Record Schedule, what is that? (Hikvision)

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No wonder why a company such Hikvision has such a modern technology in low price but with the worst documentation ever.. It is chinese.. English is not my mother tongue and I can understand that I might not be reading and interpreting correctly things on menus but for some reason I just don't get it..

Can someone explain what the "Record Schedule" (and Capture Schedule) is and what is its use? I mean apart from the obvious, does it look that complicated only to me?

I can understand that you can somehow set certain week days/times to record six different types (Continuous, Motion OR Alarm, Alarm, Motion, Motion AND alarm, Event) but what is its use?

I want to have my cameras record ONLY when something happens (event, alarm, motion) and not 24/7 because there is no need to! So what do I select? "Motion | Alarm" or "Event" for all periods? Because I can not seem to be able to put both on every weekday.. And why do I have to enable it in order to record an event, motion or alarm? Shouldn't it just record all weekdays with no exceptions if you don't enable it?

And if I try continuous (which I hope in chinenglish means 24/7), if there is an event triggered or an alarm input will something change (since I haven't selected "event" or "alarm" or "motion | alarm") or since it is on continuous it will record it anyhow..?

Thanks!

Reaction score
When you mark to record 'continuous' (and activate alarm, motion detection and event), it will record 24/7, so you can search the images by date and time; and you can search by event. In this case the 'event' option is just to organize, so if you want to see images of an specific event you don't have to search by date and time, you can go directly to the images of that specific event.

The other record options:
  • Motion - Will record only when motion is detected. (i.e.: when someone pass in front of the camera.)
  • Alarm - Will record only when an alarm is triggered, it can be a system alarm or an outside alarm. Some DVRs have borne to connect alarm sensors.
  • Event - Will record only when specifics events occur. The events options will depend on the DVR system.
I hope this can help you. English is not my mother tongue either.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
people may use scheduling for various reasons, lots of scenarios.. I am using one to trigger a strobe when a tripwire is crossed; but only durring hours when prowlers are active.. would be annoying to strobe out neighbors walking there dogs in the evenings.

My son had seizures as a toddler, also used the schedules to record night time only when he was sleeping.. as I had no need for daytime footage.. the camera's job was to determine if him falling out of bed was the result of sleeping like a windmill, or a seizure.

if you enable both continuous and motion at same time then it will be recorded continuously but motion events and alarms will be still be flagged on the timeline; it wont record duplicate events but it will flag them appropriately in the database.. This is preferred for most applications, as you never risk missing critical footage, and yet dont have to fastforward or click through hours/days of video to find potential events.. storage space is cheap, and recording only on detected activity risks missing critical data; Murphy's law is in full force w/Video Surveillance.

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you enable both continuous and motion at same time then it will be recorded continuously but motion events and alarms will be still be flagged on the timeline;
How do you select continuous and motion at the same time? You can select only one of these (Continuous, Motion OR Alarm, Alarm, Motion, Motion AND alarm, Event) for a specific time of the day..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you may need a firmware update for this functionality; iirc older hikvision nvr's it was a one or the other thing but the newer versions are capable of this behavior.

as always; research hikvision and firmware update nightmares extremely well before proceeding...

MerNion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am not updating the firmware for that :p I would rather record just continuous and if something happens try and find it in the timeline... ;)

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Even with much trying I haven't been able to enable the event "ticks" on the continuous record time line on my DS-7608NI-I2/8P. Since my event emails are now working I now use the Date/Time on the email to find the appropriate spot on the timeline. Works OK...

Reaction score
I hate to revive an old thread, but I am trying to figure this recording stuff out. I have a Hikvision NVR (DS-7616NI-E2 ) and I have set up a line crossing alarm. The alarm works great, however I want recording to start once the alarm is triggered. Seems simple enough, but it isnt. Normally, the camera records on motion. Once I set up the line cross alarm, I have tried just about every option there is in the Recording Schedule section. Right now it is set to Motion & Alarm, but I have also tried Motion | Alarm (which I have no idea what that means and the manual doesn't explain it).

So, what I want is for that camera to record on motion and then if something small crosses the line I have set up, too small to kick off the motion recording, I want it to fire the alert and start recording. Can someone explain how to do that?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's Motion OR Alarm.

For Line Crossing - you need Event, it's a Smart Event, not Motion.
Ok, so I set the recording schedule for that camera to "Event" for all times. Will that still record motion as well, or is that an either or thing? I would like to do both.

MFuller

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this relates to a question I have.

I have a DS-7616NI-K2 / 16P with the latest firmware: V3.4.101 build 180904

When using the web interface, I want to set the NVR to record continuously but also mark when motion detected. So, "Continuous & Motion".

It doesn't seem to be possible, despite having the latest firmware?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to be possible
From the same model, though earlier firmware -
You need Hikvision cameras, playback playing in single camera view, and select 'motion' in the swizzler at the bottom left of the page.
Example from a wet and windy night :
upload_2019-3-12_11-35-41.png

MFuller

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah yes, of course. Someone mentioned that before. Has to be Hikvision cameras. What a shame such a limitation exists :(

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree.
It would be good if the motion marking worked on those onvif cameras that support onvif motion event notifications. But sadly it does not.