PTZ choices, best for low light

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking to replace a failing 49225 with 2MP starlight sensor, options below:

SD5A225GB-HNR
or
SD4E425GB-HNR-A-PV1

I am considering the EmpireTech PTZ5A4M-25X but this is not in the same price bracket!

Local supplier also has the SD49225XA-HNR-S2
in stock if anyone thinks that is still a better option. Auto tracking would be nice but more worried about image quality, especially in lower light, this is almost always when the bad stuff happens :lol: !!

Any thoughts on the two main contenders, not worried about the colour LED's, IR is primary use at night. As always thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Having a 4MP/2.8 Mini-PTZ, of the two choices, I would definitely go 2MP/2.8 over the 4MP/2.8, no question.

However, I would try to justify the PTZ5A4M-25X at 4MP/1.8 in any way I could.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Having a 4MP/2.8 Mini-PTZ, of the two choices, I would definitely go 2MP/2.8 over the 4MP/2.8, no question.

However, I would try to justify the PTZ5A4M-25X at 4MP/1.8 in any way I could.
I figured that 2MP would be preferred, no doubt on the 1/8th sensor option, it is around 70% more cost but tempting! the newer design with this slightly domed lens cover bugs me a bit, why not just use flat glass like the other models, maybe no big deal and just me.

The 2MP works out around £340 and 4MP with 1/8th sensor around £570, tough call. Is the newer design on the SD5A225GB-HNR considered to be better or worse does anyone think, build quality wise I am thinking compared to like the 49225 range.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Save the money and go with the 1/1.8" sensor.

I think the 49225-S2 does not have ability to autotrack?

See this thread for recent comparisons:

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Save the money and go with the 1/1.8" sensor.

I think the 49225-S2 does not have ability to autotrack?

See this thread for recent comparisons:

Very true that the 49225 does not have auto track. Yes, that comparison looks similar to my experience with the 5442 series!

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do not buy a 4MP camera on a 1/2,8" sensor

Go with the 2MP on that sensor or the 4MP on the 1/1.8"
Don't worry, I will not be doing that, my goal is always best image quality, especially in low light. Once you experience 2MP on a 2.8" or 4MP on a 1.8" there is no going back.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, I had decided to bite the bullet and get a PTZ5A4M-25X but two things are giving me cause for concern, firstly the curved composite (Perspex?) lens cover and secondly the build quality, in comparison to the 49225 series. The price difference cannot be ignored either but the lack of flat lens glass, possibly inferior IR lamps also are making me think twice about this one. I guess the real problem here is the 49225 series offer such great bang for for buck, the current models I have now span 6 years service life and have worked incredibly well.

Auto tracking would of course be nice to have but managed without it all this time. Mainly this dome style lens cover just bugs me, having used perspex domes in the past, never again!! why would Dahua feel the need to make a vandal proof PTZ unless someone is firing a bullet towards it, maybe some are mounted lower down, of course then it makes more sense.

Am having a tough time deciding on this :oops:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
People that have the 49225 and the PTZ5A4M so it isn't even a fair fight that the 5A4M is that much better. Which it costs more.

But compare the 49225 versus the mini-PTZ and it is no comparison the 49225 is better.

I wouldn't be concerned with the mini-curve of the lens. It isn't like it is a dome.

The PTZ5A has 4 IR so it will be comparable to the 49225, probably better given the bigger sensor.

The only reason you don't see a lot of talk about the PTZ5A4M is because the 49225 was such a great bang for the buck and partly why they eliminated autotracking from it was because it was hurting sales of the better PTZ5A.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
People that have the 49225 and the PTZ5A4M so it isn't even a fair fight that the 5A4M is that much better. Which it costs more.

But compare the 49225 versus the mini-PTZ and it is no comparison the 49225 is better.

I wouldn't be concerned with the mini-curve of the lens. It isn't like it is a dome.

The PTZ5A has 4 IR so it will be comparable to the 49225, probably better given the bigger sensor.

The only reason you don't see a lot of talk about the PTZ5A4M is because the 49225 was such a great bang for the buck and partly why they eliminated autotracking from it was because it was hurting sales of the better PTZ5A.
I really would like that better low light, concerns me that in 2-3 year time that composite (assuming it isn't glass!) lens cover might deteriorate. It was a bit cheeky of them to remove auto tracking from the 49225, especially for existing owners if they got caught by firmware upgrade removal.

Seem to get the impression that people who have used both seem to still come away with great appreciation of the 49225, I guess this is in part due to the 60-70% price differential and maybe not seeing the same improvement overall.

If the 5A4M was an upgraded design on the 49225 or even sat between that and the pro models, I would probably already own one :lol: but it isn't quite setting my world on fire like I wish it would :lmao: - maybe just need some further convincing from more long time owners.

Can anyone confirm if the lens cover is actually composite and not toughened/tempered glass? guess it could be some variant of gorilla glass or similar.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could always see if you can get your hands on this one that is the 2MP on 1/2.8" sensor and the "replacement" for the 49225, but also included TIOC and white light in addition to infrared.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could always see if you can get your hands on this one that is the 2MP on 1/2.8" sensor and the "replacement" for the 49225, but also included TIOC and white light in addition to infrared.

Interesting, Andy offered a 4MP version of that but technically the 2MP version is basically a 49225 with auto tracking. I do like the idea of 'Cops' theme accompanied by reds and blues for some passing residents :rofl::thumb: