Pulling Wire for Newbies without Damaging Walls

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello

It seems there is a wiki or sticky for everything around these parts but I can't find one on this particular topic. Is there a guide on how to pull wire without causing damage to a finished home?

Thanks

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello

It seems there is a wiki or sticky for everything around these parts but I can't find one on this particular topic. Is there a guide on how to pull wire without causing damage to a finished home?

Thanks
Its always the worst part of the job..period. I do a lot of commercial pulling and some residential, when things look to complex or I think I will butcher a wall or ceiling it time to call in somebody who did or does just pulls for a living. Retired Verizon people are VERY good and really know all the tricks. To Answer your question there is tons of threads on this but might be scattered in different subforms here. No Sticky as far as I know but YouTube has a ton of help videos on this. Try a Search here for "Fishing", it returned a ton of stuff.

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t know any retired cable guys. I might have to just hire a pro and move on.

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Call around for phone system, electricians or low voltage installers. It should cost you about 100 to 150 per drop.
Yeah that’s the price range I’ve heard. I’ll probably have them just mount the things while they are up there. I have a guy who I really like but he uses digital watchdog. Haven’t seen much about them around here.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

Thanks
Hi @MonitorMyHome

Due to variations in building construction as well as what is desired - there is quite a lot of variations for a good set of instructions on this topic.

I've thought about doing some sort of write up beyond what has been shared, but there simply was more variation than I was willing to tackle.

That noted, do see the installation picture section
Installation Pics

as well as search youtube for example videos ( a few good ones for electrical line pulls ).

In terms of messing up drywall - I like to use an attached garage as a good starting place, as you can actually cut a drywall section out as needed - and then replace it with minimal worry about WAF issues typically.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s the price range I’ve heard. I’ll probably have them just mount the things while they are up there. I have a guy who I really like but he uses digital watchdog. Haven’t seen much about them around here.
There are several threads on DW. Their cameras are overpriced and underperform compared to the new low lights from hik/dahua.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Buy a $15 stud finder, and a 10 pack of fist sticks from harbor freight. If you need to run wires along an exterior wall, most times there are 3/4 furring strips that run vertical. Sometimes builders run one rogue furring strip horizontal and screw up your plans. If you are running wires in an interior wall, there are usually studs every 16", sometime 24", with a top plate that runs across all of the studs on that wall. Older construction used wood 2X4 studs, newer constriction uses metal studs and top plates. Of course, Canadians always do things their own way.

nosnim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Buy a $15 stud finder, and a 10 pack of fist sticks from harbor freight. If you need to run wires along an exterior wall, most times there are 3/4 furring strips that run vertical. Sometimes builders run one rogue furring strip horizontal and screw up your plans. If you are running wires in an interior wall, there are usually studs every 16", sometime 24", with a top plate that runs across all of the studs on that wall. Older construction used wood 2X4 studs, newer constriction uses metal studs and top plates. Of course, Canadians always do things their own way.
What about some homes that have mid-span blocks between all the studs? Those always make it harder to run cables up or down the full wall.

Attachments

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes you can use the big long 5’ x 3/8 or 3/4 flex drill bit and drill through them. Also if you get a good $50 dollar stud finder with deep scan it tells you if electrical wires are present. Wait a minute, isn’t there an app for that?

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
x2 on the flex drill bit. Stick it to one side of the open area and drill in the back corner. This way you can use the stud and the back of the opposite wall to guide your fish stick into the hole you just drilled.

Superior Security Experts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depends on where you’re putting the cameras and layout of home. Some are easy and some you need an experienced wire fisherman to figure it out. Not many of them out there if it’s a two story with finished basement or slab. But, a one story house you can mount camera under the overhang and if the attic is accessible that’s the easiest way. Drill 1” hole and use fish rods to push wire as far as possible. Get in to attic and grab wire. Or labor saving devices co. makes grab it tool that extends to 15 ft to grab wires in tight attics.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Be careful with the long flex bits. You don’t want to pop out in the wrong spot. My first job out of training back in ‘98 I drilled out this guys kitchen wall and through floor a foot away. Lol. Plaster and lath is the toughest.

Shadeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a house with brick, is it possible (or even advisable) to get the cable to go from the attic down the wall between the brick and the sheathing in the "air gap" space and to a hole in the masonry? Or would it be better to just run conduit outside on the wall to a camera if I want the camera mounted on the brick?

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Conduit looks ugly on a home. Depends on how they built it and where you live. Chicago area newer homes have a lot of mortar oozing in. Gets stuck. But I have fished outer stud space thru brick going down. Send couple pics of cam location and we can give you better suggestions.

Reaction score
You will have to put holes in your drywall. It's only drywall :) Easy to fix.
Downside of those flex bits: what's on top of that stud you are drilling thru? Electrical Romex? Heating Duct? Gas line? When it comes to drywall, we always make below and above the stud. Sometimes in business environment, you can see the top of the stud or can look down into the wall on a 6' ladder. But at home? Make holes :)