hand can be heard in any room upstairs day or night lol.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Spec sheet says 32 gauge, pretty skinny for a PTZ; I'd go with no smaller than 23 AWG with a POE PTZ.

And rather than wind up with another mechanical connection like a coupler where you "connect" it to the non-UV rated stuff from the attic I'd go with your non-UV rated cable outdoors BUT....wrap it with a layer of self-vulcanizing rubber tape, tuck it behind the trim, under the siding and up through the mount or box. The linked 3M #2228 is outdoor-rated and very tough. Just go slow so it won't bulk up on you as you wrap with 1/2" overlap.
As it is stranded I would think it is a bundle of 32 AWG whose thickness combined is 24AWG ..

Monoprice Cat6 Outdoor Rated Ethernet Patch Cable - Molded RJ45 Connectors, Stranded, 550MHz, UTP, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 24AWG, 50ft, White

1666036019048.png

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thoughts on my question on 50 vs 75? I'm trying to converse the length of the cable.