Recomendations for low budget camera?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Enough already you 2. Timeout please. Step back.
Open and frank discussion is one thing, this has deteriorated into something else.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know most folks dislike foscam - and they do have their issues - but for a $70 camera it's not bad. I have 7 of the FI8910W's and, although it's an indoor camera, I have them mounted under the eves of my house using cat 5e to a gigabit switch. I've been successfully using them in this capacity for over two years. I have had one camera bite the dust thus far. I have them set up using Blue Iris 4 - they work well for my situation at this point, but your mileage may vary. Having said all of that, eventually I plan on moving to the HIKVISION (as detailed by @fenderman) - even though they aren't pan/tilt/zoom, they have a much better picture. I will convert to Power over Ethernet (PoE) to support the HIKVISIONs as well.

The point of all of this is to say that I am not unhappy with FOSCAM and they have served me well for my first foray into home surveillance. As I have gained a lot of knowledge since I started (most from this forum :cool: ) I do plan on phasing the FOSCAMs out eventually, but I'm in no big hurry.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know most folks dislike foscam - and they do have their issues - but for a $70 camera it's not bad. I have 7 of the FI8910W's and, although it's an indoor camera, I have them mounted under the eves of my house using cat 5e to a gigabit switch. I've been successfully using them in this capacity for over two years. I have had one camera bite the dust thus far. I have them set up using Blue Iris 4 - they work well for my situation at this point, but your mileage may vary. Having said all of that, eventually I plan on moving to the HIKVISION (as detailed by @fenderman) - even though they aren't pan/tilt/zoom, they have a much better picture. I will convert to Power over Ethernet (PoE) to support the HIKVISIONs as well.

The point of all of this is to say that I am not unhappy with FOSCAM and they have served me well for my first foray into home surveillance. As I have gained a lot of knowledge since I started (most from this forum :cool: ) I do plan on phasing the FOSCAMs out eventually, but I'm in no big hurry.
You make a great point in that when the are wired they are more or less stable, despite the poor picture quality. That said, for a new users, my recommendation is to stay away from Foscam and start with a good camera. I wish someone would have warned me before i wasted money on mine...The problem is that other forums were deleting negative Foscam reviews...and banning members who brought up foscam issues. That will never happen here, whether its a negative review of foscam, hikvision, dahua or whatever...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget ALL the text! Stop "Cherry Picking" what you refuse to admit felderman! Please "Read" the entire response.

I never said these IP Cameras are the perfect cameras. But, I do and can also read entire responses, in their entirety, as well.

Don
Missed the point again...
1) Eyeball is using them wired...while you keep touting wifi.
2) Eyeball is moving over to hikvision.
3) For a new user who now has the OPTION to buy a better camera for more or less the same cost without the need to upgrade in the future and added performance and reliability of hikvision then Foscam is a TERRIBLE choice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I missed nothing. My point is that IP Cameras can be purchased at price-points based on individual needs. Which can include ("God forbid") PTZ and wireless capabilities. Nothing got lost! At least on my part, anyway.

It's not important if/when you use them. It's the point that they are present to be used. If needed/required at a reasonable price-point.

Don
The end user needs to understand that for 70 dollars they are getting complete junk... a VGA mpeg camera with low resolution and a narrow field of view.
For outdoor use a dahua 1.3mp camera can be had for 66 dollars http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Dahua-1-3Mp-support-POE-CMOS-HD-Network-Water-proof-IR-Mini-Network-Bullet/1585786418.html
For 82 dollars, a hikvision DS-2CD3Q10FD-IW 720p ptz indoor camera is available...So for 17 extra dollars, an SD CARD SLOT (not on that foscam you mentioned) you get WAY better resolution, a PIR sensor, and hikvision quality. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-ip-camera-DS-2CD3Q10FD-IW-720p-1MP-PTZ-wifi-ONVIF-SD-Alarm-Wireless-Built-in/32249781107.html
For someone doesnt want to pay the "high" 82 dollars there is a hoo-too available for 73 no sd card or pir though... but its HD.
http://www.amazon.com/HooToo®-HT-IP211HDP-Megapixel-Wireless-Camera/dp/B00MUMN20Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419898468&sr=8-1&keywords=hootoo++hd
So yeah...that 70 dollar foscam makes ZERO sense...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just showed you that for 4 dollars more the end user can get an hd cam....with you "technology forward" wifi and ptz....the end user should understand that it makes zero sense to buy the foscam. You do have a bias. Anyone who can recommend a foscam with a straight face has a bias.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You make a great point in that when the are wired they are more or less stable, despite the poor picture quality. That said, for a new users, my recommendation is to stay away from Foscam and start with a good camera. I wish someone would have warned me before i wasted money on mine...The problem is that other forums were deleting negative Foscam reviews...and banning members who brought up foscam issues. That will never happen here, whether its a negative review of foscam, hikvision, dahua or whatever...
Me too!! I wasted my money on Empire cams. Now I know better and only install Hikvision! Sad thing is, I'm so busy installing for customers, I haven't upgraded my own crap.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's try approaching this logically for once.

