Recommendations for pulling CAT6e wires in an existing home.. DIY or hire someone?

le0pard

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two 1000' rolls of CAT6e cable that I purchased online and I am looking to get this CAT6e to all of my rooms and living areas in my home for both an IP camera (somewhere near the ceiling) as well as a box at normal floor level for other devices. So, this would be 2 cable runs leading to 2 separate Ethernet boxes per room.

I have a main floor as well as an upstairs.
There is an accessible attic and an accessible crawl space.

Where I would like to run the cable to:
  1. Upstairs there are 4 bedrooms as well as an IP camera near the top of the stairs (pointing at the front door).
  2. On the main floor, there is 1 bedroom and 2 "living areas" as well as in the garage.
  3. I would also like to have a few runs (4) outside of the home to the roof overhangs (to cover the perimeter @ each corner?)

I know this might be a bit excessive to have the option of an IP camera in all of these locations, but I figure if I am going to have the house wired for Ethernet, then I might as well get it everywhere I can think of.

My questions are:
  • Is this the type of job a homeowner can do with relative ease?
  • Should I instead hire someone to do this for me?
    • I emailed an "electrician" on Craigslist and was quoted at $45/hr plus materials. I have no idea if this is a fair price or not.
  • If I do hire someone, is it OK to get any electrician from Craigslist, or should I reach out to a more professional establishment (ie: an Electrician from a local business, license, bonded and insured)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Recommendations for pulling CAT6e wires in an existing home.. DIY or hire someone

@le0pard $45 is a good rate...the problem is they are uninsured which may cause all sorts of headaches if he causes damage or injures himself on your property..., there is a reason he's advertising on craigslist. Get some recommendations from folks you know. You want someone experienced in pulling long runs, think low voltage installers like telephone systems, hardwired alarm etc. Be specific about how you want cable run, in walls etc...Make sure you are present when the lines are run..you dont want to come home to a complete mess.
If you are handy, you can do this...it wont be easy :)...
Finally and most importantly, make sure he cable you purchased it quality copper cable not junk copper clad aluminium (CCA) and solid not stranded. There is nothing worse than using bad cable then trying to diagnose a fault.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Recommendations for pulling CAT6e wires in an existing home.. DIY or hire someone

Pulling ethernet cable can be a dirty job and a major pain in the ass. If you can afford it...pay a pro to do it...but confirm all cable is viable before the installer leaves.

le0pard

n3wb
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!
@fenderman: I have a question about the cable that I purchased... I purchased one of each of these a long time ago and thought I could use it for the wiring:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812422270
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812422263

So far I have made a ~50' cable to go from the router to the baby's room and even using PoE for my camera it seems to be working fine. Is there any reason this won't work? Or are you just saying that there tend to be more problems with it?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!
@fenderman: I have a question about the cable that I purchased... I purchased one of each of these a long time ago and thought I could use it for the wiring:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812422270
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812422263

So far I have made a ~50' cable to go from the router to the baby's room and even using PoE for my camera it seems to be working fine. Is there any reason this won't work? Or are you just saying that there tend to be more problems with it?
Stranded cable is not ideal for very long runs..you also have to ensure that you use the proper connectors for stranded....solid cables conduct better. There is no reason to mess around since you can get 1000f for 100 dollars at monoprice....

mahockey

n3wb
Reaction score

TIP:

always always always run more than you need - even if it means leaving some cables not terminated in the walls etc.

You're not going to be doing this again in a hurry, and you will be surprised how many you will need over time.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

TIP:

always always always run more than you need - even if it means leaving some cables not terminated in the walls etc.

You're not going to be doing this again in a hurry, and you will be surprised how many you will need over time.
totally agree, even when you think you've ran plenty, you need more! I try and make sure its easy to pull more later, and in the hard spots will pull a rope in with the cable so next time its super easy to pull another through.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Where are you located OP

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

I'm going through the same thing. Fortunately it's new construction...

I'm having a 3-level vacation home built in TN. It's dried-in (roof and walls), but no insulation or drywall yet. I'm heading up next week (from FL) with 3000' of pure copper (monoprice on Amazon) cat 6 that I'll be stringing in every wall. In fact, I'm going to run a line to every wall of every room. It's overkill, and I'll likely only use 1/4 of it, but since there will be no attic or crawl space, and the insulation is blown in tight, adding lines after the drywall is up will be virtually impossible.

Cat 6 runs are like horsepower. You'll never hear anyone complain they have too much.

ibuyufo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I'm thinking you should invest in some flexible conduits so if you need to change the cable later, you can just use a fish tape to pull the wire(s).

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Considered that. I think my biggest problem is trying to figure out where the 'big' items will end up... The HTPC, the TVs, PCs, and so on. Ultimately, they'll be right where I don't have any cable or conduit. Short of dropping conduit between every stud, I think I just have to hope I guessed right.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

...license, bonded and insured)...
This is a pet peeve of mine: anyone, from any trade, who tells a consumer (a consumer who is not a large business or government entity putting a contact out to bid) that they are "bonded" is most likely telling porkies.

So what good does using a "Bonded" contractor do for the consumer?

Perhaps the answer is "probably nothing." In fact, I suspect that many companies who claim to be bonded don't actually know what bonding entails and may well not even be bonded.

In my opinion, "licensed, bonded and insured" remains a catch phrase often used by marginal service providers; a catch phrase designed to press a hot button with the consumer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

This is a pet peeve of mine: anyone, from any trade, who tells a consumer (a consumer who is not a large business or government entity putting a contact out to bid) that they are "bonded" is most likely telling porkies.

Perhaps the answer is "probably nothing." In fact, I suspect that many companies who claim to be bonded don't actually know what bonding entails and may well not even be bonded.

