R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

Mancho4

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any solution, that you can help me with that camera

Mancho4

n3wb
Reaction score
Buenos amigos, el problema no es que esté en chino, el problema es que al conectarlo al nvr, no lo acepta por incompatibilidad de idioma y la configuración por lotes no me permite actualizar

Mancho4

n3wb
Reaction score
If the problem is Chinese menus - configure the camera using the Batch Configuration tool :

Good friends, the problem is not that it is in Chinese, the problem is that when connecting it to the nvr it does not accept it due to language incompatibility and the batch configuration does not allow me to update

Mancho4

n3wb
Reaction score
I try to update with the attachment and it won't let me. neither via web, nor with batch tool DS-2CD3145F-IS.

I try to update with the attachment and it won't let me. nor via web, nor with batch tool, there would be something to do to change the ideoma and also it does not allow me to update firmware

Attachments

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had asked about this in the past but wondered if anyone has had recent experience.
I bought HV camera several years ago. I discovered after some time that it was one of the hackable cameras from china. I have removed port forwarding so that this problem is not affecting me anymore, but I would like to upgrade this camera using the upgrade path created here.

The camera was not one that clearly anyone spoke about fixing. So I'm just revisiting the idea to see if anything new has come about.

Using the SADP tool it says the following.

DS-2CD3145-IS
SW 5.3.9Build160612
SN DS-2CD3145F-IS20160826BBCH636730521

Can I Use the tools here to upgrade and if I wreck it will the unbrick tools be able to recover it?
What are your thoughts please?
Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I Use the tools here to upgrade and if I wreck it will the unbrick tools be able to recover it?
Unfortunately - that's not an R0 series camera, which this thread and technical method is very specifically linked to.
The internals of your DS-2CD3145-IS operate differently in terms of how the region / language is stamped into it.

glockgabe

n3wb
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson,
I have followed your guide from page 1 of this forum post and am having a problem. I have a DS-2CD2132-I with following serial number: DS-2CD2132-I0120131212CCRR444820236 (RR Region Code: Other/unspecified). I am able to get the camera into TFTP recovery mode with IP 192.0.0.64 and my PC is at 192.0.0.128, but the camera doesn't do the handshaking over port 9978 9979 to kick off the HiikVision TFTP server. This isn't a problem because I have Telnet access to the camera, and can manually issue TFTP commands to push/pull files on the camera which I have tested. I was wanting to know where to place the digicap.dav file (renamed from brickfixv2EN.dav) in the camera filesystem? I have searched all over this forum, and elsewhere on Google, but can't figure out what the HikVision TFTP service does with the file when it TFTP's it onto the camera. My dilemma is that df -h on the camera shows this storage:
# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 7.9M 7.0M 877.0K 89% /
/dev/root 7.9M 7.0M 877.0K 89% /
udev 46.9M 76.0K 46.8M 0% /dev
/dev/ubi1_0 19.8M 9.2M 9.6M 49% /dav
/dev/ubi3_0 1.3M 52.0K 1.1M 4% /davinci
/dev/ubi4_0 1.3M 56.0K 1.1M 5% /config

The digicap.dav file is 18MB and will only fit in the /dev directory since it has 46.8MB available. I don't think this is where it is supposed to go? Can you please provide some guidance, so I can manually kick off your brickfix process?

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm away just now and don't have access to my files and notes for a proper reply - but :

I am able to get the camera into TFTP recovery mode with IP 192.0.0.64 and my PC is at 192.0.0.128, but the camera doesn't do t
How did you get into recovery mode?
Usually that's only entered when 'bricked' in some way, or by explicitly setting it with a command at a root shell, such as when the brickfixV2 firmware runs the startup script.
The tftp updater handshaking attempt only takes place during bootloader execution - but if telnet access to a root shell is available the tftp handshaking isn't needed.
Do you still have access to a normal web GUI? If so, the brickfixV2 firmware can be loaded using the Maintenance menu instead of the bootloader tftp updater method.

To answer your question about where digicap.dav gets loaded - it's loaded into RAM memory, not the flash memory.
But you don't need to do the detail on that if you just use the 'update' command at a root shell to load and apply the brickfixV2 firmware - it will handle all that's needed.

glockgabe

n3wb
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson ,
Thank you for the quick reply.
I sort of stumbled upon recovery mode on this camera. I thought the camera temporarily assigned this IP on boot, but found a random forum post telling me to go the web interface and run System>Maintenance>Default and this would factory reset the camera and allow it to assign itself 192.0.0.64. Knowing what I know now from what you have explained, I am not sure how the camera did this? In the web interface under the Network tab, it shows this IP statically assigned.

