Reason for running two cables to each camera?

jonp

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could explain the reasoning for this tip? I'm very new to all of this and want to make sure I have all of my bases covered! I couldn't seem to find what the exact reasoning behind running two cables to each camera is.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where did you hear or read that tip? Context is essential before the best answer can be offered, IMO.

jonp

n3wb
Reaction score
IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes | IP Cam Talk

"In general, pull an extra category cable to each location where a device is planned, and leave a bit of extra slack on both ends of the cable, just in case you need to adjust placement."

I just wasn't entirely sure what the extra cable is giving you?

I figured it's maybe for future proofing in case you want to add a camera later.

jonp

n3wb
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for your response! I already have 1000 feet of cat6 sitting here :D

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Think about the following three use cases:
1) you want an additional cam to cover more field of view, or have a higher zoom for LPR (for example: LPR needs high exposure so plates "stick out", while all the rest gets blackish - you'll need a cam "other" settings to get the surroundings right)
2) you want extra lightning (eg IR illuminator) - as long as they can be fed through POE, you're already set and don't need to pull additional wiring too
3) worst case: your first cable "breaks", you can plug&play to the "backup" wire.

Hope this helps!
CC

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I've gotten into the habit of pulling a run of 18-2 CMR to each location just to supply power along with a spare, or two, of CAT. The 18-2 will hndle a couple of IR illuminators with no problems and still leaves me with a spare CAT for another camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes | IP Cam Talk

"In general, pull an extra category cable to each location where a device is planned, and leave a bit of extra slack on both ends of the cable, just in case you need to adjust placement."

I just wasn't entirely sure what the extra cable is giving you?

I figured it's maybe for future proofing in case you want to add a camera later.
HI @jonp

In addition to @catcamstar list:

1) you want an additional cam to cover more field of view, or have a higher zoom for LPR (for example: LPR needs high exposure so plates "stick out", while all the rest gets blackish - you'll need a cam "other" settings to get the surroundings right)
2) you want extra lightning (eg IR illuminator) - as long as they can be fed through POE, you're already set and don't need to pull additional wiring too
3) worst case: your first cable "breaks", you can plug&play to the "backup" wire.

4) Other IoT device, sensor, ...

TonyR is absolutely right about the cost of the cables themselves are rather low compared to the work / effort to run the lines.

I do like also awsum140's note about running a line for power, you can also use a cat6 line for that by pairing the individual wires to effectively make a larger surface area for the power to travel over.

There are some locations I will pull N+1+ lines to.. like the front door - even though I recommend only N+1 to others, as that is typically a very challenging location to pull a wire to and with all sorts of possible IoT devices, I can see wanting some options there.

Also, for the office and media center locations I try to pull at least 3+ lines to ( N+1+ )

also I really liked this youtube video on smart home cabling