RasPipC - Cameras on your TV made Easy.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
that command is erroneous, as thats using ssh against github which most people wont have setup by default..

try: git clone https://github.com/SvenVD/rpisurv.git

I am making progress today, holiday weekend wont be easy to release.. Surprise visit from grandparents out of state and impromptu family get together sunday.. so dont hold your breath.

that sux @cball, what card did you have? Ive had the most luck lately with Samsung Pro series, they a bit expensive and the Pi cant use most of the speed.. but the quality is what your after and the random IO is worth the premium alone.

I hooked a relay up to my monitor so I can shut it on/off, trying to implement that into raspIPC so others can use it too.
Thanks, that worked but can't see the video stream. Need to play some more or as @cball said, wait for your release. I need to find a primer on Linux, playing around for the past 2 hours and just found the the up arrow shows last commands. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

cball

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can comfort you - my Samsung television only goes to standby with the blueray player from Samsung.
My Amazon stick and the satellite box never ever got the television to sleep - too bad, because I always fall asleep in front of the TV.
All three of them are connected with HDMI.

cball

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, that worked but can't see the video stream. Need to play some more or as @cball said, wait for your release. I need to find a primer on Linux, playing around for the past 2 hours and just found the the up arrow shows last commands. LOL
You need to edit the /etc/rpisurv/surveillance.yml and edit the cams there. Remember that rpisurv only plays rtsp Streams.
You should test the streams with a vlc player before.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to edit the /etc/rpisurv/surveillance.yml and edit the cams there. Remember that rpisurv only plays rtsp Streams.
You should test the streams with a vlc player before.
I did test with VLC and it worked fine. I'm getting other errors in the boot process and not sure what they are, (not sure because I know nothing about Linux). Maybe I'll come back to it later tonight.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I need to find a primer on Linux, playing around for the past 2 hours and just found the the up arrow shows last commands. LOL
lol, tip: tab auto-completes ;)

i do nearly all my work via command line, its why I run OSX.. full unix command line and xterminal server built in... my mouse batteries last years.. until the day I want to play a game, then it'll die within an hour.

do what @cball said, verify URL with VLC.. put the login into the path so it wont prompt you for credentials and then use that URI for rpisurv's configuration.

cball

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
lol, tip: tab auto-completes ;)
That's what I mean - it needs to be so simple, that also mouse using people can use it and never will see or need to use a command line.

Maybe @bob2701 has the sound problem I had with my cheap cams and @nayr wants to tell him where to turn sound off.

Happy Easter - here in Germany since almost two hours. Good night.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that was always the plan, thats why I announced it so early before release so I could integrate feedback from the beginning, like multilanguage.. that was not in the plan until it was suggested.

the poweroff button I dont know about yet, I dont believe the Pi actually powers off.. just shuts down, but its still energized until you pull the plug, and it dont have a power on button so I am struggling to see the point.. restart yeah, does it support WoL? I doubt it does.

the image I am making is storing most everything to ramdisk to minimize writes to flash (other than the config its mostly just logs), it'll be safe to just yank the power if you need to.. just dont yank power at same time as you apply the config or do an update, thats the only time it'll write to the flash

cball

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got it to work without using @cball suggestion. Now how do I stop it so I can make some changes. It is full screen and since I don't know Linux commands I'm stuck.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea how to stop omxplayer? I get the terminal program in the background with the video stream playing fullscreen showing one line from the terminal program on the bottom. Ctrl-C or Ctrl- Z do nothing.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nayr, I don't know why but that did not work either. The only way to stop is to shut down the cam and then the image goes away.

On a side note, I am trying to get 4 cams to show on screen but for some reason only 2 show while all four can be viewed in vlc. Something is flaky with 2 of the cam settings but they look the same. If I reverse the ip addresses I still only get the original 2 now with different addresses. I have attached an image of the screen.

pi 1.JPG

I think I will just reformat the sd card with raspbian and wait for the first release. Hope it will be soon. :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try the substreams? Ive found VBR sometimes threw off omxplayer.. try fixed bitrate

cball

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bob2701 you also have to kill the worker.py
Are you running X underneath the surveillance? This is a grafical system which is for omxplayer mit nessesary and needs rescorces. Turn the automatic start of x of.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
try the substreams? Ive found VBR sometimes threw off omxplayer.. try fixed bitrate
Where would I change it to get the substreams? This is what I have set up now.

essentials:
#These are the rtsp streams you want the program to display
#The streams will be displayed in the order you present them here
rtsp_urls:
- "rtsp://192.168.0.132:554/media/video1"
- "rtsp://192.168.0.133:554/media/video2"
- "rtsp://192.168.0.135:554/media/video3"
- "rtsp://192.168.0.136:554/media/video4"

#How many columns you want the program to use, it will autocalculate the am$
nr_of_columns: "2"

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bob2701 you also have to kill the worker.py
Are you running X underneath the surveillance? This is a grafical system which is for omxplayer mit nessesary and needs rescorces. Turn the automatic start of x of.
X underneath was only so I could get to a terminal that I could use. Normally it is as below.

IMG_3179.JPG