Purple image during day on Hikvision mini dome

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
As the heading says, I have an issue with my HIKVISION DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS 4MP WDR Mini IP Camera which worked fine for almost 3 years. Couple days back, one morning it was partially purple and black. Bottom corners, one black and the other purple.
I restarted the NVR and it fix it self up until following morning when those corners appeared again.
I restarted NVR again, updated all my cameras including the mini dome a it was fine for two days.
On a third day full image had a purple layer over it, and it again happened in the morning.
I was reading throughout this forum and some people suggested it was a IR cut filter getting stuck.
I wonder why is it always ok after the restart.
I would welcome and be thankful for your suggestions or possible solution.
Thank you

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the IR filter is stuck, verify this by having the purple video, then tap the camera hard the filter should reset. When the NVR is restarted it more than likely is power cycling the camera. Test this when purple video unplugging the Ethernet cable from the POE on the NVR for the camera, then plug it in ant 15 or so seconds.

In the future when post problems post the make/model numbers of all equipment.

Reaction score
I had / have the same issue with one of my Dahua cam's. For a week, it had the purple tint during daytime, looked fine at night with IR light visible. And then couple days ago, purple tint gone during daytime and looked normal. However, the camera would not see any IR light so the image was dark. Looks like the IR filter has been giving me gruff, per @alastairstevenson and @SouthernYankee suggestions. My cam is 20' high so... one day I'll get up there and teach it a lesson.

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
If the IR filter is stuck, verify this by having the purple video, then tap the camera hard the filter should reset. When the NVR is restarted it more than likely is power cycling the camera. Test this when purple video unplugging the Ethernet cable from the POE on the NVR for the camera, then plug it in ant 15 or so seconds.

In the future when post problems post the make/model numbers of all equipment.
Thanks,
I updated make/model number.
I tried to cover the camera and turn it into the night mode. I did work but when it switched back to day mode, there wasn't purple layer. I will have to wait until tomorrow morning and see if it happens again.

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
I had / have the same issue with one of my Dahua cam's. For a week, it had the purple tint during daytime, looked fine at night with IR light visible. And then couple days ago, purple tint gone during daytime and looked normal. However, the camera would not see any IR light so the image was dark. Looks like the IR filter has been giving me gruff, per @alastairstevenson and @SouthernYankee suggestions. My cam is 20' high so... one day I'll get up there and teach it a lesson.
Hi,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a feeling that it will go bananas one day, that the small issue will turn into big one. Camera without night vision is no go to me.

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
Update on my issue. It only happened once since I posted the original post. What I did was I had covered the camera for a few seconds (it turned into night mode), then uncovered it so it went back to the day mode. I did it 3 times and every time I did it , the picture got better.
The issue hasn't shown since, well, not during the day. I can now see the black corner during the night. I'm giving up as I don't know whats wrong with it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Update on my issue. It only happened once since I posted the original post. What I did was I had covered the camera for a few seconds (it turned into night mode), then uncovered it so it went back to the day mode. I did it 3 times and every time I did it , the picture got better.
The issue hasn't shown since, well, not during the day. I can now see the black corner during the night. I'm giving up as I don't know whats wrong with it.
We know what’s wrong with it. It’s a sticky it filter.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What would be the solution? I was searching for IR filter replacement but can't find any sellers.
Its not the filter itself, the mechanism is stuck. This is a very intricate part to self repair. Hitting the camera while togging day/night can unstick it, sometimes for long other times the problem returns.

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
Its not the filter itself, the mechanism is stuck. This is a very intricate part to self repair. Hitting the camera while togging day/night can unstick it, sometimes for long other times the problem returns.
I forgot to mention that I did try to bang the camera few times without success.I might give it a go and take it apart.

Markn1980

n3wb
Reaction score
Tonight, the night vision is not on.I will try to bang the camera tomorrow again and see if it helps.