Recordings for your eyes only?

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure if this is where I should ask this but here it goes.

I have a good amount of cameras surrounding my house and for the first time have been asked by a neighbor for assistance.

Not really close with my neighbors just friendly.
Pretty much keep to myself.

Apparently neighbors friends car was hit in front of my house and they asked if I could investigate. Come to find out it was someone else in the neighborhood.

Would you get involved?
I really don’t want the other neighbor turning on me as it would be pretty clear where the info came from, crazy camera house.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some do some don't, but yeah I have had neighbors turn on me. I had a similar situation as well.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
No one but the police get full videos or stills.

On occasion, I may give someone a cropped screenshot or video that doesn't show the entire field of view.

And on these occasions, that's only if the event occured in a place where people assume I record. I have both streets (I live on a corner lot) covered including the sidewalks on the opposite side of the streets.

To play it safe, I'd tell the neighbour to file a police and/or insurance report. Then supply any relevant video to police and/or their insurance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the neighbor hit it by accident but didn't want to fess up. If that is the case I would tell the victim who there perp was and ask them to simply indicate there was a witness (without further detail) and that if he pays up for the damage, it wont be reported as a hit and run.

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like the neighbor hit it by accident but didn't want to fess up. If that is the case I would tell the victim who there perp was and ask them to simply indicate there was a witness (without further detail) and that if he pays up for the damage, it wont be reported as a hit and run.
I sent you the evidence. Hard to say it was an accident from what I saw.

Reaction score
Everyone knows and can see all the cameras on my house (18). I display them proudly. I have turned in neighbors for dumping trash, and I will do it again. If the neighbors have no character and can't stand up and say I made a mistake, they are not good neighbors and who cares what they think.

Reaction score
Each person's cam situation and neighborhood is different. What works for one, may not work for another.

I have supplied video, stills, and summaries to law enforcement several times. I have only supplied video and stills to the neighbor once. In that case, the perp was just too far away for my cams to get much. Time, color and make of pickup truck was all.

There were two incidents that happened this past year where I chose to only supply LE and not the neighbors. This was due to the actual issue and who the neighbors were. I have decided that in the future, I would only supply LE unless the situation warrants something different.

Now door checkers running the hood is different. I will give it to LE, any neighbors that ask, and post it online. Pricks.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got a family of LOSERS living a few houses west of me and on the other side of the street. I actually installed a camera and pointed it directly at their house and have supplied information to the local police department several times. Even got one of their dogs picked up and euthanized by animal control because of my cameras. And those slimebags know I'm watching them twenty-four hours a day and that I am armed. The punk kids that live there have changed their nighttime routines.

What's funny is how many neighbors know I have cameras watching the street and yet they don't ask for help when something happens to one of their vehicles. So those videos are for my enjoyment only.

Back on topic, yes, I'd supply the requested information to the individual who asked for help on who damaged the vehicle.

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got a family of LOSERS living a few houses west of me and on the other side of the street. I actually installed a camera and pointed it directly at their house and have supplied information to the local police department several times. Even got one of their dogs picked up and euthanized by animal control because of my cameras. And those slimebags know I'm watching them twenty-four hours a day and that I am armed. The punk kids that live there have changed their nighttime routines.

What's funny is how many neighbors know I have cameras watching the street and yet they don't ask for help when something happens to one of their vehicles. So those videos are for my enjoyment only.

Back on topic, yes, I'd supply the requested information to the individual who asked for help on who damaged the vehicle.
I'm in the same situation with a family of losers living on the same block a few doors down.

The guy actually stole my downstairs neighbour's patio chairs last August at 10:20pm at night! I had him on 8 cameras including the cam that is "coincidentally" pointing at his house while it monitors the street in front of his.

When the cops arrested him the next day, he was hiding under the bed and the chairs were still in his house.

I have a post from last week where someone tried to break into their house and the suspect ran down the street with what appears to be a knife in his hand. So these folks are up to something and it's just a matter of time before the police, or some one of their enemies, resolves their issues.

And I hope to get it all on video.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation with a family of losers living on the same block a few doors down.

The guy actually stole my downstairs neighbour's patio chairs last August at 10:20pm at night! I had him on 8 cameras including the cam that is "coincidentally" pointing at his house while it monitors the street in front of his.

When the cops arrested him the next day, he was hiding under the bed and the chairs were still in his house.

I have a post from last week where someone tried to break into their house and the suspect ran down the street with what appears to be a knife in his hand. So these folks are up to something and it's just a matter of time before the police, or some one of their enemies, resolves their issues.

And I hope to get it all on video.
You guys need to post to the Camera Captures section for all of us to see.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've shared videos with my next door neighbors a few times in the past when their items were stolen from their front yard. I make a copy of the videos in USB drive and give it to them with no sound. Also shared a video with a neighbor from down the block once, he and his wife said their baby stroller was stolen from them. He got his own security camera and video but not clear capture of the face.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I've shared videos with my next door neighbors a few times in the past when their items were stolen from their front yard. I make a copy of the videos in USB drive and give it to them with no sound. Also shared a video with a neighbor from down the block once, he and his wife said their baby stroller was stolen from them. He got his own security camera and video but not clear capture of the face.
I do the same. I share my video with the neighbors if they request it. That kind of makes my cameras a neighborhood watch. I also make sure that they know that the cameras are mostly recording, and no one is spying on them 24/7.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a lady come by this afternoon to look at some video. She lives around the corner from me and the catalytic converter was stolen off of her Prius at 3 am this morning. The car was a black sedan but did not come by my house. I could see it on my overview camera. However, before this occurred a light grey pickup truck was cruising the neighborhood driving up an down the streets. This was about 10 minutes before the black car. They both went up the same street at the end. I was able to give the license plate number to her and all the video that I do have. Here is the plate number of the truck.

Converter Truck Plate.jpg