Reasons to buy new NVR Hikvision

DarkSim

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I currently have the Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/P running with te latest firmware. I have 3 dome cameras and 2cubes connected.
I saw the the new DS-7608NI-E2/8P in shops and I was wonderin. What can this model do extra?
What are the differences? I know it got newer firmware and usb3.0 but what else?

Is therea reaso for me to update?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No really nothing major in the way of updates, unless using 4 series cameras.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1) DS-7608NI-SE/P is an old model. No one should be buying this any more!
2) The advantages of the newer models are minor if you already have the older model. No one should be upgrading unless giving their old NVR to friend or family.
3) Same for 3MP to 4MP, not worth the upgrade IMO.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Depends what you consider an upgrade from a 3mp to a 4mp dont think I would spend on that myself you may find you run them at 3 or even 2 anyway.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't like barrell roll pictures stay with 2mp or 3mp
4mp looks horrible imoa.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
If you are thinking about NVR upgrade -I2 is the way to go, With -E2 it was struggling with high megapixel cams at high bitrate. Aside from better performance you are not gaining much else.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree. Go with the DS-7608NI-I2 if you want the latest. It is also set up for 4MP which the others are not.

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lucky i read this. Was thinking of getting a DS-7680NI-E2

So can I get someone to have a 2nd pair of eyes. This is the one i should be ordering if I want to run 4x Turrets @ 4mp

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bmuguGw4[/QUOTE] DS-7608NI-I2/8P is roughly double the price of the DS-7608NI-E2/8P [quote="Parley, post: 105187"]I agree. Go with the DS-7608NI-I2 if you want the latest. It is also set up for 4MP which the others are not.[/QUOTE] DS-7608NI-[B]E2 [/B]can run 4x 4MP no problem at all (actually it can run 8x 4MP no problem too, especially with H264+). You're not future proofing by getting an [B]I2 [/B]either, the [B]SE[/B] (previous model) still can do 4x 4MP with the latest firmware update, in 3 to 5 years time with the money you've saved you can get the next NVR version. Recommending the I2 because it's 1) required or 2) futureproofing is bad advice and the 4MP bit totally wrong. (Guys please stop doing this because you have an I2!!!!). If you want the best available and not looking at best-value etc then get the [B]I2 [/B]yes. Edit: If you are only having 3 to 4 cameras with no plans to add more than the latest DS-7604NI-E1/4P models are perfectly adequate and even cheaper for those looking for value.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Del Boy, as usual all your recommendations is a generation behind, in other words "you don't need iPhone6, iPhone5 will do fine"... I have owned both E2 and now I2. While E2 can handle the same number of 4MP cams, I2 offers noticeable performance gain, in the web ui streams startup faster and no stutter in recordings when I set 5MP cam at 12Mbits this was enough reason for me to stick with I2. If you are claiming that E2 can do 8x 4MP cams (or now 5MP cams) at 10 Mbit bitrate lets see how it performs but somehow I doubt it can handle all that smoothly.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
"DS-7608NI-E2 can run 4x 4MP no problem at all". Sure it will run them, but will it run them at the 4MP level? The specifications say 3MP and then jump to 5MP. Same with the 8 4MP cameras. Sure it will run them but again at what bitrate? Why not just buy the newer and better model and be done with it?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Del Boy, as usual all your recommendations is a generation behind, in other words "you don't need iPhone6, iPhone5 will do fine"... I have owned both E2 and now I2. While E2 can handle the same number of 4MP cams, I2 offers noticeable performance gain, in the web ui streams startup faster and no stutter in recordings when I set 5MP cam at 12Mbits this was enough reason for me to stick with I2. If you are claiming that E2 can do 8x 4MP cams (or now 5MP cams) at 10 Mbit bitrate lets see how it performs but somehow I doubt it can handle all that smoothly.
Ah man, I'm trying to help OP out. It will run 4x 4MP no problem and you know this. You don't need to personally attack me because I disagree with your poor advice. @dcmkii is asking for an NVR for 4x 4MP cameras not 8x 5MP cameras. There is near enough no benefit spending almost twice the amount for near no gain. If poster said he wanted to connect 8x 5MP cameras would I recommend it? No! But he's not.

"DS-7608NI-E2 can run 4x 4MP no problem at all". Sure it will run them, but will it run them at the 4MP level? The specifications say 3MP and then jump to 5MP. Same with the 8 4MP cameras. Sure it will run them but again at what bitrate? Why not just buy the newer and better model and be done with it?
Yes, it will run them at 4MP level, I've already stated that. The problem is you are stating that they can't as if that is a fact. But the fact is it can and many people do run this setup with no problems. It will run them at maximum bitrate.

Why not buy the newer and better model? It's almost twice the price and there's no need. Why not go buy a Ferrari instead of a Fiat?

If you don't know that the DS-7608NI-E2 can support 4x 4MP then I'm not sure why you are telling people it can't.

Like I said, I'm just trying to help out the poster. I'll let others who actually have a similar chip in if they want to give poster advice.

f6b58d80f9bda9a43b6ee9c4698970102575ad4e2a5f0f542c2d4ff9a4db9362.jpg

Bye

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
No one said it doesn't support 4mp or 5mp, it supports it but in my experience poor performance at high bit rate in comparisonew to i2. If you didn't try and compare both your opinion is misleading others.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No one said it doesn't support 4mp or 5mp, it supports it but in my experience poor performance at high bit rate in comparisonew to i2. If you didn't try and compare both your opinion is misleading others.
I agree. Go with the DS-7608NI-I2 if you want the latest. It is also set up for 4MP which the others are not.
I2 is better of course, but one is $200 delivered, other is $375 delivered and I stand by the overkill for 4 or 5 x 4MP cameras.

Not everyone is a hobbyist and not everyone can spend time worrying about firmware or having to play with cameras before connecting them.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
There is a reason why i2 is more expensive,it has more processing power to handle higher MP count. Not everyone wants a slow performance either regardless being hobbyist or not.

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know where you guys are coming from.
For my sole purpose 4-5 cams probably E2 would be sufficient but if i reached 7-8 cams then maybe I2 would be the better option if i wanted it to be smoother and had the extra cash to throw around.

At this stage I'm a money saver but then i saw it's $50 difference between the E2 & I2 from what one of the suppliers can offer so I'll keep sleeping on it for now until I finish planning how to install it around the house.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know where you guys are coming from.
For my sole purpose 4-5 cams probably E2 would be sufficient but if i reached 7-8 cams then maybe I2 would be the better option if i wanted it to be smoother and had the extra cash to throw around.

At this stage I'm a money saver but then i saw it's $50 difference between the E2 & I2 from what one of the suppliers can offer so I'll keep sleeping on it for now until I finish planning how to install it around the house.
What's the link with for the supplier?