Q-See Closing Doors Jan 31st 2021 No More Remote Viewing, Options to fix

alexj

n3wb
Reaction score
My Q-see phone app and outside access still works after setting up a NoIP.com DDNS account...... it stopped connecting when the q-see DDNS server shut down.
Hi welcome, It's been a while since I stepped in. I ended up buying a Asus router and setting it up for a VPN. Then I added the NVR IP address to the app and have had no issues doing remote viewing. But note: VPN will not work on phones in data saver mode. Don't make that mistake. Lots of information here on how to set up the VPN and a lot more skilled knowledge around. I had no idea how many people would respond and help out each other when I made this post almost a year ago! Thank you to all that helped .
Alex

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
So much to to learn with VPN. If your trying to be a do it yourselfer.
Or a watch other threads and learn how to bumble thru it, and then try and do it yourself. ( after you buy a newer Asus router with Open VPN)
I recently picked up an Asus RX-AX55 and I finally got the Blue iris App to open on my phone over the VPN connection. ( Which I improperly setup on day 1, and got it right day 2.)
So now my Amcrest app to see the NVR works over VPN. And I can also see the same cams in BI App on the phone over VPN.
I'm trying to give them all a test drive to see which one I like more.

Owdbadger

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Q-See NT874 NVR with 4 Q-See IP cameras. Having moved home and being busy with DIY, due to COVID not going out much and due to the really poor customer support I was getting, I didn't realize that Q-See was closed down for the last 12 months :rofl:.

I have skim-read the posts in this thread and since my cameras have so far been working on QT-View I have decided to look into the Open VPN path or something similar. Wish me luck!

I have two questions and sorry if I missed them here already:

1. Now that Q-See software does not work, are my cameras now essentially "safer" behind my Home Network and Firewall? I believe they were set up with port forwarding. Or do I need to fix this sooner rather than later?

2. In case I decide to just buy a new NVR, or if I need one in the future. How does one determine the manufacturer of a Q-See NVR? Or whether the current cameras I have can work with any new NVR?

Thanks to those who donate time and expertise to everyone's questions. My area of expertise is quite different.

EDIT: Cameras are QTN8059B

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the QC WiFi cameras with no way to get them on the network because the app is no longer working to set them up onto the network. NOW WHAT???

Reaction score
Thinking about updating/replacing my NVR. QT 428 with QCN 8090B cameras (12). The vendor states that QC cameras take on the same UN & PW as the nvr (security reason)??. To insure interoperability and keep my QC cameras, I would have to know the UN & PW for those cameras that are connected (8) as well as the UN&PW for the unused ones (4) (factory setting??) Anybody know the factory UN&PW. TX

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well they are the same user and PW as your NVR now, so make the new NVR the same user and password.

Plus, unless you went in and set them yourself, a new NVR should simply reassign them when you connect to it.

If you are using them with a compatible NVR, then you don't need to know the user and pw of the cams. Just plug them in one at a time and let the NVR find it and assign and after you see the camera, connect the next camera and repeat.

jcy110

n3wb
Reaction score
Logging directly into your DVR/NVR can deliver poor frame rate. My solution is to use a program like splashtop streamer remote computer access. That way you can log into your home computer (you can leave your video security program running), or access the DVR/NVR bu internal IP address and not leave your network open. Because you are just viewing the NVR's/DVR's video, not processing it the video runs smoother. I do it this way all the time and it works great!

Reaction score
Tx wittaj for that info. The vendor (admittedly says the their company has very little to no experience with Q-See) but thinks that the change over will not be "plug and play". If I do get the new NVR, will "experiment" with one new one before trying the in service ones. I seem to remember admin & 123456 for start up systems?

MyOldTools

n3wb
Reaction score
My Qsee NVR was built by Uniview. I did get them to give me a admin password that worked. They have firmware downloads to replace the Qsee firmware. I have not tried it. I do not know if the Qsee cameras are from Uniview as well. I did get the cameras to connect to BI.

ndrwstn

n3wb
Reaction score
My Qsee NVR was built by Uniview. I did get them to give me a admin password that worked. They have firmware downloads to replace the Qsee firmware. I have not tried it. I do not know if the Qsee cameras are from Uniview as well. I did get the cameras to connect to BI.
Can you give more information on this? I have a QC 8816 NVR that I use offline only right now; I would be interested in flashing new firmware to it now that Q-See is defunct.

ndnpro64

n3wb
Reaction score
I just moved to a home with these Q-see cameras and had the same issues as everyone else. I did find out though that the Q-see software for Windows desktop version still works and can view my cameras locally since I connected the DVR to my router.