So, I do have access to a normal web GUI, but I was wanting to run your updater because I think this is a gray market camera and I can't get it to take any firmware. I access the System/Maintenance menu and click the "Browse" button under "Remote Upgrade" and a file search box is never displayed. The "Browse" button appears to do nothing. I have tried accessing this camera via http/https on IE, Firefox, and Chrome and get the same results. I had thought about installing your digicap.dav this way, but have been unable to get it to take in the web GUI.

So onto the next bit of info on this camera. I did some digging and found /home is mounted on ramfs which would be memory. I was able to tftp your digicap.dav to /home without a problem.

# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext2 (rw,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
ramfs on /home type ramfs (rw,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
/dev/ubi1_0 on /dav type ubifs (rw,relatime)
/dev/ubi3_0 on /davinci type ubifs (rw,relatime)
/dev/ubi4_0 on /config type ubifs (rw,relatime)

The issue now, is that I don't have an upgrade binary on this camera. I have searched /bin, I have tried "which upgrade", I tried to do some file searching, but "find" isn't installed. I have no clue how this camera would do an upgrade without this binary.

A little history:
I procured 2 of these DS-2CD2132-I 4mm cameras from a random seller on eBay probably 6 years ago. I have never messed with them until now, and am unsure if the seller did something nefarious to them. They boot, and I can access the RTSP stream from them on my ZM server, but the web GUI is practically useless, so I can't adjust any of the camera settings. I was hoping to run the brickfixv2 and get them back up and running again. I guess I am causing quite the problem!

I would really like to get these cameras fixed, so any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I can provide you any information you need off the cameras to help in the troubleshooting. Thank you!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Factory default is not the same as the min-system recovery mode.
You should be able to apply the brickfixV2 via the web GUI with IE11. Lack of browse button suggests not a compatible browser.

Another option to get started on the brickfixV2 firmware would be the Batch Configuration Tool. Check the forum downloads section for that.

Oleglevsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson ,
Thank you for the quick reply.
I sort of stumbled upon recovery mode on this camera. I thought the camera temporarily assigned this IP on boot, but found a random forum post telling me to go the web interface and run System>Maintenance>Default and this would factory reset the camera and allow it to assign itself 192.0.0.64. Knowing what I know now from what you have explained, I am not sure how the camera did this? In the web interface under the Network tab, it shows this IP statically assigned.

So, I do have access to a normal web GUI, but I was wanting to run your updater because I think this is a gray market camera and I can't get it to take any firmware. I access the System/Maintenance menu and click the "Browse" button under "Remote Upgrade" and a file search box is never displayed. The "Browse" button appears to do nothing. I have tried accessing this camera via http/https on IE, Firefox, and Chrome and get the same results. I had thought about installing your digicap.dav this way, but have been unable to get it to take in the web GUI.

So onto the next bit of info on this camera. I did some digging and found /home is mounted on ramfs which would be memory. I was able to tftp your digicap.dav to /home without a problem.

# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext2 (rw,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
ramfs on /home type ramfs (rw,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
/dev/ubi1_0 on /dav type ubifs (rw,relatime)
/dev/ubi3_0 on /davinci type ubifs (rw,relatime)
/dev/ubi4_0 on /config type ubifs (rw,relatime)

The issue now, is that I don't have an upgrade binary on this camera. I have searched /bin, I have tried "which upgrade", I tried to do some file searching, but "find" isn't installed. I have no clue how this camera would do an upgrade without this binary.

A little history:
I procured 2 of these DS-2CD2132-I 4mm cameras from a random seller on eBay probably 6 years ago. I have never messed with them until now, and am unsure if the seller did something nefarious to them. They boot, and I can access the RTSP stream from them on my ZM server, but the web GUI is practically useless, so I can't adjust any of the camera settings. I was hoping to run the brickfixv2 and get them back up and running again. I guess I am causing quite the problem!

