PTZ SD5A425XA-HNR

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I would start @25 and work up from that.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would start @25 and work up from that.
I have it all the way done to 10. It tracked my car when I tested it, it just doesn't zoom in while tracking.
What is target filter, max size and min size.

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Strange, im sure i've activated cams using that tool when my PC is on a different network range to the default 192.168.1.0/24 network. I just assumed it broadcast to 255.255.255.255. I'll have to check tomorrow. I've got another to activate so it will be a good excuse.
Wow this thread has moved on some since i last checked in. I'm not sure it's applicable now but i activated another cam last night from a PC with different network address and made notes as i went so here is what i saw for what its worth...

I did a quick litle traffic capture while i was activating my z12e camera which came from @EMPIRETECANDY

I changed the IP address on my NIC to be 192.168.2.2/24. This network does not exist in my LAN. I purposely did not give a default gateway as there is no gateway to match the subnet anyway.

I also cleared the ARP table on my PC.

I plugged the cam into the same switch as the PC therefore same broadcast domain.

I noted that the cam was broadcasting multiple ARP requests for the IP address of 192.168.1.1. Obviously an attempt to locate a gateway off the network as many people assign the first octet in the network to the gateway.

I then fired up Dahua config tool and let it do a scan to locate cameras. It did locate the z12e camera which at this point in time had not been activated.

I noticed that when i initiated the scan an IGMP Join request was transmitted to a multicast address advertising a multicast IP address to use for communication. This was followed by three frames containing UDP traffic.

one frame transmitted to IP and Ethernet broadcast address with a source port of 5051 and destination port of 5050.
another frame transmitted to the IP Multicast address that the IGMP frame had advertised. Source port 37810 and destination port 37810. Contents of which where:
...DHIP........I.......I.......{ "method" : "DHDiscover.search", "params" : { "mac" : "", "uni" : 1 } }

a final frame also transmitted to the Multicast address with source port 37811 and destination port 8087. Contents of which were:
...DHIP........I.......I.......{ "method" : "DHDiscover.search", "params" : { "mac" : "", "uni" : 1 } }

This produced an interesting response as the new non-activated z12e camera responded to the UDP frames using UDP ports 5050 <-> 5051 and 37810 <-> 37810

Information contained in these frames were details such as Device name, MAC address, serial number, ipv6 address etc. I also received a response from a camera which is already activated and configured for a different network to 192.168.2.0/24 or 192.168.1.0/24 but again was on the same broadcast domain. This contained more information but i dont know if thats because its a different model of camera or if its because its activated and configured. Plus frankly i didnt want to go down a rabbit hole as this was meant to be a quick test.

================================================================================
UDP Conversations
Filter:ip.addr==192.168.2.2||ip.addr==192.168.1.108&&(!ssdp&&!nbns&&!mdns&&!llmnr)
| <- | | -> | | Total | Relative | Duration |
| Frames Bytes | | Frames Bytes | | Frames Bytes | Start | |
192.168.2.2:41305 <-> 239.255.255.251:37810 0 0 bytes 1 170 bytes 1 170 bytes 27.611151000 0.0000
192.168.1.108:37810 <-> 192.168.2.2:41305 0 0 bytes 1 739 bytes 1 739 bytes 27.622659000 0.0000
192.168.2.2:45578 <-> 239.255.255.251:37810 0 0 bytes 1 826 bytes 1 826 bytes 27.675493000 0.0000
192.168.1.108:37810 <-> 192.168.2.2:45578 0 0 bytes 1 160 bytes 1 160 bytes 27.797832000 0.0000
192.168.2.2:44567 <-> 239.255.255.251:37810 0 0 bytes 1 170 bytes 1 170 bytes 27.809224000 0.0000
192.168.1.108:60499 <-> 239.255.255.250:3702 0 0 bytes 1 1290 bytes 1 1290 bytes 27.819571000 0.0000
192.168.1.108:37810 <-> 192.168.2.2:44567 0 0 bytes 1 739 bytes 1 739 bytes 27.820787000 0.0000
192.168.1.108:48688 <-> 239.255.255.250:3702 0 0 bytes 1 1290 bytes 1 1290 bytes 27.838137000 0.0000
192.168.2.2:41168 <-> 239.255.255.251:37810 0 0 bytes 1 889 bytes 1 889 bytes 27.852219000 0.0000
192.168.1.108:37810 <-> 192.168.2.2:41168 0 0 bytes 1 164 bytes 1 164 bytes 29.400114000 0.0000
================================================================================

Following that, the camera broadcasts an arp request for the IP address of my PC, to which a response is sent.

