Questions about the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@fenderman... I would like the flexibility of being able to update the firmware in the future as it could improve a shortcoming of the camera, right? As for port-forwarding, I don't believe I will be doing that. My hope is that I will be able to live view the camera via Sighthound. Am I off base on that? Ideally I would like to run the camera in the mode that gives me the best quality video so I'm not sure if that's 2MP or 3MP etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman... I would like the flexibility of being able to update the firmware in the future as it could improve a shortcoming of the camera, right? As for port-forwarding, I don't believe I will be doing that. My hope is that I will be able to live view the camera via Sighthound. Am I off base on that? Ideally I would like to run the camera in the mode that gives me the best quality video so I'm not sure if that's 2MP or 3MP etc.
If you are running third party vms there is almost never reason to update firmware...I have hikvision cameras running early versions of 5.x firmware with no issues...since you wont be getting any warranty via amazon sellers you may as well buy from aliexpress (someone reliable like cctv china or HB)...there is a premium for true US cameras...
A middle ground is buying 2mp versions of the camera from nellys or milkisbad...there are two benefits to 2mp..
1) a native 2mp camera of the same type will perform better in low light and night vision over a 3mp (setting the 3mp camera to 2mp does not help_
2) with hikvision cameras 2mp mode (1080p) will give you a wider horizontal view than 3mp mode...you will loose alot of vertical..sometimes you dont need lots of vertical, for example a driveway camera that is facing the street at a proper (not steep angle)..all the vertical will do is waste space recording the sky..(you will get the same horizontal benefit with a 3mp hikvision set to 2mp mode)
Its very important to understand that 3mp is NOT 50 percent clearer than 2mp...its not linear like that.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@fenderman... sorry for my ignorance of things since I'm just now learning but what does vms stand for? I'm not concerned about warranty on a relatively inexpensive camera so assuming I buy from aliexpress, will the cameras I get from cctv China or HB have english menus?

Okay, another question :)
One of my locations would benefit from a wider view. So based on what you said, a 2MP camera would be better. Does that model come with 2.8mm and/or 4.0mm lens? If so, does a 4.0mm 2MP camera have similar view to a 3MP 2.8mm camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman... sorry for my ignorance of things since I'm just now learning but what does vms stand for? I'm not concerned about warranty on a relatively inexpensive camera so assuming I buy from aliexpress, will the cameras I get from cctv China or HB have english menus?

Okay, another question :)
One of my locations would benefit from a wider view. So based on what you said, a 2MP camera would be better. Does that model come with 2.8mm and/or 4.0mm lens? If so, does a 4.0mm 2MP camera have similar view to a 3MP 2.8mm camera?
Video management software. Yes they will have English menus..however if you update the firmware it will either brick the cam or revert to Chinese (there are workarounds but its a hassle)..
To clarify, when it comes to viewing angle (on hikvision), both the 3mp and the 2mp will be the same if you set them both to 2mp...yes the come with both lenses...the 2.8 is cheaper via milkisbad than his 4mm...as far as comparing 4mm in 2mp mode to 3mp in 2.8...i cannot say for certain...

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@fenderman... I think I'll just go with the 3MP 2.8mm model. I have searched aliexpress and can't find them available so how do I see about milkisbad? Should I steer clear of Amazon vendors? How about ebay? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman... I think I'll just go with the 3MP 2.8mm model. I have searched aliexpress and can't find them available so how do I see about milkisbad? Should I steer clear of Amazon vendors? How about ebay? Thanks
ali has tons of 2.8mm 3mp...ill post some links in a sec...
milk has the sale on the 2mp 2.8

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hikvision-outdoor-ip-camera-DS-2CD2332-I-Network-Kamera-ip-3MP-dome-Camera-w-POE-3D/514412_1386178269.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-hikvision-3megapixel-3mp-array-30m-IR-Network-Dome-DS-2CD2332-I-support-POE-free-shipping/638300_1396985171.html
For cctv china, select 380tvl to get the 2.8mm version...

Amazon and ebay are fine as long as the vendor has good reviews and you dont pay more than ali....if you need it asap then you can buy from a prime amazon vendor buy you are paying for the quick shipping.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @fenderman... I guess my inability to find the DS-2CD2332-I was because I searched for "Hikvision 2332" thinking it would find them. Appreciate the links, I'm not in a hurry so ordering so ordering from China is okay. Looking forward to seeing the sale from milkisbad.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You gotta be careful with the calculators as they only give you a generally ideas...for example I can say from expericen that a dahua 3mp 2.8mm lens will provide just about the same horizontal fov as a 4mm hikvision in 1080p mode...
Never tested the hikvision one..gonna look at that.
Edit: dont see a hikvision calc..where is that?

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Edit: dont see a hikvision calc..where is that?
There isn't a Hikvision lens calculator but plenty of other handy stuff (Tools) such as SADP (search active device protocol), IPC Calculator software, Disk Calculator software and Bandwidth Calculator software. All software I have used when installing my systems.

fenderman you do raise a good point about the on line lens calculators.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There isn't a Hikvision lens calculator but plenty of other handy stuff (Tools) such as SADP (search active device protocol), IPC Calculator software, Disk Calculator software and Bandwidth Calculator software. All software I have used when installing my systems.

fenderman you do raise a good point about the on line lens calculators.
oh, i though i was losing it...:D

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Does the DS-2CD2332-I require a wall mount when mounted? Was hoping just to mount the camera by itself. Also, once mounted... do I have both vertical and horizontal range of motion to fine tune the area it covers since this is not a PTZ camera? Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the DS-2CD2332-I require a wall mount when mounted? Was hoping just to mount the camera by itself. Also, once mounted... do I have both vertical and horizontal range of motion to fine tune the area it covers since this is not a PTZ camera? Thanks!
Yes by design a turret is three axis and you can rotate it any which way, so its directly wall mountable...and yes you can adjust it any way you like after mounting.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One question tho.. why max out the bitrate? I've found that 2560mbps works great.... just seems like a lot of extra network traffic IMHO....

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Most cameras have a max bit rate around 16 Mbps or less due to hardware encoding limits, so you can't really set it too excessive. Sure, even for 2 MP @ 30 FPS video it may be difficult to see any difference between 16 Mbps and a more conservative 8 Mbps. There are plenty of reasons a lower bit rate can be beneficial: If your network bandwidth is limited, your disk space is limited, you are recording continuously, or if you are using an NVR with strict bit rate limits. One of my PTZ cameras actually gets overloaded and becomes a bit unresponsive if I encode at maximum frame rate and bit rate.

But when using motion detection and Blue Iris in particular, the CPU is usually the bottleneck so you can get away with higher than necessary bit rates with no negative consequences. It will only help image quality, not hurt it.