RE: HikVision Setup

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are finding cat6a that is not 2-3 times as much as cat6, I would question it's ability to actually meet cat6a performance standards. I would worry more about kinking a cat6a cable then sharp of bend of fiber. Fiber can be kinked and broken but is more forgiving then you may have heard. Performance issues with fiber are often bad terminations. You can also kink cat6a and cause performance issues. The bend radius of fiber is actually better than cat6a. You can even buy bend insensitive fiber, Draka-Comteq offers this. A 23awg cat6 is all I would recommend going to the cameras.

Regarding the compatibilty of fiber with cameras -

Fiber is not comptible with cameras (not the ones your looking at anyways). The fiber would be between POE switches such as the one I recommended in earlier post. Fiber between switches, copper between switches and cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi Again,
@johngalt:
Thanks for taking interest in my queries. So when you say "in between switches" do you mean I can run fiber from the NVR to the switch, or do you mean I should have two switches along one line and run fiber in between them?
If the latter, then that would mean I would need to buy 2 additional switches + fiber cable.....
My business size is that of a square box roughly 72m long x 55m wide. The NVR will start close to the center of the width of the building and run from there. So roughly My furthest camera should be about 125m -135m.
My plan was to run 8 cables each side (total 16) to a switch (2 total, one on either side of factory) at the 75M mark and then run 4 more wires to compensate for the remaining 4 or so cameras I will have to connect after the 75M mark.
What do you think?

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then you might consider just plain copper switches. At this point, my recommendations are limited because I'm not there to study your floor plan, pathways, and locations. Those are my genralized thoughts. Personally, I wouldn't use a POE NVR either for that size job. Sorry but I will not be able to be anymore specific and optimize the cost. You may consider hiring a local contractor at this point.

Reaction score
Thanks for the Reply johngalt.
As it is a large job would you think it better to use a computer with a PoE injector as opposed to the NVR?
My only concern with that is the computer will have to be on 24/7, which may cause overheating problems and/or be susceptible to viruses.
What are your thoughts on this suggestion?

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NVR is fine, I would prefer building server/PC. I would definately seperate switching and POE from NVR. I don't have experience with Hik NVRs though. I just prefer the PC because it is more scalable, more adaptable, customizable, and powerful. NVR is more plug and play. If a port goes bad in the NVR, what do you do? I just don't like putting all my eggs in one basket.

suzook

n3wb
Reaction score
I went with cat 7 with my recent install. prices there have fallen and its simply future proofing. with 4k camera on the horizon (while pricing may take some time) the extra bandwith is worth the minimal difference in price.

suzook

n3wb
Reaction score
also be aware that with 16 cameras and that NVR you are going to run out of bandwith at the NVR. I ended up getting a core I7 latest gen to handle it as the NVR could not.

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was kinda wondering about those NVR's and 16 3mp cams.

suzook

n3wb
Reaction score
I dont believe there is any NVR's out there that can handle 16 cams at full res. Maybe would have to go to a 32 channel which would get very expensive.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies guys.

I plan to have them in 1080p only, not 2048 x 1536, but I want to have a full frame rate at about 30fps for each camera.
Do you think the 16 CH NVR will be suitable for this, or should I just go with a 32CH NVR now and save myself the risk?
Also if I do decide to go with a computer, wouldn't I need a 16CH PoE injector which will add more to the cost.
What are your opinions on this?

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My thoughts here :

1°) Cat5/6/7 it's not really important here for residencial use.
each cam will use 4Mbps so no worries here. Of course cat6 is the most common and can accept 1Gb bandwith... Even with 100 cams at 4 Mbps, it's more than suitable.
So it's only costs. But if you can choice shielded cable, for external interferences, if they exist, so prefer shielded cabling.

2°) POE Embedded or not it's simple economic choice. But if the main power of the NVR fails, you will have total blackout. Using external POE, if NVR fails, you can always have the stream of the cam available on a single PC or laptop. I don't recommend POE Embedded with your NVR if you can. Again, this was made for economic issues and concentrate each camera to same point with more wires (similar to analog systems where you need a coax leg from each cam to DVR). Not very usefull if you want a distribued achitecture in your house with internet access too from anywhere.

Having external POE will be more flexible to try other recording and management systems than be linked with an unified system.

Think about future, as the life of an NVR is more or less 5/7 years, due to hardware components and new technology who will replace the actual ones...

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Hi riri7707,

Thanks for your descriptive reply.
You are saying that the NVR will last at most 5-7 years with constant use, but how long will a pc last if it has to be on all the time (that means in a hot room with the a/c off as we will not be running the a/c 24/7)?
And also if I were to buy the PC then I will have the additional expense of an External PoE switch..... If I can find a cost effective PC + PoE injector then I will go for that choice immediately.
Any ideas?

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not saying to use mandatory a PC, but more an NVR without POE Embedded.
Means POE is external to NVR
PC is useful for live monitoring or footage playback, export , that's it.

For a PC based NVR, the best is to use a Dell server like R210, cheap and robust.
But this is my personal choice ....

suzook

n3wb
Reaction score
the max bandwidth should be able to handle 1080p but I would check the specs as I believe its 200mbps. A computer, I bought two 9 port POE capable switches from amazon for about $75 each and work perfectly with my i7 computer with milestone software.

Question, are you planning to record all 16 cameras?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks again for your replies. @suzook;
Yes I plan to record all 16 cameras at 1080p.
The NVR I am getting can be seen here: Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
It says the incoming bandwith is 100Mbps and Outgoing is 240Mbps. Will this be able to record all cameras at 1080p?
@riri7707;
I am getting the NVR with 16 CH POE embedded at about $364 usd from a reputable company in China, so I figured a 16 PoE switch + a PC would be more expensive, but now I understand what you meant about the flexibility factor.
Also I will look into the Dell Server R210 thanks.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for all your great answers guys.
Okay so I've decided to go with the 32CH NVR which has Incoming Bandwith of 200Mbps and Outgoing of 160Mbps.
With that I should be able to record most of the cameras at 3MP but will be able to record all at 1080p I believe, according to Bandwidth and Storage Calculator | StarDot
Thanks for all your help guys.
Will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

suzook

n3wb
Reaction score
the 200 should suffice for 1080. Which brand did you go with?

suzook

n3wb
Reaction score
also curious, is the 200mbps incoming spread over all 32 channels or just as called for.

Reaction score
Hi,
@suzook;
The NVR only has 16 PoE ports, so I would imagine that the 200Mbps would be spread over the 16CH.
As for the cameras, this is my setup;
Cat6a Cable
DS-2CD2132F-IS = 4 Cameras @2.8mm
DS-2CD2032-I = 6 Cameras @4mm
DS-2CD2032-I = 6 Cameras @6mm
DS-77132NI-SP, 32CH NVR = 1 NVR