Random loss of video or black capture in BI not sure why

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm just testing out BI/Deepstack and trying to get it all sorted before purchasing it. As I like my NVR and will keep it as a back up, but just looking for something better and easier to search if needed. Like the clips or split every hour feature and double stream recording for low then high if triggered. Though not sure I have it set right yet. I know the home hook up guy isn't the best at knowing specs or good cameras but the setup up helped me out as well as reading a ton. My main issue right now is I get intermittent black or missing captures and not sure why or where to look for the cause. I have a Quadro P400 and I have tried it on and off and so far even with 5 cams 4mp/8mp it didn't make much difference maybe 10% like 50% to 40% usage. So I turned it off to keep for plex transcodes.

BI lost footage at times.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In many instances this is a bandwidth issue getting the feeds to the system.

Are the cameras being fed through the NVR to BI or through the router or is the BI computer and POE for the cams on the same switch?

Did you put in the IP, user, and PW and hit find/inspect to bring the cameras in?

What computer specs are you demoing it on - i number and CPU series?

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
PowerEdge R730xd

64GB Mem

Intel Xeon E5-2623 v3

Number Of Processor Packages (Physical):2
Number Of Processor Cores:8
Number Of Logical Processors:16

Network Card: Broadcom BCM5720 NetXtreme PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller x4 for BI/Internet around 20Mbps of 1k
Network Card: QLogic BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet (NDIS VBD Client) x2 for PLEX/Storage

Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro P400 2GB

Didn't know you could feed from NVR to BI. Using a cheap 100Mbps POE switch for now have a Dell Powerconect 5524 as well but waiting on a console cable to reset it as I don't have info on it.

The CPUs are split in taskman details cpu 1 for BI and cpu 2 for plex.

Did put in IP UN/PW and find after the first one as just search/find. Waited until said done.
Have bitrate/receive buffer at 15/20Mb to not have a bottleneck at full resolution.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Multi CPU systems do not run all programs effectively. There is a shared memory managing problem. Database and AI programs are specifically written to use multiple CPU. The hardware and software are very different for mulicore and mulicpu systems.

I had a multi CPU xeon system previously. I had strange problems when running BI. Also the xeon system are room heaters and are not cost effective to run. That is why they are so cheap on the used market.

Also a lot of xeon cpus do not support Quicksync. Which may help in BI processing

Last edited:

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Multi CPU systems do not run all programs effectively. There is a shared memory managing problem. Database and AI programs are specifically written to use multiple CPU. The hardware and software are very different for mulicore and mulicpu systems.

I had a multi CPU xeon system previously. I had strange problems when running BI. Also the xeon system are room heaters and are not cost effective to run. That is why they are so cheap on the used market.

Also a lot of xeon cpus do not support Quicksync. Which may help in BI processing
Ok, I just got it mainly for plex and storage and figured I would try BI. I may put it on my main pc as well and try it on there and see as it should be fine. R9 3900, 32GB, RTX 3070

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most here find the H264 results in a better image.

H265 is supposed to result in storage savings, but in reality, most do not see it. Mine was literally a few minutes difference between the two so I run H264 as I believe the quality is better. YMMV.