question about blurry video/motion

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have hikvision cameras that are connected to an Avigilon VMS. At this point, I don't know if the issue is with the IP cameras or with the VMS software. Unfortunately, I don't have a high end IP camera that I can connect to this VMS to test to see if it is the camera or the software, so I figured I would ask here, next.

The image look clear, I have no problem there. Even when viewing captured footage I can see what is happening, but what I am having issues with is viewing a subject, mainly face, frame by frame. If the person is walking in front of a camera, their entire face is blurry. I tested with several clips, if the person doesn't stop and look at the camera and not move, then I don't get a clear shot of their face.

I'd like to try to figure out why this is happening. Is this something others have experienced? Do I need to bump up the FPS in my recording? I am not sure if I am seeing blurry faces because more frames need to be captured or if the quality of the camera video sensor isn't that great and can only do so much, in that situation (someone moving in front of a camera).

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you having issues with daytime, or nighttime? If it's at night then it will be because of the exposure time being too long. If you shorten the exposure time you will almost certainly need a lot more white or IR light on the area you are trying to keep an eye on.
Day time, camera is inside and the lighting is fine, just can't catch a clean image of a face if someone is walking/moving by the camera when I pause the video and click frame by frame in the VMS software.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Day time, camera is inside and the lighting is fine, just can't catch a clean image of a face if someone is walking/moving by the camera when I pause the video and click frame by frame in the VMS software.
post a video...likely your noise reduction is set too high...

glg_99

n3wb
Reaction score
can you change the frame per second you are recording at maybe raise the frame rate. i like 12 fps maybe more if you have a lot of storage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
can you change the frame per second you are recording at maybe raise the frame rate. i like 12 fps maybe more if you have a lot of storage.
fps has not impact on blurriness.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
post a video...likely your noise reduction is set too high...
Ok, I will see what I can do. The site with this issue has a very slow internet connection and I don't want to waste time exporting video/uploading. I'll wait until I am there, this weekend, and export to a USB stick and go from there.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wasn't able to export video w/o not getting a face shot in the video, so I am using this example picture, instead.

As they were walking, you can see how blurry everything is. The capture in the upper right was grabbed from the person standing still. I am not expecting to see crystal clear images when someone is running/moving quickly, but I don't understand why someone that is walking slow/average pace turns up a blurry image. I grabbed this by pausing the video and moving, what I assume is, one frame at a time.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It looks like motion blur from the camera using a long exposure time- what model Hikvision camera is it? Is that shot also cropped much- there's a lot of noise that would also indicate low light or else it's cropped from a much larger capture?

(It appears you might need either more light or a camera better suited to low light conditions.)

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like motion blur from the camera using a long exposure time- what model Hikvision camera is it? Is that shot also cropped much- there's a lot of noise that would also indicate low light or else it's cropped from a much larger capture?

(It appears you might need either more light or a camera better suited to low light conditions.)
I am using Hikvision 2CD2132-I Outdoor HD 3MP IP Dome Security Camera 2.8mm.

The image is not cropped, I paused the video and took a screen shot. I actually commented on another forum that I thought the camera images was a bit noisy, lighting is not great, but it also isn't as dimly lit as the picture might make it seem, it could be that some settings need to be adjusted. For example, one camera (that is outside) I can't seem to nail the exposure. On the default setting, it gives me an over exposed image when pointing to the building across the street with building lights. I can lower the exposure to give me a more realistic looking night image (where I can actually make out the business name that is back lit), but then day time comes and the image is under exposed due to the settings I set for night time recording.

However, I am ok with that (for now) because that isn't what we are discussing in the post and I know what the issue is, I just need to find a better exposure setting. I am more concerned with my initial question simply because I want to make sure I have a clear image when I look frame by frame.

It seems that I need to set a faster exposure, to avoid the blur, but not fast enough to where it doesn't let in enough light (giving me a very low lit image), hence the suggestion for more light or a better low light camera.

Anything else to add to that?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Going by this http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2013121212312392443.pdf it's probably running at the slowest shutter speed - 1/30th second. You should be able to increase that speed via the web GUI for the camera (set the exposure to manual and then select a higher speed), but it will also most likely give a darker/ noisier capture unless you increase the amount of light.

Hikvision do have a Ultra Low Light 3MP the DS-2CD2335FWD-Iwhich would perform a lot better in the same light - there's a thread on it here: DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision Ultra Low Light 3M camera . There's also the Dahua Starlight range. (Even with them it's hard to say if they would give you the desired blur free captures- you would need a significant shutter speed increase.)

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Going by this http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2013121212312392443.pdf it's probably running at the slowest shutter speed - 1/30th second. You should be able to increase that speed via the web GUI for the camera (set the exposure to manual and then select a higher speed), but it will also most likely give a darker/ noisier capture unless you increase the amount of light.

Hikvision do have a Ultra Low Light 3MP the DS-2CD2335FWD-Iwhich would perform a lot better in the same light - there's a thread on it here: DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision Ultra Low Light 3M camera . There's also the Dahua Starlight range. (Even with them it's hard to say if they would give you the desired blur free captures- you would need a significant shutter speed increase.)
Ok, thanks. I am very familiar with the web gui, but have never taken the time to tweak the settings for this blurry issue. I will take a look and report back, thanks.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

That link to the DS-2CD2335FWD-I camera takes me to a broken page, maybe they are doing a site upgrade?

I tweaked the exposure and just as you said, it became a bit darker and nosier, however, it is still manageable. I'll have to see what I can get away with. Such a shame, it was a great image with the longer exposure, but it certainly makes sense why.

Thanks for the feedback.