Recomendations for low budget camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
True. I think I saw Elvis at a gas station yesterday.

Please!

Anyway, this is not about better it's about price-points and supported functions and people making informed decisions based on facts and not bias, conjecture or speculation.

Don
Foscam is no good at any price point unless that price is FREE.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
True. I think I saw Elvis at a gas station yesterday. NOT!

Please!

Anyway, this is not about better. Nor has it ever been about better. It's about price-points and supported functions and people making informed decisions based on facts and not bias, conjecture or speculation.

I can't "undo" any hard feelings you had or anyone else that has or had those same feelings about Foscam years ago or be an after the fact "Life Coach" on how or what you should have done to resolve any issues you had with them, in the past. I can only focus on today and the future and the current facts.

Don
You need to stop editing your posts and create a new one when you have a new thought.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

Any suggestions on what the next wining lotto numbers will be. I mean. Please don't waste the all and knowing "Expertise" you seem to have been blessed with. No reason to hold back now. We could all benefit from that, right?

Don
You methodical editing of posts borders on psychotic. It is not just a single edit...you go back and reedit over and over again..wow.

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
War is not about who's right, it is about who is left.
Blackberry Brandy anyone?

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm looking for two types of camera recommendations.
1) Very simple solution that can email an photo taken in dark when movement is detected
From what I read arround the web the camera-of-the-year is Foscam FI9821W and DropCam but all reviews look biased (and camera apperture looks too high?)

2) An more complete solution that is capable of filming in the woods. I don't mind to install something like tri-illuminator low cost ir illuminator

Thank you all!
I also saw in popular science a couple days ago Foscam getting a full page. Kind of disappointed. I know I wouldn't buy one again. Approx the same price buys cameras far more capable with better hardware and software.

Dropcam is actually a decent camera (HD or PRO; I'd opt for pro given the choice). It costs money to maintain the recording, is only wifi (newbies think that sounds good, but generally it isn't that great), is only rated for indoors, but it's a reliable camera. It's crazy easy to setup and literally your Grandma could set it up. With that, it's not quite in the same category as most cameras people have here. Its simplicity also pigeon holes it. You're stuck with Dropcam's software all the time no matter what and it's a very tightly controlled software package. I got away from Dropcam in part because of the price, in part because I didn't like where the company has gone since the Nest acquisition, and in part because I could get better quality from cheaper cams. But Dropcam is totally honest with how easy they are to use: they really are. Nobody here will recommend you anything that gets you up and running faster because Dropcam is truly the simplest to use. I haven't seen any indication the amazon reviews for Dropcam are dishonest. I have for Foscam. I understand Foscam recommends people to go and post a positive review after they have had a good customer support experience (I read that in review comments). I think that's dishonest.

Don't get caught up on PTZ on an entry cam. Some cameras will use that to mask the fact that their field of view is bad. Their FOV is bad because if they widen it their lack of resolution and image quality would be too obvious. My 2.8 mm hikvision 3 MP camera has a 90 degree field of view and the entire field looks better than any Foscam I've seen, and it requires no moving parts, so it's covering that area 24/7, not just when it's looking at a particular area.

Last edited by a moderator:

MIPS64

n3wb
Reaction score
We've been very happy with our Foscam FI8910W's at work. I know there are a lot better cameras out there (in terms of video quality, build quality and support) but they have served us quite well for the price over the past two years. We did try the outdoor model FI8905W on WiFi and they did not hold up well so I don't recommend those.

I unfortunately have to work in a place where we have to review footage weekly with authorities. They are pleased with the ease of use through Blue Iris and the quality of the picture provided. Would I love to try out a Hikvision? Absolutely. But as long as the police keep saying our video quality is already better than the banks I'm having a hard time convincing management to let me buy one.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But as long as the police keep saying our video quality is already better than the banks I'm having a hard time convincing management to let me buy one.
Scary, that. Speaking of which, let me know which banks they are referring to, please *evil grin*. I see monstrous cameras at most businesses and assume their image quality is pretty poor because of how old they are, but if they keep working they don't bother upgrading.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Scary, that. Speaking of which, let me know which banks they are referring to, please *evil grin*. I see monstrous cameras at most businesses and assume their image quality is pretty poor because of how old they are, but if they keep working they don't bother upgrading.
This is very true...even many large stores like walmart or shoprite have crap footage at 5fps...i see it every day...total crap..they are using really old systems....

MIPS64

n3wb
Reaction score
We are a smaller City in our state but we do have branches to all the major banks and a couple of credit unions. I have no idea which banks they are referring to. They did say that convenience stores such as Circle K and QT have the best quality footage they have seen in town so far though. Ours is good enough to lead to conviction so they are satisfied with ours.