In my opinion, "licensed, bonded and insured" remains a catch phrase often used by marginal service providers; a catch phrase designed to press a hot button with the consumer.
I always ask for the paperwork for any contractor doing work serious work like roofing or a large improvement jobs. They will provide it and I call to verify. Running cable presents the possibility of an idiot drilling into water lines, electrical lines or seriously injuring themselves. This would be a catastrophe and a huge headache.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I always ask for the paperwork for any contractor doing work serious work like roofing or a large improvement jobs. They will provide it and I call to verify. Running cable presents the possibility of an idiot drilling into water lines, electrical lines or seriously injuring themselves. This would be a catastrophe and a huge headache.
I agree. IMO, consumers should always ask prospective contractors to produce "proof of insurance" which consists of a printed "certificate of insurance" proving liability insurance and workers compensation insurance.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Huh? As a contractor in business over 25 years, I can tell you 'bonded' is a requirement for licensure here in Cali, and can be more comprehensive in claims than simple insurance: surety companies will cover additional expenses such as unpaid subs, supply bills, property damage and project abandonment. You do yourself a disservice to hire someone who is not 'licensed, bonded and insured'. That said, I don't advertise it (or anything for that matter, not even in the phone book), but it all is included in my bids, as well as contracts. When a client reviews bids, I want them to have resources to verify...'transparency' as they say.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Huh? As a contractor in business over 25 years, I can tell you 'bonded' is a requirement for licensure here in Cali, and can be more comprehensive in claims than simple insurance: surety companies will cover additional expenses such as unpaid subs, supply bills, property damage and project abandonment. You do yourself a disservice to hire someone who is not 'licensed, bonded and insured'. That said, I don't advertise it (or anything for that matter, not even in the phone book), but it all is included in my bids, as well as contracts. When a client reviews bids, I want them to have resources to verify...'transparency' as they say.
As I understand it, a bond (sometimes referred to as a surety bond) is a third party's obligation promising to pay a penalty if a vendor does not fulfill its contractual obligations. There are various types of bonds such as a License Bond, Performance Bond, Bid Bond, Indemnity Bond, or a Payment Bond. A bond is a financial guarantee that you will honor a business contract. Frequently companies which bid on contracts are required be bonded...

• A PERFORMANCE BOND is a guarantee that you will perform work in accordance with the terms of a contract.
  • A BID BOND is a guarantee you will perform work if the bid is won by you.
  • An INDEMNITY BOND promises to reimburse loss incurred if you fail to perform or if you fail to pay other vendors in the performance of the contact.
  • A LICENSE BOND is required by some states for certain businesses. In some cases you pay the state directly rather than obtaining a bond.
  • A PAYMENT BOND promises you will pay all subcontractors and material providers utilized in the performance of a contract.

However -- in my line or work -- consumers constantly ask myself (and my competitors) if we are bonded. My business is not bonded, but many of my competitors tell prospective customers that they are bonded because this is what the consumer wants to hear, when in fact they are not bonded and any such bonding is irrelevant to the business we conduct, unless we bid on a government or commercial contract (which we do not). And this is why I say: In my opinion, "licensed, bonded and insured" is a catch phrase often used by marginal service providers; a catch phrase designed to press a hot button with the consumer.

As you point out this is not the case in all states and in all types of industry...but in my industry, and in my state, I stand by what I wrote.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

As I understand it, a bond (sometimes referred to as a surety bond) is a third party's obligation promising to pay a penalty if a vendor does not fulfill its contractual obligations. There are various types of bonds such as a License Bond, Performance Bond, Bid Bond, Indemnity Bond, or a Payment Bond. A bond is a financial guarantee that you will honor a business contract. Frequently companies which bid on contracts are required be bonded...

• A PERFORMANCE BOND is a guarantee that you will perform work in accordance with the terms of a contract.
  • A BID BOND is a guarantee you will perform work if the bid is won by you.
  • An INDEMNITY BOND promises to reimburse loss incurred if you fail to perform or if you fail to pay other vendors in the performance of the contact.
  • A LICENSE BOND is required by some states for certain businesses. In some cases you pay the state directly rather than obtaining a bond.
  • A PAYMENT BOND promises you will pay all subcontractors and material providers utilized in the performance of a contract.

However -- in my line or work -- consumers constantly ask myself (and my competitors) if we are bonded. My business is not bonded, but many of my competitors tell prospective customers that they are bonded because this is what the consumer wants to hear, when in fact they are not bonded and any such bonding is irrelevant to the business we conduct, unless we bid on a government or commercial contract (which we do not). And this is why I say: In my opinion, "licensed, bonded and insured" is a catch phrase often used by marginal service providers; a catch phrase designed to press a hot button with the consumer.

As you point out this is not the case in all states and in all types of industry...but in my industry, and in my state, I stand by what I wrote.

My housekeeper is bonded...otherwise she would never walk through my front door. It's NOT a 'legal' requirement for her, but a requirement by me, and any smart consumer comparing services. You should be bonded...there is a reason people are asking you...I've never been asked.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

My housekeeper is bonded...otherwise she would never walk through my front door. It's NOT a 'legal' requirement for her, but a requirement by me, and any smart consumer comparing services. You should be bonded...there is a reason people are asking you...I've never been asked.
And what kind of bond did your housekeeper obtain?

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

And what kind of bond did your housekeeper obtain?
We have what is called an 'honesty' (or dishonesty) bond with her company, often called a 'fidelity' bond by those who sell them...requires we be named as beneficiary and renews annually. She pays about $40 annually. I pay about $125 a year for my Surety bond.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk