QSee QC888 - Disable built in DHCP server on POE Ports

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I picked up a QSee kit from Costco during the thanksgiving sale.

Is it possible to disable the built in DHCP server that serves the built in POE ports?

I have the NVR and cameras in their own network and handling DHCP from my router. I currently have all the cameras and management interface for the NVR running off my own switch. But I'm low on ports and would like to use the ports built into the NVR.

But then the cameras end up in a different subnet, but that doesn't accomplish keeping everything in the same subnet and managed by my router.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to disable the built in DHCP server that serves the built in POE ports?
It's not so much having a DHCP server as the NVR managing the camera configurations.
With the dual interface of LAN and PoE interface, they do need to be using separate IP address ranges, or there will be routing / networking problems.
If both interfaces are assigned IP addresses on the same subnet, the Linux kernel is unable to route the traffic to the needed interface.

But then the cameras end up in a different subnet, but that doesn't accomplish keeping everything in the same subnet and managed by my router.
I think you just have to let the NVR manage the cameras on its PoE interfaces.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's kind of a bummer. I'm letting them get addresses from my router now with a standalone poe switch and seems to work okay.

I don't like the idea of putting them behind the NVR and loosing visibility of them on the network (able to log into them directly).

Edit, I guess this is a pretty common setup for NVR's. It just bothers my OCD about how I have my home networks laid out.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision and Dahua NVRs have a NAT feature to give direct access to cameras connected to NVR PoE ports. Maybe yours does also.

scoob8000

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision and Dahua NVRs have a NAT feature to give direct access to cameras connected to NVR PoE ports. Maybe yours does also.
I'll poke around a little more. I'm pretty sure this whole kit is just rebranded Dahua..