I would really like to get these cameras fixed, so any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I can provide you any information you need off the cameras to help in the troubleshooting. Thank you!
An easy transition from the Chinese version of the ip camera R0 series to the European version is possible using the service firmware. Follow the link to my blog page
Download the file and update the firmware from the camera's web interface, or by other available methods, then restart the camera

Last edited:

glockgabe

n3wb
Reaction score
Factory default is not the same as the min-system recovery mode.
You should be able to apply the brickfixV2 via the web GUI with IE11. Lack of browse button suggests not a compatible browser.

Another option to get started on the brickfixV2 firmware would be the Batch Configuration Tool. Check the forum downloads section for that.
@alastairstevenson ,
Thank you for the latest hints. I have to say that I caused all of this trouble for myself. Your advise to use the Batch Configuration Tool is what I needed since the firmware upload via web interface is broken on these cameras. I was unable to load your firmware, and did some digging around on the forums and found the R0 series DL page which had hints that firmware older than 5.1 needed to follow a stepped upgrade path. Both of my cameras were running 5.0.2, so I downloaded all of the needed firmware files from this forum, and proceeded to step my way up to 5.4.41, and everything is working like a charm. Between the repaired functionality in the web interface and what the Batch Configuration Tool can do for me, I can now manage these cameras and make them function for the time being until it's time to replace them. I am very sorry to bother you with my n00b problems, but I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Both of my cameras were running 5.0.2, so I downloaded all of the needed firmware files from this forum, and proceeded to step my way up to 5.4.41, and everything is working like a charm.
That's good to hear, well done!
So in reality it turns out that the brickfixV2 method wasn't needed - as the device wasn't bricked, and wasn't a Chinese camera.

I am very sorry to bother you with my n00b problems, but I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Thanks!
Don't be - all these experiences are also helpful to others when you post about them.
We all learn by sharing, it's all good.

glockgabe

n3wb
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson ,
So I felt good about upgrading my dome cams, that I found my box of 3, DS-2CD2032-I 4mm bullets. These are actually Chinese cams CCCH serial numbered. I knew that I had bought some actual Chinese ones, but didn't realize it was the bullets.

Anyway, I have been trying to get these upgraded today since I had such luck with the domes. I started out with the first cam on v5.0.2 firmware, and upgraded it using the Batch Configuration Tool to v5.1.0 without issue. Then, I went ahead and upgraded to v5.2.3 without issue. I was able to get to the web interface on this version even though it was in Chinese. I then had a decision to make, do I try to load your digicap.dav or continue on with v5.3.0 firmware. I chose the latter and loaded v5.3.0 onto the camera and it worked, but now http access is not available. I get the Access Error: 404 -- Not Found firmware language mismatch: /home/webLib error in the web browser. I read your instructions to another user on another forum thread about this, but didn't see a path forward for myself. Now seems like the perfect point to run the BrickfixV2, but the camera isn't booting into recovery mode on its own. I tried holding down the reset button on the back of the case, but that just resets the camera to defaults, and sets the IP to 192.168.1.64 (yes, it is one of those kinds). I did try to see if it would communicate with the HikVision TFTP updater, but like you told me in an earlier post, if the camera is not actually in recovery mode, it won't try to contact the TFTP server.

So, now I am stuck. I can access SSH on the camera, but it is a highly stripped down command structure. There isn't even a TFTP command on it anymore. I can't cd or ls anyplace either. I tried to use the Batch Configuration Tool to put your digicap.dav onto the camera, but I think that file is based on a firmware earlier than 5.3.0, so it has protections in place to prevent a downgrade. This means that the only recovery method is to do a recovery TFTP somehow. What would you recommend I try? Thanks!

Oleglevsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An easy transition from the Chinese version of the ip camera R0 series to the European version is possible using the service firmware. Follow the link to my blog page
Download the file and update the firmware from the camera's web interface, or by other available methods, then restart the camera
just download and install the service firmware

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried to use the Batch Configuration Tool to put your digicap.dav onto the camera, but I think that file is based on a firmware earlier than 5.3.0, so it has protections in place to prevent a downgrade.
No, the brickfixV2 is based on the 5.4.0 firmware, specifically to avoid any issues with the downgrade block.

Would the next step be to use the Batch Configuration Tool and load your digicap.dav onto the device?
Yes, that should work OK, but you'll need to use the CN version that has the Chinese flag in the header.
Or try the web GUI Maintenance menu to apply the firmware.

The brickfixV2 firmware holds within it a modified form of the recovery environment and instructs the camera to boot into it.
Once that's running, the rest of the process should be straightforward.