Recording location files

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again I think all is kosher now. The purpose is not to miss anything as there has been a problem in the neighborhood with someone.
If that is the case, there are more efficient ways of doing so.
1) create a cloned cam and have it record 1fps...continuously...set the cam to hidden so it doesnt appear on the screen. Set combine and cut to 8 or even 24 hours, so you have one file for the day.
2) set your recording threshold much lower, lower make time and increase break time...if you are concerned about false alerts to your phone/email then do as above and create a cloned camera, but for alerts only..then increase the threshold so you dont get false alerts....
The way you are doing it is inefficiency both space wise and all those hundreds of thousands of files are very taxing on windows as you can see when you try and open folders...they also tax blue iris when it indexes them and creates them...
Also if you are missing motion events make sure object detect/reject is NOT checked in the motion tab...

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it possible to have videos go to one folder and jpeg to another folder for each cam? You are suggesting not using continuous recording?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to have videos go to one folder and jpeg to another folder for each cam? You are suggesting not using continuous recording?
Technically it is possible by using the posting feature and or using cloned cameras with the second camera only taking snapshots...but hundreds of thousands of snapshots is overkill...
my suggestions were based on the assumption that your were not currently using continuous record...f you are are already using continuous then why are you concerned that you will miss anything and how will snapshots help? why all the snapshots?

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Because the video is somewhat jumpy so I thought better be safe and have a snap a second. I also have snaps upon motion being emailed. What do you mean by cloned cameras - literally two cameras?

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also let's say someone is driving by, the snap a second gets the car in one position, the snaps upon motion gets the car in a different position, so not much is missed.

- - - Updated - - -

should I decrease my fps on each cam?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If your video is jumpy you need to resolve that rather than taxing your system with all these snapshots..
By cloned i mean creating a second camera in blue iris...there is one physical camera outside but you can enter the same ip address and credentials and create a duplicate camera with alternate settings in blue iris.

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry to keep bothering you but am confused - I think all of my cams are cloned, I have my Foscam settings internally set within the cams, and then blue iris settings via the software. Maybe I am misunderstanding what the difference is between record a snap a second and posting jpeg.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You dont have them cloned...any motion or snapshot recording settings you have in the foscam are disregarded by blue iris.
Recording and posting snapshots are just two ways of doing it and used for different purposes..regardless for your purpose you should not be using either...
but if you want to you can set it up one of the ways i indicated above but my recommendation would be to not take any snapshots...keep in mind that if the video is choppy because you have a poor connection with the camera, the snapshot will be choppy as well..blue iris is just pulling the snapshot from the video stream.

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see that posting is for uploading to a web server so I turned that off. You are saying either use continuous recording with no snaps or just use snaps upon motion trigger?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see that posting is for uploading to a web server so I turned that off. You are saying either use continuous recording with no snaps or just use snaps upon motion trigger?
Im saying you should not be using snaps at all....
Let me ask this are you currently using motion detection or continuous recording?

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have: 1) continuous recording; 2) a jpeg a second; 3) motion triggering at most sensitive level, and then in alerts tab, emails upon motion triggering.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are continuously recording there is no point of the jpegs...its just a waste of resources..

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My cpu usage is around 40% but browsing to find files takes a long time. I just don't want to miss something.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My cpu usage is around 40% but browsing to find files takes a long time. I just don't want to miss something.
My point is if you are recording 24/7 you cannot miss anything..if there is an issue with your video stream because your cameras have a poor connection then the issue will be present in the snapshots because all blue iris does is take a snapshot if the video stream..you are not benefiting at all from the snapshot function..its just causing a hassle for you..

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with reviewing surveillance footage that's storage in a NAS from a different computer inside the house that doesn't have the BI software installed in it. I've been doing that for a long time and encouraged my dad to do so to, as my dad isn't very computer literate. The PC we use to host the BI software will be decommissioned sometime this month or next month, as it's just an old desktop PC and I've been hovering around 85-98% CPU usage with just 2 HikVision cameras on that old PC.

Today, I've been experimenting with storing surveillance footage on different folders in a NAS, as we now have more than 1 camera installed. This will make it easier for my dad to distinguish between what's what when you have all surveillance footage stored & cramped inside the same directory. Camera 1 will be stored in camera1 folder, Camera 2 will be stored in camera2 folder, etc... This is done for two reasons: 1) I have it set to store footage for 2 months and that's a lot of files and 2) because I originally planned to move everything over to an actual server PC so I can do administrative work remotely (if need be). This new server PC will be on an ESXi 5.5 platform with 16 Gigs of RAM and will running both Windows Server & Linux in VM.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct, there is nothing wrong with doing so, however, it is inefficient, particularly if you are using BI4 with the timeline.

marc463

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried to find an answer somewhere but can't. BI 4 latest, main screen has the clip organizer on the right with folders All, New, Stored, Alerts. How can I make it show Aux1, 2, 3.... or any other folder? Camera setting has only New and Stored, how can I add more folders? For me the timeline is useless since my screen is 4096x2160 and the timeline is just minuscule. Right now 1 camera is in the New folder and the other one in Stored folder. Makes it much easier to go over the clips then in All.
Thanks Marc

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried to find an answer somewhere but can't. BI 4 latest, main screen has the clip organizer on the right with folders All, New, Stored, Alerts. How can I make it show Aux1, 2, 3.... or any other folder? Camera setting has only New and Stored, how can I add more folders? For me the timeline is useless since my screen is 4096x2160 and the timeline is just minuscule. Right now 1 camera is in the New folder and the other one in Stored folder. Makes it much easier to go over the clips then in All.
Thanks Marc
You need to point them to a folder in clips and archiving