Q-See NVR can only connect to 3/4 cameras

Reaction score
I bought an NVR setup with 4 cameras from Costco recently and I have been trying to set them up. I have all 4 cameras plugged into the power sockets but only 3 of them actually connect to my NVR. When I unplug 1 of them, the 4th camera suddenly connects. Why is this happening and is there any way to fix this problem?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought an NVR setup with 4 cameras from Costco recently and I have been trying to set them up. I have all 4 cameras plugged into the power sockets but only 3 of them actually connect to my NVR. When I unplug 1 of them, the 4th camera suddenly connects. Why is this happening and is there any way to fix this problem?
Welcome @Jeffrey Jin

"I have all 4 cameras plugged into the power sockets but only 3 of them actually connect to my NVR."

Power sockets?

Perhaps a picture would be helpful to further show what you have setup.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you keep the same cameras plug into the same ports ? Or are you moving cameras between ports.

This maybe a bad power supply. Does the NVR show the power draw on a port bases ?

Reaction score
My cameras wireless connect to my NVR. All of the cameras connect separately, just not more than 3 at a time.

Reaction score
Okay my 4th camera now doesn't seem to connect at all now to my NVR. It is the farthest from my NVR so I am guessing that is the problem. The package I got comes with a TPLINK range extender so I am wondering if I could use that to extend my NVR's range.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay my 4th camera now doesn't seem to connect at all now to my NVR. It is the farthest from my NVR so I am guessing that is the problem. The package I got comes with a TPLINK range extender so I am wondering if I could use that to extend my NVR's range.
Hi @Jeffrey Jin

What is the model of the NVR?
What is the models of the cameras?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You more than likely have over loaded your wifi network. This forum recom!mends hardwired connections.

Disconnect all cameras. Move all cameras into the same room as the wifi router.

If possible set up one camera with a frame rate of 5 frames per second. Then another and see if they all connect. All at 5 fps.

Also use the with analyser app to look at the interference on the network.

Reaction score
It doesn't connect to my WIFI network for like the computer or phones. It has like it's own WIFI network.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't connect to my WIFI network for like the computer or phones. It has like it's own WIFI network.
Hi @Jeffrey Jin

Do you own the house?
Are you allowed ( permitted ) to install a wired system?

There are a number of issues with WiFi and interference which cause reliability issues. It's not the products per se, but the technology that is problematic w/ the needs of constant streaming.

Thus why we recommend avoiding WiFi kits like the
Q-See 4-channel Wi-Fi NVR Surveillance System with 1 TB HDD, 4 Bullet Cameras and Wi-Fi Extender
Item 1154519Model QCW4-4EP-1E

Reaction score
My parents own the house but they won't allow me to install a wired system. We had a cheaper wireless camera setup before which worked pretty well which led my parents to believe that wireless is just as good.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
have you look at the wireless network with an wifi analyzer App . Nothing has its own network all wifi networks are shared. It may have a different channel on the network, but it can have interference from all networks in your area. Look at the network. One or two wireless cameras may work by 4 not so much. Have you tested with all the cameras in the same room as the NVR/access point. The extender may help with the camera that is greatest distance from the NVR.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My parents own the house but they won't allow me to install a wired system. We had a cheaper wireless camera setup before which worked pretty well which led my parents to believe that wireless is just as good.
Hi @Jeffrey Jin

Did the cheaper wireless system have lower resolution cameras? You may not have put much traffic on the network, or perhaps things have changed - maybe you have wifi TV dongle which now uses more bandwidth, or other wifi connected devices.

See this is the issue with wifi - as you add more, sooner or later troubles will appear.

Reaction score
It seems like my 4th camera doesn't have a strong enough signal to my NVR. The package came with a TL-WA860RE WIFI extender and I was wondering if I could connect this to my NVR network to increase it's range but I don't know how to do it.