Rack mount?

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
so I ended up going with Axis. Bought their S2016 nvr server. It’s huuuge. And loud. I’m thinking not to Isengard my existing rack next to theater for these reasons. Any thoughts or suggestions about mounting in my attic. I am in south Florida and it does get very hot in there. Was going to run a fan facing it. Get a wall mount 2u, mount on board and run my cables to its poe ports.

Ideas?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm in temperate Southern California and I wouldn't put an NVR in the attic. The heat will kill it. I have a hard drive recovery utility that stops when the drive hits 50C. That's only 122F. I've seen it hotter in my attic. Its going to get a lot hotter in your attic. Can you put it in the garage where it might be a little cooler at least?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Wassy,
Or investigate ways to reduce the fan noise. Research here, others have found half speed fans, ball bearing quiet fans, etc,

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
True. Good point. There is a seal on the unit and I was trying to avoid breaking it for warranty purposes. But I’ll check

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so I ended up going with Axis. Bought their S2016 nvr server. It’s huuuge. And loud. I’m thinking not to Isengard my existing rack next to theater for these reasons. Any thoughts or suggestions about mounting in my attic. I am in south Florida and it does get very hot in there. Was going to run a fan facing it. Get a wall mount 2u, mount on board and run my cables to its poe ports.

Ideas?
Hi Wassy,

Remember humidity is also an issue.

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
I know. I’m in a pickle. I could mount somewhere in garage which is ac’d on a wall and have up cable run via conduit for security. Hmmm

Hi Wassy,

Remember humidity is also an issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Ideas?
ouch...send it back...4k plus for a Intel i5-4590S based pc? and its loud to boot? This is not meant for a home environment...

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
Right! I didn’t pay that or anywhere close. Axis today confirmed an issue with fan noise and they are working on a bios update but no ETA.

I thought an axis product would be easiest to use and compatible. Building a system didn’t really want to.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right! I didn’t pay that or anywhere close. Axis today confirmed an issue with fan noise and they are working on a bios update but no ETA.

I thought an axis product would be easiest to use and compatible. Building a system didn’t really want to.
you dont need to build anything...buy a pc..an equivalent pc to that can be had for 150 dollars or so - whisper quiet...add switches for 100-200 and you are done...the only other thing it has is the axis licenses...depending on the versions they might be worthless...with a pc you have easily replaceable parts available in a few years...with this it will cost a fortune to repair...

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
I might be open to buying or building something but as I had said in an earlier thread I really need it in a 1-2u rack space (I already have the rack and no real space for the pc that is want to put it). So to find a rack server/computer which is basically what the axis is, not sure where to begin. Switch is no issue. I use UniFi so would add a 16 or 24 port Poe switch easy enough.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I might be open to buying or building something but as I had said in an earlier thread I really need it in a 1-2u rack space (I already have the rack and no real space for the pc that is want to put it). So to find a rack server/computer which is basically what the axis is, not sure where to begin. Switch is no issue. I use UniFi so would add a 16 or 24 port Poe switch easy enough.
There are 3 types of people who NEED rack units...
1) folks who spend other peoples money
2) folks with OCD
3) folks with CDO (its the same as OCD just in alphabetical order)...

You dont need a rack mounted unit as evidenced by your willingness to put it in the attic...my point about the POE was that the unit has them built in so when calculating cost of using a pc, you need to add the cost of a switch...
if you want to waste money on a rack, you can find something like the dell r230 for 600-1000...same in pc form 100-300...

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman- like I said- I already have the rack and the current cam dvr that will be replaced.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman- like I said- I already have the rack and the current cam dvr that will be replaced.
So? what is stopping you from using a pc form factor? The rack wont get upset if you remove the DVR and dont replace it...when I said rack I meant rack mounted system as the context of the post evidences.

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m seeing r230’s for $500-700. What chip/memory do you recommend?

STGMavrick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I too have a network rack in my basement 7U 12" deep, though getting ready to swap it out for a 12U. I have ran rj45 to every room in the house to a patch panel, have an AP in the center of the house, have 24 port switch, shelf and cable modem/splitter, and just added an 8 Port unmanaged PoE switch for my camera system. Some say use desktops, but like you I'd rather my "server" be where it needs to be...out of normal traffic rooms taking up space.

I'm just getting into a camera setup (after I was already robbed) so since I already have network space that's the route I'm going. I'm swapping out my unmanaged 24 port for a managed for VLAN config, adding a rackmount UPS (current one is small as it only had to power networking equipment), and I'm going to add a rackmount blue iris system. Find a used/refurb system like everyone suggests. Then transport its guts into a rackmount chassis. There are mATX and ATX 1-4U chassis on amazon, etc. You don't need a full blown rack server.

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. Oddly enough Axis swapper my unit for a brand new one. Just as loud and has a couple issues network wise we are working on. While I don’t mind building and playing, I’d rather spend a few extra bucks and buy something ready to go. I’m about ready to just add another poe switch and buy some form of computer to run either axis camera station or blue iris or whatever.

That said, I don’t need to stay under $100 but also don’t want to spend crazy dollars do what is the best suggestions for anywhere from $500-2000 for a ready to go system plus the poe switch? Still prefer rack mount but will settle for a small desktop. Will I need an NAS as well or use th computer drives (2x4 or 6tb?). Windows 10. Intel. 16gb ram? I5 or better? Separate graphic card?)

STGMavrick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I spent 760 on my build. 8th gen i5, 8gb ram, 2x4T purple drives, win 10 pro, no dedicated graphics.

My system runs around 20% CPU, 30% ram usage, and at h.265 direct to disc recording, 24/7, 5 cams, in 7 days it's using 1.2T.

Last edited:

Wassy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. Where do you suggest I purchase a complete ready to go pc like that in rack form factor?