I then initialised the camera in the config tool despite the message stating that i "cannot initialize crossing LAN". This operation involved my pc transmitting traffic to the multicast address again whereby multiple single frame "sessions" (transmit > receive > close UDP port > repeat with new ephermeral port). This was encrypted so i dont know what was contained exactly. Following initialisztion i was able to configure the cameras IP address to the network range that i desired.

The above table shows all the frames involved in the above communication between the PC and camera. Its interesting to note that the PC always transmitts to the multicast address and the camera always responds directly to the PC's IP address.

This left me wondering if my choice of test network was a bad choice and that maybe i should have chosen a 10.0.0.0/24 network instead. I dont know what subnet mask the Dahua cameras arrive with as default along with their 192.168.1.108 address. Its possible that they are configured with a /16 subnet mask therefore putting it in the same network as 192.168.1.0 which would explain why the camera always responds direct to the PC.

Head scratcher alright. Someone much smarter than me probably knows all this but it was a fun little exersize for a Sunday evening. Anyway, now i have a z12e to play with and all the joy that capturing number plates involves. See you in the LPR section :p

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make sure you are on the latest firmware or this camera does not perform autotracking very well at all.

Latest firmware 210904

View attachment 117201

SD5A425XA-HNR (dahuasecurity.com)
I don't have the latest one. It's on 2020-06-08.
How do I get the latest one?
Also I read somewhere in this form about somebody upgrading a PTZ, I don't know which one, and it took auto tracking away.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
General_SD5AXXX-HN_MCU_V2.401.0000001.11.R.210903
DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.812.0000012.0.R.210904
DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.812.0000012.0.R.210904

Which one of these do I download?

Also, read somewhere about getting software updated from Andy empire tech. Thats who I got it from, through his Amazon store.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your site is UK. Went to dahua USA site and can't find SD5A425XA-HNR.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
_PN is PAL based firmware, _NP is NTSC based firmware. The source, whether US or UK, doesn't matter because it's Dahua firmware. It's still a holiday for Andy, Chinese New Year, but why not just drop him an email asking which firmware i best?

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
_PN is PAL based firmware, _NP is NTSC based firmware. The source, whether US or UK, doesn't matter because it's Dahua firmware. It's still a holiday for Andy, Chinese New Year, but why not just drop him an email asking which firmware i best?
Do you have his email. Chatted with him once through this form when I was trying to reset this ptz, that was before thanksgiving.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Your site is UK. Went to dahua USA site and can't find SD5A425XA-HNR.
As your camera is a Grey Import I would go to Andy for the firmware. The camera I have is a Genuine Dahua Camera from an Authorised UK Dahua dealer. I suspect the firmware would be the same as I got the Dahua engineers to write to fix the auto tracking issues that I was experiencing ,better to be safe than sorry and ask Andy for it that way if you brick your camera/camera's Andy should sort it as Dahua wouldn't entertain you because it's an Import.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As your camera is a Grey Import I would go to Andy for the firmware. The camera I have is a Genuine Dahua Camera from an Authorised UK Dahua dealer. I suspect the firmware would be the same as I got the Dahua engineers to write to fix the auto tracking issues that I was experiencing ,better to be safe than sorry and ask Andy for it that way if you brick your camera/camera's Andy should sort it as Dahua wouldn't entertain you because it's an Import.
Yeah, I'll wait till after he's through his holiday.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If that camera is a "grey import" I have to urge caution about upgrading firmware. The existing firmware may be hacked to English firmware and not be upgradeable, IE you can brick the camera. Check with whomever you bought it from before attempting an upgrade.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If that camera is a "grey import" I have to urge caution about upgrading firmware. The existing firmware may be hacked to English firmware and not be upgradeable, IE you can brick the camera. Check with whomever you bought it from before attempting an upgrade.
Bought it on Amazon. When I looked back, I actually got it from EmpireTech-Andy. After following this form to get info on BI, I saw that this is the guy you guys really recommend for cameras. So, I don't know if that means it's a "grey import". On Amazon, brand says its EmpireTech. Its listed as:
EmpireTech Ultra Smart 4MP 1/1.8cmos Starlight 25x Optical Zoom POE+ IP PTZ Camera Support Auto-Tracking and IVS,SMD Plus,Deep-Learning-Based Perimeter Protection,IP6 IK10 Protection,SD5A425XA-HNR
$749.99

