Relationship between in-camera detection settings and NVR?

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First let me say that putzing with NVR's is new to me - specifically NVR's that are capable of communication with IP cameras that is.

I recently played around for the first time with such an NVR (Hikvision DS-7208HUHI-K1) and managed to connect a couple of Dahau cameras to it using Onvif. One of the cameras was already set up to do in-camera video detection (area-change detection) and I noticed that when I went to set up area detection in the NVR that the area pattern that was in the camera had somehow been transfered to the NVR for that camera. So I'm wondering - is this normal / to be expected? That the various detection methods that are set up in-camera (area change, line crossing, face detect, etc) will somehow be transfered over to the NVR and the NVR will use those same rules/settings for video recording? I would have thought that only the video stream was sent between the camera and NVR and not these sophisticated motion-detection schemes.

What is generally done in this regard? When connecting IP cameras to NVR's is it typical to turn off all in-camera detection and set everything in the NVR? Or is in-camera detection more efficient (or more sophisticated) and if you set up something like face detect or people detect in the camera, that somehow the NVR will get a trigger signal and record video segments based on the in-camera detection?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
AFAIK, the cameras do the actual processing behind motion detection and simply signal the NVR as to when motion was detected.

As you noticed, basic motion detection works over ONVIF, allowing it to work when the NVR and cameras aren’t the same brand (like a Hikvision NVR with Dahua cameras).

Advanced camera motion detection (Dahua IVS, Hikvision Smart Events) doesn’t seem to be part of ONVIF and usually only works when the NVR brand specifically matches the camera brand, or the NVR supports PullPoint subscriptions (like Blue Iris).

I would not expect that if you setup IVS rules on your Dahua cameras that they would transfer over/work on a Hikvision NVR.

That’s how I understand it. If I’m off, someone will chime in!

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So these various IP-capable NVR's -> they really don't do any of their own event detection (with IP cameras that is)? Or perhaps some models do? Or perhaps Dahau NVR's do and Hikvision doesn't?

And when I set up a basic area/sensitivity detection, that what the NVR is doing is transfering my settings over to the camera?

With regard to the event-detection capability with Hikvision NVR + Dahau camera (or vice-versa) - is there not enough of an experience base here on IPcamtalk to know what works and what doesn't work when it comes to this sort of intraoperability?

Can I assume that if I pair a Hikvision IP camera with Hikvision NVR (or Dahau camera with Dahau NVR) that ALL the various event-detection schemes that are possible in the camera will be available/usable to the NVR (but it may mean I have to set them up in the camera)?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So these various IP-capable NVR's -> they really don't do any of their own event detection (with IP cameras that is)? Or perhaps some models do? Or perhaps Dahau NVR's do and Hikvision doesn't?

And when I set up a basic area/sensitivity detection, that what the NVR is doing is transfering my settings over to the camera?

With regard to the event-detection capability with Hikvision NVR + Dahau camera (or vice-versa) - is there not enough of an experience base here on IPcamtalk to know what works and what doesn't work when it comes to this sort of intraoperability?
yes, there is not enough experience with your oh so tough question:rolleyes:...60k users and 300k posts, but you have us stumped. This has been discussed ad nauseam.
Did you not read the response here or in the other 500 threads this is discussed in?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR is using the ONVIF protocol to do negotiated basic management of the camera, after discovering which capabilities the camera supports via the ONVIF 'Discover' dialogues over the network.

Can I assume that if I pair a Hikvision IP camera with Hikvision NVR (or Dahau camera with Dahau NVR) that ALL the various event-detection schemes that are possible in the camera will be available/usable to the NVR (but it may mean I have to set them up in the camera)?
Generally but not totally true - the fine detail varies a little with both NVR and IP camera firmware revisions in terms of exactly what 'smart events' are supported.
For example, early Hikvision IP camera firmware did not have intrusion detection and line crossing detection.

The various ONVIF profiles provide base-level interoperability, which might not include events such as motion, it varies with the specific ONVIF implementation and version.
Not all the capabilities in the profiles are mandatory, each brand may implement a subset.

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So it's a given then that (some/many/all) NVR's really don't do event detection on video from IP cameras but instead allow you to set event parameters in their GUI that they then transfer to the camera (and hence the camera does the event detection)? And either through onvif or a proprietary method they know what event-types to offer you because of what info they get from the camera?

But it may be possible to setup a detection event in the camera that is not offered through the NVR GUI and that event will work as long as the camera and NVR agree on a generic event-trigger (ie record-on / record-off) signal method? (or maybe I'm reading too much into this and this situation does not exist?)

In terms of whether the NVR has dedicated ethernet IP-camera ports or relies on network communication with IP cameras, that particular detail does (or doesn't) predict whether an NVR will offer the user more sophisticated event-detection schemes? Or perhaps record at higher resolutions?

But in any case, when an analog camera video signal (coax) is connected to an NVR, the NVR has no choice - it must perform it's own event detection and it will present the user with a set list of detection schemes.