R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
can this camera be upgraded back to 5.30 en and above with English enabled?
Yes, it can be converted to full English and fully upgraded to the backdoor-fixed 5.4.5 firmware by using the brickfixv2 method here :
Unbrick and fully upgrade your R0 / DS-2CD2x32 IP cameras -
R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

But while you still have access to the web GUI, even with it in Chinese, enable telnet and check the devType value using the 'prtHardInfo' command.
Follow the step-by-step guide, and the video example.

wesk18

n3wb
Reaction score
I was able to upgrade 3 cameras to 3.45 but on one it won't do it, it copies the file but it doesn't finish updating, any ideas why it wont work, anyone know the pinout for the uart?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You probably know this, but just in case:
You also need a 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH wired connector. Very cheap, usually sold in 10 packs.

wesk18

n3wb
Reaction score
You probably know this, but just in case:
You also need a 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH wired connector. Very cheap, usually sold in 10 packs.
i was able to connect to it, this is what i get.

[ INFO][MIN]TFTP: Download File [OK]
[ INFO][MIN]BURN: File size is 13042245 bytes (12736 KB)
[UPG][DEBUG_NOTICE][ext/sys_firm_version.c][firm_version_upgrade][626]:####### iFirmVers=0x5010000,iDevsVers=0x5030000,iBase=0x0,iMask=0xffff0000 #######
[UPG][RT_ERROR][ext/sys_firm_version.c][firm_version_upgrade][628]:[UPG_ASSERT] (unsigned int)(iFirmVers) >= (iDevsVers & pVerInfo->iMask) fail to eRetVal -1=0xffffffff!
[ INFO][MIN]BURN: digicap package error!!!

[ INFO][MIN]BURN: Write Flash [FAIL] error: write flash.
!!!!! UPDATE FAIL !!!!!

wesk18

n3wb
Reaction score
update... i tried brickfix en this time.

[ INFO][MIN]TFTP: Download File [OK]
[ INFO][MIN]BURN: File size is 15436584 bytes (15074 KB)
[UPG][DEBUG_NOTICE][ext/sys_firm_version.c][firm_version_check][435]:i=1,szFileName=_cfgUpgClass,iFirmOffset=0xe64
[UPG][DEBUG_NOTICE][ext/sys_firm_version.c][firm_version_check][479]:####### iFirmVers=0x5040000, sys firm version check ok #######
[UPG][DEBUG_NOTICE][ext/sys_firm_version.c][firm_version_upgrade][626]:####### iFirmVers=0x5040000,iDevsVers=0x5030000,iBase=0x0,iMask=0xffff0000 #######
[ INFO][MIN]BURN: Writing Flash
[ INFO][MIN]BURN: ..................................................
[ INFO][MIN]BURN: Write Flash [OK]
***** UPDATE COMPLETE *****

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The first attempt is a downgrade block.
The second looks normal, now needs a power cycle to activate the brickfixv2, drop the payload and reboot into min-system mode with telnet active.

When it's done that, use ifconfig to see if the default IP address is at the needed 192.0.0.64
If not, that could be the cause of the problem, if the environment variables have been changed away from the default.

wesk18

n3wb
Reaction score
The first attempt is a downgrade block.
The second looks normal, now needs a power cycle to activate the brickfixv2, drop the payload and reboot into min-system mode with telnet active.

When it's done that, use ifconfig to see if the default IP address is at the needed 192.0.0.64
If not, that could be the cause of the problem, if the environment variables have been changed away from the default.
I successfully upgrade to 5.45 en , thanks
uart pinout for a DS-2CD2532f-is, gnd tx rx pwr^

can a ds-7108n-sn/p be upgrade? it's currently running 3.0.13

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for getting there.
What trick if any was used to coax that last camera into being updated?

As for the NVR - sorry, but I don't know the answer to that.

alexf40

n3wb
Reaction score
*** FIXED Please Ignore***

For anyone else, my mistake was rebooting the camera rather than physically turning the power off

*** FIXED Please Ignore***

Hi Alastair, hoping you'd be so kind to help, I'm getting an error when trying to run /dav/fixup.sh

The fixup.sh script tells me there is an error and to check the fixup_log.txt file but it shows no errors, messages below.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

# /dav/fixup.sh
This is the brick-fix and update script which will help you to extract,
modify and replace mtdblock6 to fix the downgrade block and convert this camera to English updateable.