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
According to the International Trademark Association (INTA), "grey import" items are genuine in that they have been manufactured by, or for or under licence from, the brand owner. The discount comes because they are not being sold through official channels, and are usually brought in from another country.

Some people prefer to buy name brand items through official channels, and others are willing to buy OEM if they are cheaper and are the same.

Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon and AliExpress store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. So does that make these Dahua branded cams "grey import"? Some will say yes.

So in this case, EmpireTech cameras are Dahua OEM. So is Amcrest and Lorex and a whole host of other brands. Here is a partial listing...

1643748307290.png

If I go down to the local big box store and buy an Amcrest or Lorex camera is that grey market or does the big box store or Amcrest or Lorex carry more weight than EmpireTech?

Andy's cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua and Hikvision authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from an authorized dealer. You select the country at camera initialization.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua and Hikvision website, thus proving they are real Dahua and Hikvision. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provided that to Andy for sale before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site. And the kicker is, we are not Dahua's target market - it is the professional installers...

You do have to be careful with some rebranded cameras purchased from other vendors as they are cameras that are for the Chinese region but have been hacked into English but then are not able to be updated or they will brick. Buying from a reputable source is key to make sure that doesn't happen.

Some will argue that the warranty purchasing it through an official channel is better. That is really dependent on what country you are in. In some countries, anyone can set up a trade account and get the cameras at a discount.

In the US, an official Dahua unit can cost 2 to 5 times or more than what we can purchase them for from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY here because the official US distributors want you to go through their professional installers or want you to buy in quantity, so we pay a premium markup. Neither of which most of us here want to do. Maybe some pockets of the US folks can get a good deal from an authorized Dahua dealer in the US, but most of us don't.

In addition, the "American version" Dahua cameras are usually inferior to the international Dahua Cameras that Andy sells. The model lines by Dahua USA are mostly high priced cameras on the wrong MP/sensor ratio.

Further, any issues would have to go through the distributor and Dahua US will not talk to us. And for the few cameras we would be purchasing from a distributor, I doubt the customer service would be very good.

Warranty & RMA

us.dahuasecurity.com

How many people here in the US are saying they are getting great deals on Dahua cameras purchasing from authorized Dahua US dealers here?

How many with official US Dahua cameras are running firmware more recent than what Andy gets for us?

In my experience with electronics, they poop out immediately or within a year. Andy's warranty takes care of that and he showed it with a recent member here that was beyond the warranty period and sent back a camera and Andy sent him a new one not some refurbished unit. Any other product I have ever sent in on warranty, the replacement is a used product. Not with Andy - he sends a brand new unit.

In a rare instance a camera poops out after two years, the initial savings I have from purchasing from Andy can buy me a newer camera and I still come out ahead...

The few times I have had a longer warranty on an electronic, it was a painful process and long and drawn out and then they send you a clearly refurbished product. For warranty, I want either my unit fixed or a brand new unit and not someone else's that broke and they fixed.

Warranty and pricing go hand-in-hand. If I can get a 5 year warranty on anything, but it cost me 5 times as much to purchase that official product than it does to go with an OEM that is 1/5 the cost, I will take my chances. If I get 3 years out of it, I am still better off. If I get 5 years, even better. Only after purchasing the 6th item in 5 years do I lose in that scenario.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
According to the International Trademark Association (INTA), "grey import" items are genuine in that they have been manufactured by, or for or under licence from, the brand owner. The discount comes because they are not being sold through official channels, and are usually brought in from another country.

