Recommendation for outdoor lamp post mounted netcam?

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for a recommendation for network camera that I can mount on a flat vertical surface, like a lamp post, that will be focused on the front of my house. It would have to be a POE outdoor camera so I can avoid local ordinances on burying high voltage electrical cable under my lawn. It does not have to be PTZ. I think it should be POE/wired instead of wifi. Kill two birds with one stone. I'd most likely mount a solar powered lamp on top of the post so it distracts from the camera.

I'd like to camouflage the camera as much as possible so vandals won't see it. I was considering a hollowed out fence post. My buddy said there was some sort of composite fence post that is hollow and could be painted and sunk into the ground without worry of rot. I'm exploring that idea, too.

If the post is the size he says, I should have about a 4x4 area inside the post, be able to create a platform to hold the camera, and cut a hole for the camera lense. I've been through the wringer with IR capable cams indoors behind windows and indoor cams outside behind lenses, so I really don't want to put the camera completely inside the post, then have to put a lense on it to protect it from the elements.

I'm also not averse to a bullet cam either. The basic specs are: small enough to fit inside the post without jutting out too far, has IR, is outdoor rated, and is POE.

Does anyone know of any good models that I could do this with?

Thanks for your help!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Hikvision DS-2CD2512F-I is a mini dome, with a case about a 4 inches square. Maybe too large for you. The bullet (DS-2CD2032-I) might be better, though it would stick out an inch or two. There are lots of choices really. Just look up Hikvision or Dahua and look at their available camera models. It would be hard to find a bad camera from either of them, and most are rated for outdoor use with PoE support.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. As I google around for cameras and posts my plan is reforming ... The camera you suggest looks like it will flush mount on the post but might stick out and be a little too noticable especially since it it is white and the post will most likely be black.

I am currently looking at a Dahua IPC-HFW3200S but I really can't figure out the dimensions of the camera with, or without the mounting bracket, and whether or not I could put it inside a 4x4" box. Can someone that has one of these cameras measure it and post it's dimensions? Thanks very much.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update ... I have learned that "Trex" makes a hollow composite deck post and has one in charcoal (don't call it "black" with the chat person or she gets snotty). It looks like they make a post that is 6"x6"x108". This might work if I can find one.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep. Heading to Lowes this morning to get the actual inside dimensions of the post and look for solar lamps to put on top. Then I'll probably take a chance and order the best camera, that is the smallest, and hope it fits.

nini24

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep. Heading to Lowes this morning to get the actual inside dimensions of the post and look for solar lamps to put on top. Then I'll probably take a chance and order the best camera, that is the smallest, and hope it fits.
Hi, I liked your idea of using lamp post for security camera setup, I have been looking to have something like that in my front yard. How did your lamp post camera work out? do you care to share?maybe a picture? thanks

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another idea is to put either a real or dummy cam to be very obvious elsewhere to detract attention yet capture face while they check that out - ie criss cross coverage.

I am great advocate of a mix of hidden (eye level) and visible deterrant cameras.