Recommendations for a reliable NVR

kevinvinv

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a basic Amcrest NVR. I record about 5 camera's to it.

Basically it sucks.

1) . The time is always off and when I go back to look at a recording... is is super clunky and again- time is always off... can't get it fixed even with support
2). It has got increasingly difficult to connect to this thing with a web browser (local). It looks like the plug-ins necessary to use it don't work too well with browsers on a mac

I am not wanting a new hobby- just a system that works reliably .--- ha ha... I know ... there are probalby none of these... but...

Anyone care to recommend a good solution?

I take it that BI is the best thing going but I'd rather not buy another box and have something running windows just waiting to crash.

Are there any good stand alone NVR boxes that actually work well?

Thoughts? Thanks all.. and Happy Thanksgiving!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I take it that BI is the best thing going but I'd rather not buy another box and have something running windows just waiting to crash.
Windows is very stable, just as stable as a linux based nvr. I have over 20 blue iris machines running no issues. Windows crashes are a result of users and manufactures loading all sorts of crap. Clean install w10 from the media creation tool

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My Dahua 5216-4ks2 nvr has been very reliable in terms of uptime and making connections to it. I'm using older firmware that requires a browser plugin, so I realize this info might not be of much use to you with the Mac.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) . The time is always off and when I go back to look at a recording... is is super clunky and again- time is always off... can't get it fixed even with support
2). It has got increasingly difficult to connect to this thing with a web browser (local). It looks like the plug-ins necessary to use it don't work too well with browsers on a mac
.. and Happy Thanksgiving!!
Hi and welcome @kevininv

which Amcrest NVR model do you have? and what has tech support recommended to fix the timing issue?

iirc most of the Amcrest NVRs are Dahua OEM lite models. ( NVR4xxx ) I've not experienced time issues with my Dahua OEM nvr ( NVR52xx ). Are you getting power outages? If so, then replace the onboard battery ( typical issue on many motherboards when the battery dies - the time is off when you restart the PC.. could be an issue on the NVR... )

Otherwise - the web browser issue you note is a typical issue. Web browsers are getting updated to counter security vulnerabilities and at lot of the code for streams were written which need the functionality of a less secure browser. Also as Mac are not as big of a market segment - they get less focus for developers.

I believe you can find a better NVR model - maybe your NVR just has a time issue, however I do not see that resolving the browser and mac related issues.

Happy Thanksgiving.

kevinvinv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi and welcome @kevininv

which Amcrest NVR model do you have? and what has tech support recommended to fix the timing issue?

iirc most of the Amcrest NVRs are Dahua OEM lite models. ( NVR4xxx ) I've not experienced time issues with my Dahua OEM nvr ( NVR52xx ). Are you getting power outages? If so, then replace the onboard battery ( typical issue on many motherboards when the battery dies - the time is off when you restart the PC.. could be an issue on the NVR... )

Otherwise - the web browser issue you note is a typical issue. Web browsers are getting updated to counter security vulnerabilities and at lot of the code for streams were written which need the functionality of a less secure browser. Also as Mac are not as big of a market segment - they get less focus for developers.

I believe you can find a better NVR model - maybe your NVR just has a time issue, however I do not see that resolving the browser and mac related issues.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Hi and thanks for your response!
I have the Amcrest NV4108-HS 4K and so far the biggest problem is the browser plug-in issue. I got a new computer and can't get to see any video from the NVR yet. Support is just asking me to fill out forms etc... I am unsure if it is worth the work b/c even when I do get it going again-- I still have the time issue and the clunky interface etc... Thanks for your input!!!!

kevinvinv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi and welcome @kevininv

Happy Thanksgiving.
Thanks for the input! The time on the box actually is set ok but what happens is that when viewing a recording... if I click 8pm in the little progress bar it actually shows video from 9pm. There is like an hour offset between the little time bar and the actual video. I can't seem to find a time zone or other setting to fix it . :( . Thanks again!!!

kevinvinv

n3wb
Reaction score
I have BI 5 running 24/7 under Windows 10 Pro on a 16GB RAM 4th Gen Intel Core i7 Desktop PC which has a lot of other things including Android, Microsoft, Arduino, etc SDKs, Hyper-V VM, Oracle Express Development Database Server, (and too many others to list here), etc.

Other than the occasional Windows Updates that require a reboot (which I determine/control), the PC *DOES NOT* crash.

Sent using Tapatalk
Admittedly I need to do some research on BI> . May I ask you this? Can BI be run "headless" in such a way that I can connect to it through a web browser from another computer in the same network? I don't want to have a keyboard and monitor etc directly connected to the BI box should I go that way... is that possible do you know?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the Amcrest NV4108-HS 4K and so far the biggest problem is the browser plug-in issue. I got a new computer and can't get to see any video from the NVR yet. ...
Hi Kevein

Look for Dahua SmartPSS for the PC...

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the Amcrest NV4108-HS 4K and so far the biggest problem is the browser plug-in issue. I got a new computer and can't get to see any video from the NVR yet. Support is just asking me to fill out forms etc... I am unsure if it is worth the work b/c even when I do get it going again-- I still have the time issue and the clunky interface etc... Thanks for your input!!!!
I solved my problem with browser plug-in issue. I use Seamonkey portable browser. I keep it on a thumb drive that is attached tn my key ring, that way I can be at any computer anywhere and check on my cameras. The portable app is self contained and doesn't install any software, and once done, the software is removed from memory.

kevinvinv

n3wb
Reaction score
I solved my problem with browser plug-in issue. I use Seamonkey portable browser. I keep it on a thumb drive that is attached tn my key ring, that way I can be at any computer anywhere and check on my cameras. The portable app is self contained and doesn't install any software, and once done, the software is removed from memory.

I did try SeaMonkey but it still seemed to ask for a plug in and I couldnt get it to continue... did you install some sort of plugin with SeaMonkey?

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did try SeaMonkey but it still seemed to ask for a plug in and I couldnt get it to continue... did you install some sort of plugin with SeaMonkey?
I am using on my desktop Seamonkey the latest 2.49.4 without any plugins. And the Portable version I mention doesn't require any plugins.

kevinvinv

n3wb
Reaction score
I managed to get the Amcrest Surveilance Pro application to work ok on my mac... I think I can use this to connect to the Amcrest NVR instead of using a browser.

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll be the odd man out here and recommend a Hikvision NVR. The I-series is very good, has frequent firmware updates to add features/fix bugs, and with a little seat time is easy to understand.

kevinvinv

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll be the odd man out here and recommend a Hikvision NVR. The I-series is very good, has frequent firmware updates to add features/fix bugs, and with a little seat time is easy to understand.

Glad to hear that! I doubt I will ever get another Amcrest model. For example... it wont recognize a keyboard, only a mouse... so you have to mouse in all the text. Very irritating but would be tolerable if the other issues did not exist... with the sum total of all the issues... I am probably done with them. I am intrigued by Zone Minder since it runs on Linux and a guy at work is happy with his install. Also intriguted by BI and how your HikVision... especially since a few of my camera's are Hiks . Thanks.

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No problem. I know the consensus is to go with BI, and I very well may do that in the not too distant future. But for me, a beginner, setting up and maintaining an NVR was a good start. I have a lot more learning to do before tackling a switch to BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. I know the consensus is to go with BI, and I very well may do that in the not too distant future. But for me, a beginner, setting up and maintaining an NVR was a good start. I have a lot more learning to do before tackling a switch to BI.
Blue iris is no more difficult to setup than an nvr and in some ways easier.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Until the model is EOL'ed after two years or so.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Admittedly I need to do some research on BI> . May I ask you this? Can BI be run "headless" in such a way that I can connect to it through a web browser from another computer in the same network? I don't want to have a keyboard and monitor etc directly connected to the BI box should I go that way... is that possible do you know?
Sure. I used a keyboard/mouse/monitor to get my BI system built. Since then it's been in a closet with just a power cord and network cable.

My biggest gripe with NVR is motion detection. Most NVRs can't do their own motion detection... they don't have powerful enough processors, so they rely on each camera to do its own motion detection and let the NVR know if anything happens. So if you have a few different models of cameras, it means your motion detection capabilities may be different per camera . Additionally, Dahua and Hikvision cameras usually have a second (and better) type of motion detection called IVS (Dahua) or Smart Events (Hik). This type of motion detection usually has much fewer false alerts because you can setup things like like tripwires, intrusion zones, parking detection, object missing, fast moving object, etc. With Dahua/Hik's latest 'AI' cameras, you can usually tick an option in IVS/Smart Events that limits alerts to only when the camera has detected a person and/or vehicles. This is all great stuff, but to use IVS/Smart Events the brand of the NVR almost always has to match the brand of the camera. So if you have a Dahua NVR and mostly Dahua cameras, then decide you want to add a new Hikvision AI camera down the road, you likely won't be able to use the better motion detection built into that Hikvision camera. Same with a Hik NVR and Dahua cameras. I find that frustratingly limiting, but I realize many people don't mess much with their camera setup after doing the install so maybe it's not as big of a deal.

Blue Iris is pretty much camera brand agnostic and it can do its own motion detection. You still have the option to use the camera's built-in motion detection with Blue Iris if you want (which I currently do with my newer 'AI' cameras).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a basic Amcrest NVR. I record about 5 camera's to it.

Basically it sucks.

I am not wanting a new hobby- just a system that works reliably .--- ha ha... I know ... there are probalby none of these... but...

Anyone care to recommend a good solution?

Are there any good stand alone NVR boxes that actually work well?

Thoughts? Thanks all.. and Happy Thanksgiving!!
To answer your question........a dell SFF with Blue Iris. It beats the snot out of an NVR.