R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

czakom

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, i have two DS-2CD2132F-IWS camera (V5.2.0 build 140721, V5.2.5 build 141201) Can i update to 5.4.5? thank you

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i have two DS-2CD2132F-IWS camera (V5.2.0 build 140721, V5.2.5 build 141201) Can i update to 5.4.5?
If they are 'English / upgradeable' (with CCWR in the serial number) then you can update by major versions from here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL
If they are China market cameras (with CCCH in the serial number) then you should follow the 'enhanced mtd hack' from here :
Unbrick and fully upgrade your R0 / DS-2CD2x32 IP cameras -
R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

jordanb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hi, have followed instructions, cam is in min sys mode, but keep getting the following error, can anyone help?

Code:
Checking that tftp works OK ...
[ INFO][MIN]TFTP: tftp: server error: (0) No such file or directory
Extracted the original mtdblock6 as mtd6ro_orig
Extracted the original mtdblock1 as mtd1ro_orig
Transferring out mtd6ro_orig via tftp ...

*** error transferring mtd6ro_orig via tftp to the PC. ****
Each stage of the process is carried out by a run of the /dav/fixup.sh script ...
The next stage is :
-rw-r--r--    1        50 Mar 18 09:58 /dav/fixup_stage1.txt

*** An error has occurred. Check the on-screen messages and the contents of the logfile   ***
*** fixup_log.txt that was transferred to your PC and after correcting the cause of the   ***
*** error re-run the script /dav/fixup.sh to resume.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you still running the Hikvision tftp updater on the PC by any chance?
It will only transfer files down to the camera - it won't upload files from the camera.
A 'real' tftp server such as the Jounin tftp32d as listed needs to be used.

jordanb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That would have been my issue, thanks.

I have given up for today, putty has somehow stopped working now, will let me put in admin, but when trying to type 12345 for pass it doesn't show, not sure what I have done with it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Dumb question - the password would not normally show. Though presumably there is nothing happening after you press Return.

jordanb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im sure that it used to show previously.
When hitting return, an incorrect password message appears.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The brickfixv2 /dav/fixup.sh script extracts it for you, then you modify the contents ready for it to put the modded version back for you.
When you have modified the extracted mtd6 file - the /dav/fixup.sh script will apply it for you.
Suggestion:
Re-read the step-by-step guide.
Watch the YouTube video.

I just wanted to update concerning this bit you posted for me to try and use. This is working for the China Cameras very well and allows me to finally get the Hikvision page open and make camera setting changes. Thanks much, got a couple more cameras and I will be completed.

Suggestion:
You haven't specified what the PC IP address is when you ran SADP.
I'm speculating that it may be in a different address range than the 192.168.1.64 that SADP shows for the camera.
Set the PC IP address to, say, 192.168.1.128
Run SADP - check that it's at least version 3.0.x and see what it says for 'Status' for the camera.
It should be 'Inactive'.

Point your IE browser at the IP address shown in SADP, 192.168.1.64
You should get a page asking you to create a strong password in order to 'Activate' the camera.

:goodpost:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This is working for the China Cameras very well and allows me to finally get the Hikvision page open and make camera setting changes.
Well done, it does sound like you're getting near the end of this particular journey!
Annoying and frustrating it may be on the way, but it's good to get to that successful end-point.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well done, it does sound like you're getting near the end of this particular journey!
Annoying and frustrating it may be on the way, but it's good to get to that successful end-point.
Completed Hikvision Updates - 5 Hikvision Cameras with all performing perfectly. Thank you Alastairstevenson for your help and quick response on this thread posting. I very much appreciate the use of the forum as well for having all this resourceful information available. You all making life a little more easier. :)

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Im sure that it used to show previously.
When hitting return, an incorrect password message appears.
Hey Jordan , watch this video. Password never showed when I updated mine. I don't think it matters also during this update process.

jagomez26

n3wb
Reaction score
successfully updated two of my cameras. awesome tool ! would love to see it work with other cameras, specifically the ds-2de2202-de mini ptz.

alateef

n3wb
Reaction score
First post and another success! I upgraded 3 DS-2CD2132-I cameras using the tools/scripts.

I purchased them from Newegg about 4 years ago. I was slightly concerned when I received them that they were brown box and appeared to come from China, but didn't think much of it until I went to upgrade. They came with 5.2 firmware, and for some reason never could be found by SADP or IVMS no matter what I did...(until AFTER upgrading to 5.4.5).
I always used the Web gui to manage the cameras.

Also..I had an "oh crap" moment after the upgrade when I couldn't ping the camera on 192.0.0.64. I think the step by step could mention that the 5.4.5 firmware changes the default IP to 192.168.1.64. Luckily SADP told me the new IP...
I do have one question...Does anyone know if the Camera MUST have a 192.0.0.X address before attempting the upgrade? I had set mine to DHCP previously, and set static IP's in the router (I run a different subnet on my network).
I spent the time to change each of them back to 192.0.0.64 before upgrade but wondered if it was necessary.
Thanks Very Much for your work alastairstevenson!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
First post and another success! I upgraded 3 DS-2CD2132-I cameras using the tools/scripts.
Excellent! Well done, another good result.