1. What SoC chip is being used inside that camera?
2. Specifications for that camera.
3. Warranty for that camera.

The Hi3518a SoC, is used for the FI9821W V2: http://www.hisilicon.com/engdownload/digital/20130509/Hi3515A/Hi3515A Databrief.rar

Here are the specifications and warranty for the FI9821W V2. Please click on the specifications tab for more details once there:

http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi9821w-megapixel-wireless-ip-camera.html

Don
Warranty? Ha. Foscam left all 21w the V1 users holding the proverbial bag. The hootoo has a 1 year warranty as well.
Why are you comparing the hootoo to the 21w and not to the FI8910W which is in the same price range and the camera you initially mentioned.. I dont know what processor is in the hootoo, it may even be better than the foscam. Regardless, the chip is not be all and end all of how the camera will operate.
Why dont you compare the 21w with the hikvision.
Online user manual
http://www.hootoo.com/downloads-HT-IP211HDP.html
Please note that i am in no way recommending the hootoo. The hikvision is a MUCH better option than the foscam or Hootoo.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don, we understand that you stand behind the Foscam product. The truth of the matter is this. For an additional let's say 10-20.00 right, the customer can get a camera that's 2x's better than Foscam so why tell them to purchase a lesser quality product! For us here whom this is a lively hood it just doesn't make any sense.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I guess it's ASKING "Too Much" to ask for equal?

Talk is cheap. Unless. It's "Your Money".

Don
You should be comparing the 21w to the cheaper and better hikvision..but i will play along.
1) the processor used is not indicative of performance. Foscam does not mention the processor in the unit. You have that information because you work with them-volunteer or not, or you took it apart. For all we know the hootoo has the same processor or better. The hikvision I assure you performs better in every way than the foscam.
2) The specifications are in the hootoo user manual http://www.hootoo.com/downloads-HT-IP211HDP.html
3) Warranty, HAAAA, Foscam left owners of v1 and the 9820 holding the bag. Read more on the foscam forum
http://foscam.us/forum/fi9821w-version2-much-better-t6338.html That said the hootoo has the SAME 1 year warranty.
4) The hootoo with shipping is cheaper. The HIKVISION with a PIR sensor and HIKVISION reliability is cheaper!
5) http://www.hootoo.com/downloads-HT-IP211HDP.html
6) The fact that YOU personally created a live demo, does not make foscam a better camera, that is total nonsense.

I simply dont know how you sleep at night suggesting folks dump their hard earned cash on this garbage.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think anyone here besides you will recommend a Foscam on this forum.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. Small Font and no clickable links. Hmmm, why didn't I think about doing same?

Don
Thats your response? no clickable links...dont be lazy and copy paste if you want to see it. IF you want to respond to this message, dont edit your other responses...post an new message.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dude you really need to stop editing your posts 5-10 times long after they are posted. This constant editing is not keeping a proper dialogue....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For the record the small font does not appear small in my chrome browser, its actually larger than the rest...Ill figure out why later....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. Smaller Font ("Than normal") and no clickable links. Hmmm, why didn't I think about doing same?

Oh, now I remember! Because I had important facts to present and wanted others here to be able to decide on their own what works for them and does not.

Don
Yes the others can go to the foscam forum and read about foscam leaving the 9820 and 9821v1 owners holding the bag.....out readers are intelligent enough to copy and paste my link.....
They can go read the amazon reviews (and make note of the fake ones)...
Dude you really need to stop editing your posts 5-10 times long after they are posted. This constant editing is not keeping a proper dialogue....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My response is. Present Facts, not conjecture and speculation.

Don
Mine as well. Aside from not knowing what processors is in the hootoo..everything else holds true...the processor is but one component in a good camera...if it was that important foscam would list it on their website.
You are missing the point..i do not recommend the hootoo...my recommendation is the hikvision...and in my experience they have put out exceptional products..we know for a FACT that foscam puts out garbage and does not stand behind their products...THAT IS FACT.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to have missed the live demo for this camera. Please make it a clickable link for me and other to compare.

Don
Once again, the fact that YOU on your own created a live demo of the camera does not IN ANY WAY make it better camera or more worthy for purchase. By that logic the foscam is better that an 3000 bosch or axis camera...get real.
I would take a hikvision or dahua sight unseen over foscam any day...those companies are known to push good product.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will not make my links clickable...if you want to see it just copy and paste...if you are not sure how then google it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While I did provide a method produced by me to view the camera from any Internet browser capable device. Foscam provides the other method. Which I also provided a link for.

But. nice try.

Don
Even if foscam does provide a link that does not make it a better camera in ANY way....quite frankly we dont even know what camera is on the other side and whether it was modified or not...but regardless, assuming is a regular 21w that does not make the camera better.