Some people prefer to buy name brand items through official channels, and others are willing to buy OEM if they are cheaper and are the same.

Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon and AliExpress store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. So does that make these Dahua branded cams "grey import"? Some will say yes.

So in this case, EmpireTech cameras are Dahua OEM. So is Amcrest and Lorex and a whole host of other brands. Here is a partial listing...

View attachment 117348

If I go down to the local big box store and buy an Amcrest or Lorex camera is that grey market or does the big box store or Amcrest or Lorex carry more weight than EmpireTech?

Andy's cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua and Hikvision authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from an authorized dealer. You select the country at camera initialization.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua and Hikvision website, thus proving they are real Dahua and Hikvision. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provided that to Andy for sale before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site. And the kicker is, we are not Dahua's target market - it is the professional installers...

You do have to be careful with some rebranded cameras purchased from other vendors as they are cameras that are for the Chinese region but have been hacked into English but then are not able to be updated or they will brick. Buying from a reputable source is key to make sure that doesn't happen.

Some will argue that the warranty purchasing it through an official channel is better. That is really dependent on what country you are in. In some countries, anyone can set up a trade account and get the cameras at a discount.

In the US, an official Dahua unit can cost 2 to 5 times or more than what we can purchase them for from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY here because the official US distributors want you to go through their professional installers or want you to buy in quantity, so we pay a premium markup. Neither of which most of us here want to do. Maybe some pockets of the US folks can get a good deal from an authorized Dahua dealer in the US, but most of us don't.

In addition, the "American version" Dahua cameras are usually inferior to the international Dahua Cameras that Andy sells. The model lines by Dahua USA are mostly high priced cameras on the wrong MP/sensor ratio.

Further, any issues would have to go through the distributor and Dahua US will not talk to us. And for the few cameras we would be purchasing from a distributor, I doubt the customer service would be very good.

Warranty & RMA

us.dahuasecurity.com

How many people here in the US are saying they are getting great deals on Dahua cameras purchasing from authorized Dahua US dealers here?

How many with official US Dahua cameras are running firmware more recent than what Andy gets for us?

In my experience with electronics, they poop out immediately or within a year. Andy's warranty takes care of that and he showed it with a recent member here that was beyond the warranty period and sent back a camera and Andy sent him a new one not some refurbished unit. Any other product I have ever sent in on warranty, the replacement is a used product. Not with Andy - he sends a brand new unit.

In a rare instance a camera poops out after two years, the initial savings I have from purchasing from Andy can buy me a newer camera and I still come out ahead...

The few times I have had a longer warranty on an electronic, it was a painful process and long and drawn out and then they send you a clearly refurbished product. For warranty, I want either my unit fixed or a brand new unit and not someone else's that broke and they fixed.

Warranty and pricing go hand-in-hand. If I can get a 5 year warranty on anything, but it cost me 5 times as much to purchase that official product than it does to go with an OEM that is 1/5 the cost, I will take my chances. If I get 3 years out of it, I am still better off. If I get 5 years, even better. Only after purchasing the 6th item in 5 years do I lose in that scenario.
WOW!!o_O:wow::wtf: Man that's some in-depth s*****. Got to say, you're the man around here! :headbang:
So... wait to talk to Andy? Right.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW!!o_O:wow::wtf: Man that's some in-depth s*****. Got to say, you're the man around here! :headbang:
So... wait to talk to Andy? Right.
I like to be thorough and give as much information as possible to let someone make an informed decision.

Given his cameras are international models, you should have no problem updating it with the firmware on the Dahua website.

Many here have done that with no problem.

For a PTZ, I would probably wait to see what Andy says. From what I have read, this won't take away autotrack like it does on the 49225, but I would get his thoughts. Or @Wildcat_1 as he has thoroughly tested the SD5A425XA and the associated firmwares.