No such luck with the Q-see apps. It's clear none of those apps work anymore, but I tried some other apps and was able to view all my cameras on an app someone here recommended called DMSS.

Not the best interface but it works. As many already mentioned here, it will only work if you're on your WiFi network. You'll need to replace the DVR or try sketchy stuff with your router if you want to be able to see your cameras outside the house.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you use a VPN on your router you will have no problems viewing since that gives you access to you LAN just as if you are directly connected to your LAN. This is not a VPN used to hide your surfing habits, an outbound VPN, but an inbound VPN which provides a secure encrypted "tunnel" back to your LAN. Most Asus and some NetGear routers have this as a built-in feature or you can run it as a separate program on a Windows or Linux box.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just moved to a home with these Q-see cameras and had the same issues as everyone else. I did find out though that the Q-see software for Windows desktop version still works and can view my cameras locally since I connected the DVR to my router.

No such luck with the Q-see apps. It's clear none of those apps work anymore, but I tried some other apps and was able to view all my cameras on an app someone here recommended called DMSS.

Not the best interface but it works. As many already mentioned here, it will only work if you're on your WiFi network. You'll need to replace the DVR or try sketchy stuff with your router if you want to be able to see your cameras outside the house.
Hi @ndnpro64

Q-see no longer is running their cloud services .. otherwise as long as the hardware is working, there is certainly various options.

Do you have an DVR or NVR? ( coax or cat5e cables )

Do you know the model numbers?

In general Q-see rebranded a lot of Dahua OEM equipment, and with some configuration changes ( user / password, ports, substream, .. ) you can get the IP cameras to work with Dahua OEM NVRs, Blue Iris VMS, and other VMS software .. and thus you can also get functionality using associated mobile apps ..

HarryH

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All. Newb here looking for some help. Very limited knowledge of networking, but working on it.
I have a Qsee system that has been working fine since early 2019, but have decided to transition to BI. I have a couple of 5442 cams on order from Andy to start with, but in the mean time I was hoping that I could use the Qsee cams with my new BI setup as well.
When I go into the Gui of the Qsee NVR I can see a place to change the IP address and select ONVIF, but when I plug the camera into the POE switch of my BI setup, nothing is found. I also tried using Angry IP Scanner and cant seem to even find the IP address. Nothing comes up. Is it possible to change the settings on the cameras through the NVR Gui? NVR is K8CN1.1-2R , Cameras are BA4KD1.1 and CV5MB1.1
Harry

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@HarryH - The NVR assigns the camera an IP address usually in the 10.x.x.x range.

That is probably a Dahua OEM, so it probably has a similar look and feel:

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters.

1673448986754.png

OR

Those cameras are probably Dahua OEM, so you should be able to factory reset them and then it sets the IP address to 192.168.1.108

OR

You can use your NVR and feed the cameras from the NVR straight into BI.

In BI, you select add camera and put the IP address of the NVR into the IP address location. Put in username and password and hit find/inspect and let BI do its thing.

Then about halfway down is a pull down for Camera number and pick camera 1 and then hit ok. The camera should show up. Then add camera and the select copy and copy this camera and then change the number 1 to a 2 and repeat for your cameras. OR depending on your NVR, it may populate all the cameras in the main and substream pulldown boxes and you just select a camera number and then add another camera and select the next pulldown.

HarryH

n3wb
Reaction score
WITTAJ....Wow, thanks for the quick reply!! I'm on it....(I hope)

HarryH

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, not a good start. I have an old laptop computer that still has IE on it.
I plugged it directly into the ATT fiber modem/router.
Looked in the Router page and found the IP address for the Qsee NVR which just happens to be plugged in right next to the laptop.
Typed the IP address into IE and nothing. Just get a Bing search page saying that is a private network.
Hmmm...
BTW... I don't think this is Dahua stuff. The NVR and all the cams say Digital Peripheral Solutions INC. on the stickers

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well IE is a good start. That crap happens sometimes. It takes a few times to get past that Bing crap. Maybe look at the NVR and see what port it uses and then try the IP address with : and port number.

How about taking the laptop to the NVR and plug the NVR into the laptop and not the router?

Qsee was made by a few manufacturers, so it may not be.

Post screenshots of the NVR page like the settings page and a few others and maybe someone can tell who the manufacturer is.