Q-See Closing Doors Jan 31st 2021 No More Remote Viewing, Options to fix

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m not sure how you come up with the word “denigrate” , look it up. My point is people spend to much time on things like this whereas the risk IMO as this is forwarding a port to a nvr and not a computer. Even with a vpn there are still dangers. If you have a lot of time on your hands and feel that having your nvr compromised is something you cannot live with then everyone owning Q-See nvr should go with a vpn or replace there equipment now as this equipment is no longer being supported or updated.

Take note on the following statements.
Can you get hacked through port forwarding? Yes. If you take security precautions, is it likely? Not really.

Article.
Here ya go, since you apparently don't know the meaning yourself.
"to criticize unfairly; disparage."

@mat200 got it spot on.

Are you trolling or just being a jerk?

More reading:
(6) Hikvision Honeypot Hackathon | IP Cam Talk

brijazz

n3wb
Reaction score
I just noticed it's BNC not IP. mat200 knows better than me but I believe you have to start over with IP stuff. I just threw all my Q-see BNC cameras and NVRs in the trash.
I'm fine with replacing stuff if I have to, but would really like to be able to access the existing recordings if needed. These cameras monitor lesson rooms in a one-on-one teaching environment and are there largely to protect staff and students if there are ever any allegations of wrongdoing of any kind. I'd hate to lose everything.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My password is being rejected when using an attached monitor and mouse as well :/
Hi @brijazz

So for whatever reason the user / password combo no longer works.

I would try a factory reset ( not certain of the exact instructions ) and see if you can reset the kit to the default passwords and start your setup over again.

If you have a Dahua OEM kit, you can look up a similar Dahua OEM reset instructions.

If it is a DVR w/coax cameras, you may only need to reset the DVR. ( as I do not own any coax cameras, I am only guessing here )

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought a Q-SeeHD system at Costco about 5 years ago. The recorder is model QTH81. The app that I used to monitor things stopped working (i.e. it continually rejected my username/password), which led me here and the news that Q-See has closed up shop.

What can I do to continue recording and monitoring from my cameras? I'm fine with replacing the DVR if needed.

And what about the recordings that are currently on the DVR - can I still access them and play them back?
A quick internet search revealed this....

To reset the password * the QTH41, enter username "admin" and password "6036huanyuan"
The screen will blink.
Then enter Username "admin" Password "123456"
If you are getting an error, do a power cycle on the DVR by unplugging it from the back and leaving it unplugged for 30 seconds. Plug the cord back into the DVR and try this reset password: Username "admin" Password "6036huanyuan"
If you are still getting the same error, do a power cycle and try password "123456" or reset password.
Once you have gained access to the main menu you can choose a new password.

Not your exact model but may work.
USE AT OWN RISK

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A quick internet search revealed this....

To reset the password * the QTH41, enter username "admin" and password "6036huanyuan"
The screen will blink.
Then enter Username "admin" Password "123456"
If you are getting an error, do a power cycle on the DVR by unplugging it from the back and leaving it unplugged for 30 seconds. Plug the cord back into the DVR and try this reset password: Username "admin" Password "6036huanyuan"
If you are still getting the same error, do a power cycle and try password "123456" or reset password.
Once you have gained access to the main menu you can choose a new password.

Not your exact model but may work.
USE AT OWN RISK
I just tried this on my Q-SEE QT5024 which is about 10 years old and it worked.

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great, thanks - did it leave your existing recordings intact, or did it do a true factory reset and wipe everything?
I didn’t check.But I wouldn’t think so. I could check later today but if you’re worried you could always just unplug hard drives 1st so they don’t get erased.

brijazz

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn’t check.But I wouldn’t think so. I could check later today
If you're able to check, I would be MOST appreciative!

you could always just unplug hard drives 1st so they don’t get erased.
I have only the internal drive on the unit - I'd assume it's OS is on the same drive that it uses to make recordings, so would cracking the box open and unplugging the drive render the whole thing useless? Or is the OS on a separate internal storage maybe?

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you're able to check, I would be MOST appreciative!

I have only the internal drive on the unit - I'd assume it's OS is on the same drive that it uses to make recordings, so would cracking the box open and unplugging the drive render the whole thing useless? Or is the OS on a separate internal storage maybe?
On my unit the hard drive is internal but separate and replaceable. I believe that on dvrs the “OS” is built into motherboard/internals.

RBurn

n3wb
Reaction score
To add to those that port forward, make sure you have a strong password, I mean strong. Also, make another account and use it for your viewing. The basic user account that is on most Q-see NVR s… you cannot delete it. Make sure the account has no rights. You can tell over time there are people trying to guess the admins password, you’ll know as it will be locked. This is a good thing.

RBurn

n3wb
Reaction score
Here ya go, since you apparently don't know the meaning yourself.
"to criticize unfairly; disparage."

@mat200 got it spot on.

Are you trolling or just being a jerk?

More reading:
(6) Hikvision Honeypot Hackathon | IP Cam Talk
What I’m saying is modems are being probed everyday and hour and the possibilities are endless for vulnerabilities. I can’t help it if a person doesn’t like certain terms, too bad. People were needing a fix until they hopefully get a replacement system as working with a Q-see product is a dead end and some do not want to spend much time setting up a vpn (which still has security issues) would be a waste of time in the end.

bottom line for people that have the time and money is to listen to the “experts” on here and make sure you reduce your security issues.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What I’m saying is modems are being probed everyday and hour and the possibilities are endless for vulnerabilities. I can’t help it if a person doesn’t like certain terms, too bad. People were needing a fix until they hopefully get a replacement system as working with a Q-see product is a dead end and some do not want to spend much time setting up a vpn (which still has security issues) would be a waste of time in the end.

bottom line for people that have the time and money is to listen to the “experts” on here and make sure you reduce your security issues.
Hi @RBurn

Are you denigrating the advice people are providing here?

"bottom line for people that have the time and money is to listen to the “experts” on here and make sure you reduce your security issues." - Rburn

Yes, of course many people want to just buy and plug in .. that is what Ring, Nest, Arlo are for .. plug and play, and pay monthly for that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is anything on the internet is susceptible to hacking. So we have to decide how much we want to mitigate the risks.

The difference is when you port forward to a device like an NVR, that is telling the router to ignore anything coming through that port and you are relying on the horrible security of the security camera and NVR...ironic that security cameras and their NVRs are not very secure on the internet.

Contrast that with VPN where if an exploit is found, it will be patched LONG before an out of business company provide an update to their no longer being sold NVR and cameras...

I have had NVRs in the past and I never saw a firmware update. Meanwhile Windows is always pushing out security updates and virus protection updates, etc.

RBurn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @RBurn

Are you denigrating the advice people are providing here?

"bottom line for people that have the time and money is to listen to the “experts” on here and make sure you reduce your security issues." - Rburn

Yes, of course many people want to just buy and plug in .. that is what Ring, Nest, Arlo are for .. plug and play, and pay monthly for that.
“denigrating the advice people are providing here” NO….. it could be quite the opposite.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
“denigrating the advice people are providing here” NO….. it could be quite the opposite.
I have sincere doubts about that based on your posts here.

RBurn

n3wb
Reaction score
I have sincere doubts about that based on your posts here.
Wow…. This is one post you refer to denigrating”.

“if you think they would be after you , your living in a dreamland. if you believe you are safe, did you remove the ADMIN Qsee account? gives free access to any cams.”

my nature as a civil engineer is to look at the big picture, find a solution and move on. If details are needed so be it. It appears you like to help people in your posts. It’s time to move on.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow…. This is one post you refer to denigrating”.

“if you think they would be after you , your living in a dreamland. if you believe you are safe, did you remove the ADMIN Qsee account? gives free access to any cams.”

my nature as a civil engineer is to look at the big picture, find a solution and move on. If details are needed so be it. It appears you like to help people in your posts. It’s time to move on.
Hi @RBurn

I am basing my view of your actions on more posts each time .. and so far getting a confirmation of my assessment based on your continuing posts.

Certainly as a Civil Engineer you should appreciate the bigger picture of some of us not liking "Tofu-dreg projects" ...