Recorded Clips Disappearing

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am having an issue with clips disappearing also there not being any clips even though the event is shown on the timeline.

A second issue I have is I have two hd one a 4tb and one 2tb. i followed Fendermans suggestion to create a separate profile and i see a new folder with some clips in there but no storage folder.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am having an issue with clips disappearing also there not being any clips even though the event is shown on the timeline.

A second issue I have is I have two hd one a 4tb and one 2tb. i followed Fendermans suggestion to create a separate profile and i see a new folder with some clips in there but no storage folder.
What do you mean by disappearing? How old are they? what are you settings for retention of clips?
The timeline will show color even when nothing is recorded if you are using combine and cut. Ether disable it or use the event/motion markers to identify where the motion occurred.
I think you are confusing profiles with folders. You need to tell blue iris where to store recordings, both in the clips and archiving and in the individual camera record tab.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i viewed a clip yesterday and today it is gone. not using combine and cut . dont even know what it is.. i am using the event markers which are there but no clip. retention is set for 7 days. Under the clips and archiving tab
Dont see where i can set up more locations

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i viewed a clip yesterday and today it is gone. not using combine and cut . dont even know what it is.. i am using the event markers which are there but no clip. retention is set for 7 days. Under the clips and archiving tab
Dont see where i can set up more locations
If you dont know what it is, you are using it because its set default. See EACH cameras record tab.
Did you setup a size limit? if yes then it will delete before 7 days if the folder size is reached.
you need to setup aux folders in the clips and archiving tab then in the cameras record tab point the recording to the aux folder.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it says 500 in the size limit. Just a suggestion- i would like to use my whole drive. It isnt the same as the operating system as i believe most people dont have it on the same drive. the default should be the whole drive. How do i remove the size?
i do have aux1 setup that is what i was referring to . sorry when i said profile i didn't remember. i followed your instructions from a previous post

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
it says 500 in the size limit. Just a suggestion- i would like to use my whole drive. It isnt the same as the operating system as i believe most people dont have it on the same drive. the default should be the whole drive. How do i remove the size?
i do have aux1 setup that is what i was referring to . sorry when i said profile i didn't remember. i followed your instructions from a previous post
calculate the size of the drive...remember 1GB is NOT 1000mb...then leave some unused space.
Uncheck the day limitation.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is that amount per folder- meaning the new and storage? how do i use the day limitation and not folder size? shouldnt clicking a day amount disable the folder size?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
is that amount per folder- meaning the new and storage? how do i use the day limitation and not folder size? shouldnt clicking a day amount disable the folder size?
No, the day/size and be used together or separately. There is a checkbox.
You can set a distinct amount PER folder so you need to cycle through the folders and ensure that the combined total does not exceed your capacity.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
there is no check box to use only the clip age and not the size. the check box "limit clip age " Using separately isnt the same as using only amount of days which should have the computer do the calculations. is there No simple feature like most nvrs have that the program looks at the disk size and just uses it.
the limit folder size - is per folder - meaning if i have it at 500gb that would be the size of the new folder and the sie of the storage folder

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
there is no check box to use only the clip age and not the size. the check box "limit clip age " Using separately isnt the same as using only amount of days which should have the computer do the calculations. is there No simple feature like most nvrs have that the program looks at the disk size and just uses it.
the limit folder size - is per folder - meaning if i have it at 500gb that would be the size of the new folder and the sie of the storage folder
Simply uncheck the clip age. IF you only want to use clip age, then set the size artificially high. Tough that is silly since you want to store as much as possible so it makes no sense to use clip age unless you have a requirement to delete files early.
Yes, it is not like a simple NVR. You have much more options with specific folders. Its takes exactly 15 seconds to set this.
You are misunderstanding the size limit. EACH folder has its OWN size limit. You can set the new to 100gb and the stored to 1000 and the aux to 50..etc...thats the beauty of blue iris. This allows you to retain footage from certain cameras longer than others.

bennuss

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
where are those settings i only see one size setting on the clip and archive tab. It says limit folder ize and it isnt clear which folder or for what that is

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
where are those settings i only see one size setting on the clip and archive tab. It says limit folder ize and it isnt clear which folder or for what that is
it changes for each folder. Simply select the folder from the dropdown and make the change.
From the help file
Blue Iris may be configured to automatically move or delete clips based on age and disk space specifications. Each folder is handled completely independently. Each has its own age and disk space quota. The task which actually move files runs once each 5 minutes. In addition to the quotas you specify, Blue Iris also attempts to automatically enforce a rule of maintaining at least 1GB free on the hard drive in order to prevent failed recordings.The size specified with "limit folder size" should fit comfortably on your hard drive. If you are short on space for it, you will see red warning text at the bottom of the window as well as status/messages log entries with double exclamation points !!. You should not allow your drive to fill up as this may cause video and/or database corruption.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have 12 cameras. For some reason 3 of them will not save clips to time line for more than 60 seconds. It started when I set up deepstack. But I don have deepstack selected for these cameras. One is PTZ and I‘m using camera AI. Wasn’t sure if the deepstack being selected would override the cameras AI or visa versa. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 12 cameras. For some reason 3 of them will not save clips to time line for more than 60 seconds. It started when I set up deepstack. But I don have deepstack selected for these cameras. One is PTZ and I‘m using camera AI. Wasn’t sure if the deepstack being selected would override the cameras AI or visa versa. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?
This is due to a new feature in later versions of BI that you could set a max time. Default is 60 seconds.

Open up the camera settings in BI, go to Trigger tab and at the bottom for break-time is a maximum trigger/alert duration. Make that a longer time if needed.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is due to a new feature in later versions of BI that you could set a max time. Default is 60 seconds.

Open up the camera settings in BI, go to Trigger tab and at the bottom for break-time is a maximum trigger/alert duration. Make that a longer time if needed.
Well, I got it to work for now by putting everything on DeepStack. But, now I have this problem. It’s racking up the status alerts like crazy. Doing some research to see if I can figure out what I screwed up now. Thanks

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let's see your clip and archiving tab and the storage capacity screenshot. It appears you overallocated the drive.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep you are overallocated or do not have it set to delete when memory is full.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep you are overallocated or do not have it set to delete when memory is full.
Sorry about the actual screen shoot. My BI computer is not set up to send screen shoot. The other 3 are the cameras that are sending red circle with an X. I’m also getting some green triangles on a few cameras. Thanks

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First thing is there is no reason to move to a stored folder. Just leave it all in new. BI knows where it is and moving it to Stored simply uses more CPU and more HDD moving it all around and shortening the HDD life.

What size drive do you have? Do you have another HDD for video storage or do you only have the C drive?

Post a screen shot showing clip storage from BI status, similar to this posted elsewhere:

1639000438453.png