I do have one question...Does anyone know if the Camera MUST have a 192.0.0.X address before attempting the upgrade? I had set mine to DHCP previously, and set static IP's in the router (I run a different subnet on my network).
I spent the time to change each of them back to 192.0.0.64 before upgrade but wondered if it was necessary.
It doesn't matter what the 'running' IP address is set to.
The 192.0.0.64 address is built in to the way the min-system environment works - it's actually set in the u-boot bootloader environment variables, which are independent of the normal configuration values.

Also..I had an "oh crap" moment after the upgrade when I couldn't ping the camera on 192.0.0.64. I think the step by step could mention that the 5.4.5 firmware changes the default IP to 192.168.1.64. Luckily SADP told me the new IP...
Yes, SADP is certainly a must-have tool for Hikvision devices.

Reaction score
I'm stuck and would appreciate help.

I've sent brickfixv2 renamed via tftpserv. Everything worked fine.

Switched to telnet and started the session and all worked fine.

I was able to login and sent /dav/fixup.sh

Here is the output on telnet minus the generic intro above it that describes the steps:

[ INFO][MIN]TFTP:
tftp test transfer worked OK.
Each stage of the process is carried out by a run of the /dav/fixup.sh script ...
The next stage is :
ls: /dav/fixup_stage*: No such file or directory

[ INFO][MIN]TFTP:
*** An error has occurred. Check the on-screen messages and the contents of the logfile ***
*** fixup_log.txt that was transferred to your PC and after correcting the cause of the ***
*** error re-run the script /dav/fixup.sh to resume.

Then here is what is in fixup_log.txt:

End of script - ready for the next run.
[stage start] fixup_log.txt successfully transferrred to the PC via tftp

I don't even see an error in there that I can fix.

I have a DS-2CD2032 I was on version 5.0 and just wanting to upgrade to the latest safe firmware.

Any help would be appreciated. I tried doing this on windows 10 and a windows 7 vitual machine.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's odd.
I don't even see an error in there that I can fix.
The error is :
The next stage is :
ls: /dav/fixup_stage*: No such file or directory
The file that holds the status of which stage the process has reached is missing.
That file is initially created when the brickfixv2 firmware is executed after the power cycle following installation, it's created when the payload is dropped.

As you don't seem to have this at the beginning of the fixup.log, it suggests that the brickfixv2 firmware was installed but not activated by a power cycle :
Code:
[Brick-fix tool] Initialising fixup_log.txt
Payload dropped, rollback re-enabled
Initialising fixup current status to stage1
[Brick-fix tool] Initiating reboot into min-system
So - question - in between these 2 actions, did you power-cycle the camera ?
I've sent brickfixv2 renamed via tftpserv. Everything worked fine.

Switched to telnet and started the session and all worked fine.
If not, it may explain the symptoms.

Suggestion :
At the telnet prompt, execute the following command -
echo "Fixup stage1" > /dav/fixup_stage1.txt
then execute /dav/fixup.sh

If that doesn't work, and the camera has not been power-cycled since the brickfixv2 install, power-cycle it, log in via telnet and try /dav/fixup.sh

And if that doesn't work, re-install brickfixv2 via the Hikvision tftp updater and start again.

Reaction score
And if that doesn't work, re-install brickfixv2 via the Hikvision tftp updater and start again.
I ended up just starting fresh. The only thing I changed in my process (which I didn't even notice I did not do the first time) was extracting brickfixv2 files. Apparently, the first round through, I only copied out the file. This was most certainly my problem.

Excellent work on the tool and I really appreciate your help!

My camera is now configured on the most recent firmware!

DJBenson

n3wb
Reaction score
I just wanted to say a huge "thank you" to everybody involved in putting this guide together - until I stumbled upon this thread, I didn't know about the Hikvision exploit nor that there had been progress in getting the Chinese camera's to accept international firmware upgrades - so today has been a good day.

I have 8 camera's at home, a mix of grey imports and official UK stock. The four DS-2CD2032-I's I have (all imports, all with V5.2.5 build 141201) have now been upgraded to the latest R0 build (V5.4.5 build 170123) which was super-easy thanks to this guide. However, the remainder of my cameras (3 DS-2CD2035-I's and 1 DS-2CD2142FWD-IS) are proving problematic, not least because Hikvision make it (seemingly) impossible to track down firmware upgrades even if you do invest in official UK models.

I would like all my cameras to be running the latest build, and had hoped that I could use brickfixv2 to upgrade the UK cameras but they never make a TFTP call during boot so I'm not sure what to do.

Will the UK cameras accept the latest R0 firmware without any messing around (e.g. directly via the web UI) or can anybody suggest how to bring the other four cameras up to the latest build?