** It is no longer necessary to make any changes to mtdblock1 - these have been processed already **
The whole process takes 3 stages.
Stage 1 - mtdblock6 is extracted and sent via tftp to your PC for you to modify.
Stage 2 - the modified mtdblock6 is retrieved by tftp from your PC and applied to the camera.
Stage 3 - the '5.3.0 to 5.2.5 downgrader' firmware is retrieved by tftp from your PC and used to update the camera.
At this point the web GUI in English will be available and allow
you to do progressive updates from 5.2.5 to 5.3.0 to 5.4.0 to 5.4.5
In each stage, check the content of the logfile fixup_log.txt for the actions taken and the status.
Good luck!
Checking that tftp works OK ...
[ INFO][MIN]TFTP:
tftp test transfer worked OK.
Each stage of the process is carried out by a run of the /dav/fixup.sh script ...
The next stage is :
ls: /dav/fixup_stage*: No such file or directory

[ INFO][MIN]TFTP:
*** An error has occurred. Check the on-screen messages and the contents of the logfile ***
*** fixup_log.txt that was transferred to your PC and after correcting the cause of the ***
*** error re-run the script /dav/fixup.sh to resume. ***
#

[stage start] fixup_log.txt successfully transferrred to the PC via tftp
End of script - ready for the next run.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone else, my mistake was rebooting the camera rather than physically turning the power off
ls: /dav/fixup_stage*: No such file or directory
Yes, the file that holds the current stage of the process is initially created following the power cycle after the install of the brickfixv2 firmware, to activate it and drop the payload.
Glad you got there!

vsync

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

If anyone can help or have an idea that I can try, please let me know:
I could not get the camera 2CD2432F-IW to connect to TFTP to do anything.
It got upgraded from version 5.3 to 5.4.41 build 170312 and pretty much bricked. (mismatch language)
I can still see it via SADP but that's about it.
I can't ssh / telnet to it and as far as I can see tftp is not working at all. (2 devices connect to a switch)
The windows 8.1 computer has all antivirus and firewall disable.
Even windows defender is disable.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I could not get the camera 2CD2432F-IW to connect to TFTP to do anything.
What did the status window of the tftp updater show when you powered on the camera?

I can still see it via SADP but that's about it.
It's the web access that's not working, due to the 'language mismatch'.
Worth trying is to attempt an install of the brickfixv2CN version with these alternate methods, best tried when the PC IP address is set to be in the same range as the camera IP address as shown in SADP:
Find the camera with the 'Batch Configuration Tool' and install the brickfixV2CN.dav firmware - Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
Another one to try is via the 'Firmware update' menu in ONVIF Device Manager, from sourceforge.net
In both cases you'll need to provide working logon credentials for the camera.

If the install works OK, change the PC IP address to 192.0.0.128, power cycle the camera, then use the telnet access to 192.0.0.64 to run the /dav/fixup.sh script.

Good luck!

vsync

n3wb
Reaction score
What did the status window of the tftp updater show when you powered on the camera?

It's the web access that's not working, due to the 'language mismatch'.
Worth trying is to attempt an install of the brickfixv2CN version with these alternate methods, best tried when the PC IP address is set to be in the same range as the camera IP address as shown in SADP:
Find the camera with the 'Batch Configuration Tool' and install the brickfixV2CN.dav firmware - Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
Another one to try is via the 'Firmware update' menu in ONVIF Device Manager, from sourceforge.net
In both cases you'll need to provide working logon credentials for the camera.

If the install works OK, change the PC IP address to 192.0.0.128, power cycle the camera, then use the telnet access to 192.0.0.64 to run the /dav/fixup.sh script.

Good luck!
- TFTP windows says TFTP Server [192.0.0.128] initialized.
and then absolutely nothing. I've tried plug in direct via POE injector / via switch etc, still nothing.
I've even tried python tftp version on linux just in case, same problem.
It's like the TFTP server on the camera is broken somehow.
- I've tried upgrade firmware via the batch config tool, fail doesn't matter what firmware I choose. Same via ONVIF manager.
- I've managed enable ssh via Chinese version of iVMS but only let me in via admin user. I've tried root user with the same password without any luck.
- Telnet doesn't work.
- I've tried enable telnet via SDK and it shows telnet enable but it still refuse any connection.
Without root account, I can't do anything either. If you have any other idea, please let me know.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are using a PoE injector to power the camera, that can get in the way of the tftp updater. Best to power via 12v supply.
I'd suggested the CN version of the brickfixV2 tool based on the language mismatch with the EN firmware. But if you haven't tried it already, the EN version would also be worth trying.
Not that it will help, as you'd get stuck with 'psh' - the password for root will be hiklinux

Reaction score
Thanks @alastairstevenson this worked great to get my Chinese non-bricked 2432 to English with the latest firmware.

I was wondering, I also have a 2335 in Chinese. Is there a similar English firmware for that model? I was planning on selling it on eBay, and I assume most people who want it in the USA would prefer English.